Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tenant needs an intent to rent form, mentioned Ontario Works..?

Nir

REIN Member
Hi again,

A potential tenant mentioned he will need "an intent to rent form". He was told "from Ontario Works that the landlord just make up the intent to rent form its almost like a receipt".

I guess i have no issue providing it but can anyone explain what he means, why he needs it(?)

(fyi I think he receives EI, his girl friend will be responsible for rent payments)

THANKS,
Neil

klewlis

Registered
QUOTE (investmart @ Jan 6 2009, 09:48 PM) Hi again,

A potential tenant mentioned he will need "an intent to rent form". He was told "from Ontario Works that the landlord just make up the intent to rent form its almost like a receipt".

I guess i have no issue providing it but can anyone explain what he means, why he needs it(?)

(fyi I think he receives EI, his girl friend will be responsible for rent payments)

THANKS,
Neil

Does he mean a rent report? (Is that the same in ON as it is in AB?)

I assume that Ontario Works is like Alberta Works (now called AEI)? In that case they want the form so that they can give him the rental amount (in Alberta, the rental amount is separate from the living expenses amount).

eta: Alberta Works is social assistance, not EI.

Mike Milovick

Registered
Hi Neil;

I would look at this as a request for a tenant application - something showing that he has applied for tenancy at your building - and has provided you with a contract deposit (cash, cheque) to review the application.

REIN`s leases I believe have an application form. You can also pick up nice, up-to-date application form (reflecting latest Privacy Legislation) and lease from various landlord groups including Waterloo Region Apartment Manager`s Assocation (Hi again,

THANKS,
Neil

Ready4Rent

Registered
QUOTE (investmart @ Jan 6 2009, 10:48 PM) Hi again,

THANKS,
Neil

Neil,

I have never heard of an intent to rent form from Ontario Works, the only form they use (that I know of) is a "rent verification form" which is signed upon their acceptance of the unit. It spells out the rent amount, weather heat and hydro are included etc. They use this sheet to send you the rent amounts.

John

rforgiel

REIN Member
Neil,

I have rented to someone from Ontario Works and I did not need to fill in an "intent to rent form". In fact I did not need to fill anything out but just went by the normal application and lease procedure. It is up to the individual to fill out the proper forms and submit them to the case worker.

My place was in Hamilton and it was handled rather casually. I spoke to the case worker to make sure everything was on the up and up she informed me the checks would be coming directly to me. I asked for some sort of chit or proof the checks were in the mail. They would not do this and said I would have to take their word for it. The checks came and are still coming, the tenant moved in and so far it is going well.

Regards,
Ramon Forgiel

Nir

REIN Member
Thank You All for the explanation.

As mentioned I planned to put his girl friend as responsible for rent payment since she is working and he is not. Do you agree with the approach? not sure any more as sounds like some of you believe that Ontario Works actually always pays on time etc. I did not inform them yet of my plan to show his girl friend as repsonsible for paying rent. Should I reconsider that as perhaps they might benefit from showing him as paying rent to ensure Ontario Work pays their rent or something!? Also, if this is the case I guess they might no longer be interested if I put her as responsible for payments(?)

Regards,
Neil

rforgiel

REIN Member
Neil,

The general rule is you put all adults on the lease. In this case I am not sure Ontario Works will pay the rent. They may only pay a portion. Ontario Works will pay on time what they say they will. To get the checks sent directly to you, the tenant has to agree to and direct Ontario Works to send you the checks. It is still the tenant`s money and they have control over it. It sounds like you are doing a lot of the paper work for Ontario Works. Have them do the paper work and follow up with the case worker to make sure everything is set.

Although my one case with an Ontario Works tenant is working out fine, I have had a lot of Ontario Works people fill out applications and not got the place.

Don`t know if this answers your question. If you want Ontario Works to pick up the whole rent you may have to put him on as the lone tenant and look the other way for her; probably and dangerous strategy or put them both on the lease and see what Ontario Works will kick in.

Regards,
Ramon Forgiel

Nir

REIN Member
Thanks Ramon,

Regardless of Ontario Works, I heard it is recommended to put only ONE as responsible for paying rent (in case one of them leaves in the middle or something). Show both as living there in the lease but only ONE is responsible for payments. also mention who will be responsible to pay if someone leaves so you are not stuck with a person trying to negotiate new terms with you or something not willing to leave..

Cheers,
Neil

klewlis

Registered
If you`re relatively confident that they will be stable, it would be beneficial for them if you put the rent amount on his report so that they get the money from OW. That way they can use her income to live on instead of paying rent (they get more money, overall, that way). This is good for them but also may increase their stability as renters, since they will not be scrambling for money as much. You get the same amount either way.

