Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Squatter`s Rights

BarryMcGuire

REIN Member
New Blog Post:

We've all heard this expression, and we kind of understand it. Someone occupies or 'squats' on someone else's property and somehow, in some way, in some amount of time, the `squatter` obtains some kind of legal rights.

But, that's an ancient law, right? It probably doesn't apply anymore, one of those legal myths.

Wrong!

Squatter`s rights, otherwise known to lawyers as 'Adverse Possession' is alive and well in Alberta. BIG NOTE: Adverse Possession laws very widely across Canada from province to province.

The legal rules surrounding Adverse Possession are actually quite well-known and easily provable in many circumstances. Our Neil Fenna here at Ritchie Mill Law Office has just won an amazing victory in an Adverse Possession court battle.

Click here to read more.

Barry

PS: I'm skating for Alzheimer's. My 95 year old Dad has Alzheimer's and it's pretty grim. So I'm doing my bit by participating in the Scotia Bank Gordie and Colleen Howe Alzheimer Hockey Tournament. Click here to support me and make a donation

<http://bit.ly/Az06Mt>.

bizaro86

Registered
Very interesting, thank you for sharing that.

I was surprised to see the decision quote US cases in support of a common law argument, I would have expected that to be relatively uncommon in the Canadian legal system.

Michael

RossNeufeld

Registered
Different question about "squatters".

If a tenant was to perform an upgrade in the home, such as new faucets, light fixtures ect, with their own money, time, and resources, does that give them any kind "squatter" rights?

Top Bottom