Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Trump Seminar?

JoeRagona

Registered
Got an invitation to go to the wealth building Trump seminar here in T.O. which focuses on Real Estate as well. I`m wondering if anyone has gone to or has opinions regarding his techniques.

Someone told me it was a different approach to buying and selling real estate without the need to focus on renters.

davidcourt

Registered
i`d be interested in hearing about it too.
I`m about an hour and a half away from toronto.
would like to attend if time permits.

Dan_Eisenhauer

Registered
I have not taken his seminars, but did take the Trump University real estate course. I found it worth while, but probably not worth the money I paid for it.

Be aware that Donald Trump does not show up in person, but by video. I am not sure if it live video or tape.

JoeRagona

Registered
I aware of the `sign up today` cash grab at the end of seminars, however I was informed that the Real Estate ideas were impressive with different ideas that could make `transaction` cash as opposed to buy, rent, and hold.

I`m not so sure I want to deal with many renters as there are so many parameters and emergency accounts needed to be setup for those broken appliance days for instance.

That is also why one of my other posts was in relation to building additions and/or major renovation of high end homes here in Oakville with my contractor team. It may be a larger stake. but I`d be happy making a living turning over a few homes a year to increase my wealth rather than starting with a small negative cash flow to build 40 or 50 rental homes.

Just wanted to listen more experienced members in this field.

As well, I have the quickstart program I am studying but it seems a lot of it focuses on how Alberta is the REAL place to invest.

TomNamestnik

Registered
I went last year, definitely not worth the cash, more importantly your time. Like Garth said, most presenters are there to sell you something, very expensive systems, high pressure tactics, give you a little taste of it and give you a deal on the rest of the package (very expensive), "but you must buy it now if you are serious". You can walk away spending $50K in systems in just one day.
Stick to REIN, it works, I have listened to a lot of stuff, Quickstart kicks @$$.
Donald Trump did speak in person, for over two hours, but he is not teaching any techniques, just speaking, mostly about Rosie O Donnel
style_emoticons
. I will quote Donald`s first line: "so this is what 20000 suckers look like"
I will not be attending again, but make your own decision.

Tom

JoeRagona

Registered
QUOTE (TomNamestnik @ Jan 31 2008, 02:34 PM) I went last year, definitely not worth the cash, more importantly your time. Like Garth said, most presenters are there to sell you something, very expensive systems, high pressure tactics, give you a little taste of it and give you a deal on the rest of the package (very expensive), "but you must buy it now if you are serious". You can walk away spending $50K in systems in just one day.
Stick to REIN, it works, I have listened to a lot of stuff, Quickstart kicks @$$.
Donald Trump did speak in person, for over two hours, but he is not teaching any techniques, just speaking, mostly about Rosie O Donnel
style_emoticons
. I will quote Donald`s first line: "so this is what 20000 suckers look like"
I will not be attending again, but make your own decision.

Tom

Thanks for the heads up Tom,

How much was the grab if you recall?

I know Donald will not be there for this one, but I was intrigued to hear of a technique called `assignment` from a person that took the course -I`m not sure of it`s details, but those are the types of `secrets` if you will that are supposed to be taught - most likely in an extended course.

stocdavw

REIN Member
Assignment is a technique where a "Birdog" (you) finds the deal and ties up the property with an offer to purchase. Your name on the contract id followed by the words "and/or assigns". You then take the offer and peddle it to investors who actually have money. They take over the contract, and pay you a finder`s fee for it. If you have been paying attention to what REIN is teaching you, you already have what it takes to be a `bird dog`. All you are doing is bringing good properties and good investors together.

TomNamestnik

Registered
No problem. I don`t recall the details, but mostly in the ball park of 3K.
I know that Robert Allen systems teach "assignments". I can`t comment on it, as I did not dive into the details. Also, keep in mind that a lot of the systems are very much geared to the US. Before going, I would check who the speakers are and do a little research on what they teach. I doubt that Donald will be revealing any secrets, but you never know.

ronda

Registered
I went to one of his seminar once. It was four hours of nothing. All the presenter talked about was how great Trump was. There was nothing about real estate, and then at the end they wanted $3000 for a course. Hope that helps.

