Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Top 10 BC Investment Towns

ChrisDavies

Registered
I heard that the new BC Top Towns report was coming out this weekend. Anyone have the list and want to share?

blazer

Registered
QUOTE (ChrisDavies @ Mar 8 2009, 12:32 PM) I heard that the new BC Top Towns report was coming out this weekend. Anyone have the list and want to share?
I would also love to here what the Top 10 for BC looked like.

BG

greg12

Registered
There were some surprises to say the least. After seeing this, you wonder what other preconceived ideas in your mind could be shattered by unbiased research work.

1. Surrey
2. Maple Ridge & Pitt Meadows
3. Abbotsford
4. Kamloops
5a.Dawson Creek
5b.Fort St.John
6. Kelowna
7. Comox valley
8. Penticton
9. Vancouver
10.Prince George
11.Vernon

Mitch Collins

Inspired Forum Member
REIN Member
QUOTE (greg12 @ Mar 9 2009, 10:40 AM) There were some surprises to say the least. After seeing this, you wonder what other preconceived ideas in your mind could be shattered by unbiased research work.

1. Surrey
2. Maple Ridge & Pitt Meadows
3. Abbotsford
4. Kamloops
5a.Dawson Creek
5b.Fort St.John
6. Kelowna
7. Comox valley
8. Penticton
9. Vancouver
10.Prince George
11.Vernon
Wow..I wonder if Fort St. John and Dawson Creek didn`t top the list due to lack of good PM companies?

I would assume it`s quite difficult to find real cash flow in areas other than Northern BC - I`m interested to see the study.

Anyone that was there want to chime in on what was said?

Thanks

Noel

Registered
QUOTE (MitchCollins @ Mar 9 2009, 12:55 PM) Wow..I wonder if Fort St. John and Dawson Creek didn`t top the list due to lack of good PM companies?

I would assume it`s quite difficult to find real cash flow in areas other than Northern BC - I`m interested to see the study.

Thanks
Yes, they agree that active property management is critical, Mitch.

The growth in the area "has overwhelmed many of the services in the region".
The gas exploration cycles and the area being a smaller market also come into play.

jamievaughan10

Registered
QUOTE (MitchCollins @ Mar 9 2009, 12:55 PM) Wow..I wonder if Fort St. John and Dawson Creek didn`t top the list due to lack of good PM companies?

Thanks
So what is the situation with the Property Management up in the Dawson Creek/ Fort St. John area? Are there no decent companies? I am thinking of investing up there, but a PM company is critical to having a successful investment. Are there any REIN members that are looking to set something up?

Mitch Collins

Inspired Forum Member
REIN Member
Hello;

I`ll just chime in quick here -

Dawson Creek has NO PM companies at all. For larger buildings, there is a PM company out of FSJ that will attempt to hire a live in caretaker to manage, but it`s still not very great.

As far as Fort St. John, there is 3 PM companies - Sterling Mgmt, LiCar Management and Pace. Forget about Sterling, Licar isn`t TERRIBLE, but they still don`t advertise online, or proactively try to attain 0% vacancy.

Pace is new, not sure what type of review to give them.

I live in FSJ, and bought my first 5 properties within a block from my house...made life easy for the management, etc!

I believe FSJ and DC are set up to do tremendously well (compared to most other centres in BC) when you look at the affordability index, rent levels, population growth, income increasing, etc.

Hope this helps!

Mitch

QUOTE (jamievaughan10 @ Mar 11 2009, 10:44 AM) So what is the situation with the Property Management up in the Dawson Creek/ Fort St. John area? Are there no decent companies? I am thinking of investing up there, but a PM company is critical to having a successful investment. Are there any REIN members that are looking to set something up?

solhutson

Registered
Interested in input from the group here on investing in Victoria. Some pros and cons as I see them:

Pro...
- low vacancy
- a `blind eye` policy on suites (at least from what I recall when I lived there)
- limited land availability (supply/demand should keep pricing fairly firm)
- transportation hub (at least for Van. Isle. -> `International` airport, harbor to harbor flights to Van., direct ferry service to Seattle or Port Angeles, ferry service to Van etc. etc.
- diverse economy (government, universities, tech startups, manufacturing, tourism etc.)
- highly desireable retirement location for our aging demographics!

Con...
- high rental turnover (lots of student rentals...of course this comes with a whole host of both opportunities and challanges)
- high purchase price (difficult to cashflow)

It may not be high growth but I can`t help but think there could be some great long term potential.

Your thoughts??

Mitch Collins

Inspired Forum Member
REIN Member
Hi All;

Just a quick update - Dawson Creek now has great Property Management in Cascade Realty.

They are managing about 10 units for me in Dawson Creek, as well as several properties that I have helped REIN members purchase.
Very personable service, and a definate thumbs up.

In Fort St. John, Li-Car has turned a new leaf and is now advertising online. I will be offering PM services as well within the next 12 months.

Call me for additional details!

Warm Regards;

Top Bottom