Also, with third-party rent from OW, you actually have less risk of the rent not getting paid, since it depends on the system rather than on the tenant. The system is pretty good, aside from the odd computer glitch or mistakes by the worker.

eta: all assuming that OW is similar to Alberta!

gregg

REIN Member
Neil,

We have 22 tenants on Ontario Works (out of 71 units) and never had a problem. The tenant does require "intent to rent" forms signed by the landlord and they use this to indicate start up cost only. Once the process is in place it runs rather smoothly. You receive direct payment monthly.

Gregg (in Sudbury, ON)

QUOTE (klewlis @ Jan 8 2009, 12:43 PM) If you`re relatively confident that they will be stable, it would be beneficial for them if you put the rent amount on his report so that they get the money from OW. That way they can use her income to live on instead of paying rent (they get more money, overall, that way). This is good for them but also may increase their stability as renters, since they will not be scrambling for money as much. You get the same amount either way.

Also, with third-party rent from OW, you actually have less risk of the rent not getting paid, since it depends on the system rather than on the tenant. The system is pretty good, aside from the odd computer glitch or mistakes by the worker.

eta: all assuming that OW is similar to Alberta!

Nir

REIN Member
Thanks Greg!

Didn`t have a computer for 2 days so only saw your response now.

I`m in Sudbury next week for a few days. The apartment I showed you is finally ready for rent
coffee on me if you`re available

gregg

REIN Member
Neil,

As usual just let me know when and I would be happy to meet with you. I will always do my best to meet with any REIN members interested in the Sudbury market just send me an email message at Thanks Greg!

Didn`t have a computer for 2 days so only saw your response now.

I`m in Sudbury next week for a few days. The apartment I showed you is finally ready for rent
coffee on me if you`re available

emarsig

Registered
Hi there,

There is quite some confusion: Let me clarify everything (we have done many of these forms)

- Ontario works is Social Service. They pay the tenants towards their rent, in an amount within their guidelines.
- The "Intent to rent form" is a declaration that you intent to rent to the individual named on the form. I have a sample for anyone who wishes to receive one.
- Ontario Works pays the tenant the rent and you can collect from the tenant (if he wants to pay you... or he buys other more pleasurable things...)

SO, here is how you can have a very well paying tenant:
1. He indicates s/he is on Social Assistance.
2. Get his Social Worker`s phone number and office address.
3. Speak to the social worker and get their "intent to rent form" faxed to you. Also try to find out how long in the future the tenant is expected to be on Ontario Works assistance.
4. Tell the social worker to request direct payment of rent from Ontario Works your account (or cheques, as the case may be).
5. Ask the tenant to call the social worker and cofirm with them that they will pay the rent to you directly.
6. Get signed direction from the tenant instructing Ontario Works to pay you directly.
7. Fax the intent to rent form TOGETHER with the signed tenant`s direction to Ontario Works/ attention the social worker.
8. If you get direct payments for the rent from Ontario Works, it is ok to have only one tenant on the lease, even if he has a partner. However you must be aware that the partner has to move out (and may resist) if the original tenant is not paying rent.

I hope this helps. If you run into problems... I am here to help.

dbutler

Registered
QUOTE (emarsig @ Jan 12 2009, 07:33 PM) Hi there,

There is quite some confusion: Let me clarify everything (we have done many of these forms)

- Ontario works is Social Service. They pay the tenants towards their rent, in an amount within their guidelines.
- The "Intent to rent form" is a declaration that you intent to rent to the individual named on the form. I have a sample for anyone who wishes to receive one.
- Ontario Works pays the tenant the rent and you can collect from the tenant (if he wants to pay you... or he buys other more pleasurable things...)

3. Speak to the social worker and get their "intent to rent form" faxed to you. Also try to find out how long in the future the tenant is expected to be on Ontario Works assistance.
4. Tell the social worker to request direct payment of rent from Ontario Works your account (or cheques, as the case may be).
5. Ask the tenant to call the social worker and cofirm with them that they will pay the rent to you directly.
6. Get signed direction from the tenant instructing Ontario Works to pay you directly.
7. Fax the intent to rent form TOGETHER with the signed tenant`s direction to Ontario Works/ attention the social worker.
8. If you get direct payments for the rent from Ontario Works, it is ok to have only one tenant on the lease, even if he has a partner. However you must be aware that the partner has to move out (and may resist) if the original tenant is not paying rent.

