Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tenant Wants to Extend Deck

RE123RE

Inspired Forum Member
Registered
Hello,

A friend has a dilemma - his tenants who live in a 4 bedroom apartment in a triplex, asked if they can extend the front deck. I think they want to do that mainly for additional storage as they have Lots of items in the apartment which they collect and no room to move freely or for any additional item.
The tenants have a friend who can do the work - double the deck's length (depth) from 7 feet to 14 feet, at no cost to my friend. If my friend agrees, there will be less grass in their front yard and and the deck will reach 2 feet from the sidewalk/road instead of 9 feet from the road sidewalk today.
They are good long term tenants who moved in 11 years ago!
Only issue is they keep many items in the unit as mentioned which do not leave much room for them to move inside.

Would you agree to their request?

Thank you

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
You need a development permit. If OKed by city, why not ?

2ft from property line likely will NOT be approved though although you could ask for a variance.

Martin1968

Frequent Forum Member
Registered
No I no I would not. Even have a clause in my leases that tenants aren't allowed to do any renovations or construction to any of the rented space. They are also not allowed to use decks as storage (within reason) That doesn't mean you don't want to consider and discuss with them, to keep (I assume) good long term tenants.
Maybe placing a small shed will do the trick for them, however in any case I would do the work myself, or have it done, making sure all permits are in place and take care of the cost myself and turn around and raise the rent.

Tina Myrvang

Client Care Lead
Staff member
REIN Member
I agree with Thomas and Martin. Do not allow them to make any alterations without approval from you and proper permits from the city. I would also look into their friend that is doing the work. Make sure you have an agreement drawn up that he can't come after you later for supplies etc.!

Top Bottom