Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

We need more protection against drug users

REisME

New Forum Member
Registered
Currently the AB Residential Tenant Act says a landlord has to give 24 hours notice to inspect a suite. However, if a landlord detects drugs being smoked in a suite, 24 hours is plenty of time to clean up the drugs and for the culprit to air out the suite or leave. Where does that leave the landlord? In my case, it leaves me with a gutted house caused by a 'guest' smoking meth and some very traumatized tenants and a lot of hassles. I don't think I'm alone. I try to screen my tenants carefully but still have had several drug using tenants over the years.

A fire could just as easily have been started from pot, which is going to be decriminalized in Canada. It's already hard enough to keep people from smoking cigarettes inside, how are we ever going to keep them from smoking pot, meth, heroin or anything else inside if we are forced to wait 24 hours to inspect a suite? I strongly believe this problem is just going to increase and it affects every demographic.

Something needs to change - we are the ones who are liable not just for the houses but for the lives of all of our tenants. We need the ability to better monitor our suites either electronically with drug detecting hardware or inspections that are much quicker than 24 hours in the case of suspicious smells/activity or... something? Calling the cops and standing around for 8 hours while they attend to high priority calls is not an effective option.

Rob@huzzora

New Forum Member
Registered
Hello!

"Something needs to change", Indeed!

We are in the process of bringing that change. The rental world needs accountability on both sides so drugs don't come into a unit and if they do the event can be traced to those renters so future landlords can see that history and adjust accordingly. Either not renting to that person or raising the rent and hopefully forcing those bad habits out of people!

We are hoping to bring much needed transparency to the rental market and smoothing out the whole process.

Cheers.

huzzora

Top Bottom