Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tenant damage advice..

BREAKRZ

Inspired Forum Member
Registered
Hello, I just paid $1500 for a blown sewer pump replacement due to tenant negligence from stuffing wipes down the toilet. She was specifically warned not to throw anything other than toilet paper down the toilet and even signed a separate document because I was so paranoid of this sewer/pump system malfunctioning.

So my problem is she is claiming she can't afford the repair, she is in her 70's on a small gov. pension. She does however have tenant liability insurance, would this cover the repair?

Any recommendations on how to handle this situation?

Property is in Barrie, Ontario

Cory Sperle

REIN Member
If it was me and she was a good tenant and I planned to keep her I would just chalk it up to the cost of doing business. For the amount you are talking about it would be more of a headache to go through an insurance claim than it would be worth.

Tina Myrvang

Client Care Lead
Staff member
REIN Member
What is your deductible? Could be more than the repair.....

BREAKRZ

Inspired Forum Member
Registered
What is your deductible? Could be more than the repair.....

My deductible is $1000, not worth the trouble in my opinion but would the tenants liability insurance cover damage? I need to research this.

Sent from my iPhone using myREINspace

Matt Crowley

REIN Member
In Alberta, tenants cannot wave their right to less than their rights under the RTA... I believe article 3(1). So that agreement you had her sign in Alberta would be thrown out. My expectation is there is something similar in Ontario.

I'd be careful with agreements like that. A lawyer could argue conduct of a a landlord, failing to perform duties of a landlord...

Top Bottom