MikeMcCrae

Registered
The seminars there are "reatser seminars" they give you just enough information to make you want to buy their real seminar. Cost for the real seminar is usually $999.00 and the real seminar is a stepping stone to the next level of seminar. Training and networking from REIN is much more advantagious and from a Canadian perspective. But who knows if you get one idea or contact that works for you it could be worth while. Donald Trump is the bait to get you in the door but realize it is a promotion to sell you stuff.

navaz

Registered
all these seminars are great -watch the sales spill at the end for more seminars - i have seen clients spend their downpayments on the seminars

bardell

Registered
My wife, realtor, and I attended the Trump weekend workshop in Calgary in early December, 2007. The cost for my wife and I was just over $2000. There was a lot of good material, though still pretty high-level. We found the focus to be more on commercial/apartments rather than residential. So we learned some new things and appreciated a fresh view-point. The instructor knew his stuff and clearly was an experienced investor. Since we have been investors for a few years, the material added to our knowledge. But I think it was over the heads of the people just starting out. And yes, there was the pitch for the next course, and the software, etc. All at thousands of dollars, which of course we did not buy. Still, we received a pretty good stack of reference materials and a 6-month support phone service.

Overall, though the Trump workshop was a decent course, the REIN Quickstart is better suited to the novice, and the ongoing monthly workshops, research, networking, web materials, etc. etc. provide far more ongoing value and support.

JoeRagona

Registered
Thanks to all that responded, especially those who attended the seminar.

I feel the same way meaning that I will probably go and get dragged to the `real seminar` depending on the price of it only to gain another perspective.

In my mind, knowledge is power and not one course including Quickstart and Trump can teach it all.

Thanks again.

See you all back here soon.

MikeMcCrae

Registered
The great thing about REIN and Quickstart is it is not just a course. It is an ongoing training and support system that provides constant support and feedback along the journey. At every level of investment expertise new questions and problems are identified. It is very nice to have access to other like minded individuals and the REIN management people are always there to help too.

Ryan

Registered
My wife and I attended a Russ Whitney ( American Late night Informercial guy ) and found it to be a real scam with questionable ethics and a strong focus on getting us to buy thier $40,000 training seminars. The weekend was a high pressure sales pitch for which we paid 2200. =).

A year later we joined REIN and are very happy here.. Prior to joining REIN however my wife had already booked her weekend seminar with Rich Dad Education. She was shocked and amazed to see that it was the exact same presenter team (not same as REIN, same as Whitney) ! Marc M. was the fellas name. Granted he knew alot about real estate and investing and tactics but I felt his ethics and morals were very questionable.

So, go to the seminar and if the presenter says "do we agree" alot - take with a grain of salt the information and prepare to give a firm no. I think that an education company pays premiums to these industry icons to present thier own material with the Icon`s letter head on top and a twist on that particuar icons methods.

Focus on what we learn in Quick Start. Study the fundamentals ! Do your own homework !

Bear in mind, these are only my personal oppinions.

davidcourt

Registered
assignments ARE legal in canada,
haven`t done one,but will be involved hopefully soon.
quick money grab,how it`s taxed no idea.
may want to look into that
Dave

DonCampbell

Investor, Analyst, Author, Philanthropist
Staff member
REIN Member
Assignments are taxed as Business or personal income, not Capital Gains. Just remember, many people don`t understand that even after the contract is assigned to another party, YOU are still potentially liable for that contract. In other words, if the party you assigned it to walks away from the deal, it very well will fall back on your lap forcing you to close or pay major penalties. Even if your assignement contract seems iron-clad, it still may not hold up.

Get a GREAT contract Lawyer on your side BEFORE you do any assignments. Identify and mitigate the risks.

QUOTE (davidcourt @ Feb 1 2008, 12:14 PM) assignments ARE legal in canada,
haven`t done one,but will be involved hopefully soon.
quick money grab,how it`s taxed no idea.
may want to look into that
Dave

JoeRagona

Registered
QUOTE (DonCampbell @ Feb 1 2008, 06:32 PM) Assignments are taxed as Business or personal income, not Capital Gains. Just remember, many people don`t understand that even after the contract is assigned to another party, YOU are still potentially liable for that contract. In other words, if the party you assigned it to walks away from the deal, it very well will fall back on your lap forcing you to close or pay major penalties. Even if your assignement contract seems iron-clad, it still may not hold up.

Get a GREAT contract Lawyer on your side BEFORE you do any assignments. Identify and mitigate the risks.

Thanks for the insight Don, it`s still better to be taxed as a corporation at a lower tax rate than pay the capital gain isn`t it?

trudijohnston

Registered
HI,

I went to the real estate expo last year and no matter how positive a slant I tried to put on it I couldn`t. All of the seminars I attended just wanted to sell you something therefore the information they gave you was very limited. If you need a choice attend QuickStart!!!! You will be educated and surrounded by great people!!!!

Thanks- Trudi Johnston

Top Bottom