Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

What to look for in an Accountant

SamEfford

Registered
I am starting my search for an accountant and was hoping to get some insight from other investors as what are the good characteristics of a good Real Estate Investment Accountant.

I have never used an accountant before, so I am pretty green on the subject.

What did you base your decision on when your added an accountant to your team?

jeremyfleming

Registered
Hi Sam,
I chose to use Navaz Murji in Vancouver (although I am in Grande Prairie) for a number of reasons -
  • he was good enough to come to REIN as a guest speaker and explain to us how to organize our paperwork in an effective system, to minimze hassle and cost at the accounting office (he is knowledgable in OUR field)
  • Navaz is an investor in Alberta himself (who else is going to understand a real estate investor and their write-offs better than another real estate investor)The clientele of his accounting business at the time was 40% real estate investors (I imagine it is more now), so I was positive that all of his staff would understand our business thoroughly
I have used his office to prepare 4 years tax for me now with no regrets or problems - if I was looking for another accountant today, I would look for someone with similar business interests - both an accountant and experienced real estate investor.

Just my 2 cents,
Jeremy

SamEfford

Registered
Thank Jeremy. I filled out the questionaire on their website and will see what they have to offer.

I also subscribed to your newletter. Cant wait to read it.

Sam

George

Registered
Good evening,

If I could add to Jeremy`s list - and I do agree 100% with Jeremy`s points and assessment of his accountant, but will slightly paraphrase:

- community oriented - willing to give
- invests in real estate so that they have a practical knowledge you can relate to plus, without question, a desire to ensure that they are on top of the real estate tax/accounting rules
- practical experience from their clients including a healthy mix of real estate investors in their client portfolio
- an ability to relate to YOU - if you`re going to be working with this person over a long period of time in planning your financial future, you should really get to like the person. While you don`t need to be best friends, this trustworthy person should be someone you can get along with. If you don`t really like the accountant, you may not be sharing all of the relevant information regarding your future goals that they can help you achieve, provided that they know where you`d like to head.
- a team available to help answer questions. It can be difficult to work with a one person show when the individual is on vacation, sick, family issues etc. I think that it is fair that there may be one or two people who are the main drivers at the office, but its also nice to know there are some support people.
- reasonable period of time in getting back to your questions and getting your work back to you (be cautious if the time is consistently very fast or very slow - could be signs that they have few things to do or alternatively too much)
- willing to have a free initial consultation with you (a pet peeve of mine but I appreciate there are those that disagree with this)
- during the initial consultation, they show a genuine interest in YOU

For what its worth, in my opinon the accountant should be evaluating you as well. Although there are very few people we turn away, there needs to be a proper fit.
- Effectively, we will have to occasionally steer away potential clients where we believe that there are/could be illegal acts (the overwhelming majority of accountants want to preserve the integrity of their practices, clients and themselves). There`s a difference between agressive and illegal.
- We want to ensure that there is a personal rapport. We also want to work with people over the years that we enjoy spending time with - life is too short to be miserable.
- Whether we believe that the person will listen to advice. We certainly don`t expect them to agree to everything we say, but do expect them to be open to concepts and interested in their own futures sufficiently to consider our thoughts, amongst other advisors.

Warm regards...

George

Top Bottom