Thanks for the great check list. I will certainly follow it as I am also considering my first OW application in Hamilton. Is their a cap that OW will pay for rent, I`ve met a couple people on OW whom have both indicated that the rental amount is a non issue as it is fully covered. I don`t want to assume that this is the case and then end up with only a portion of the rent coming in from OW, especially given that I am demanding above market value rent for the place. I have a mom of a young baby who plans on going to school next year, she is applying with her common law and her brother. Common law doesn`t work either but her brother is a cabinet making apprentice. What is the best way to ensure that I have the most amount of rent possible coming in from OW and my butt is covered?

val74

Registered
Ernst, thank you so much for the clarification. We have just received a couple of ON Works applications and it has all been a little overwhelming.

I feel much better about the process and the tenant stability. I`ll definitely be sure to get the cheques sent directly to me.

Groovy.

CarrieKoch

Registered
This is the form from simcoe county that we use:
OW - Intent to rent

We also attach a signed document from the tenant that says they agree to have rent paid direct (the ONLY way we will rent to Ontario Works or Disability recipients), and that they allow communication between us and their case worker.

Assistance recipients can work out well as tenants but it has to be carefully managed. At any time they can call their worker and stop direct payment in essence taking their rent money and doing whatever they want with it. And there really is nothing a landlord can do at this point...and Ontario Works is none to helpful to the landlord in making sure that they get paid. Tenants usually live for free for a couple months until they get evicted and then Ontario Works starts paying the new landlord without any repercussions. My big issue with the system. I think this is how they all end up with a bigger tv than me!

invst4profit

Registered
QUOTE (dbutler @ Jan 24 2009, 06:30 PM) Thanks for the great check list. I will certainly follow it as I am also considering my first OW application in Hamilton. Is their a cap that OW will pay for rent, I`ve met a couple people on OW whom have both indicated that the rental amount is a non issue as it is fully covered. I don`t want to assume that this is the case and then end up with only a portion of the rent coming in from OW, especially given that I am demanding above market value rent for the place. I have a mom of a young baby who plans on going to school next year, she is applying with her common law and her brother. Common law doesn`t work either but her brother is a cabinet making apprentice. What is the best way to ensure that I have the most amount of rent possible coming in from OW and my butt is covered?

This is not a safe situation you are entering into and there is no way to guarantee you can cover your butt. As pointed out tenants can and often do stop direct payment soon after becoming a tenant. Your protection then, if they stop paying rent, is report them to there case worker. This is your most powerful tool. This prevents them from receiving any farther assistance until there rent is paid. Unfortunately by that time they usually have no way to catch up on rent payments and eviction is your only recourse.

Often they are only entitled to a portion of the rent not the entire amount meaning you will still have to collect a portion directly from the tenant as well.
Also you may discover that one or both may start working under the table to receive income there by cheating the government program.

You need to do a very thorough back ground check, there credit probably is in the toilet, but you need the contact information on at least two previous LLs. Try to get the info from both the applicants and there case worker. You must find out if they have been evicted before or moved for non payment of rent. If there is any resistance or excuses toss there application in the garbage and run.

You also need to be aware that in the case of non payment you can not take them to small claims court to garnish there government income. They are untouchable.

If I were in your position I would not risk taking this bunch in and try to find a legitimate reason to reject. If you do take them insist all
tenants be on the lease regardless of who is responsible for paying. If they resist it means they are probably already cheating the government and potentially a high risk for you. I mean a higher risk than they already are.

Remember this business is risky and you are taking on a added risk with these tenants.

housingrental

Registered
Hi
Isn`t the problem with this process they can just cancel payment to you and have it sent directly to them after they`ve moved in?

QUOTE (emarsig @ Jan 12 2009, 07:33 PM) Hi there,

Nir

REIN Member
QUOTE (housingrental @ Feb 7 2010, 10:38 PM) Hi
Isn`t the problem with this process they can just cancel payment to you and have it sent directly to them after they`ve moved in?
Greg, Adam, not a problem usually! if the tenant does that he/she risks losing their benefits and/or relationship with their case worker.
I NEVER saw a case where they get paid by government but do not pay you. I`m sure it can happen but rarely.

invst4profit

Registered
Unfortunately it is all too common to have problems with low income tenants. The Ontario Landlord site has many LLs with tales of woe having dealt with tenants on government assistance. They definitely require more hands on management.

The general consensus is that avoiding this category of tenant eliminates a risk factor associated with low income tenants.

It is wise to not fall into the misconception that all is safe because the government is guaranteeing there rent. They do not and you are definitely dealing with a lower quality tenant pool adding inherent risk.

Top Bottom