Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

What's happens with unpaid utilities?

David9205

ergoCentric Dave
Registered
I'm in the process of evicted a tenant who lives in one of my condos. The utilities (Hydro and Cable) are in his name as he was responsible to pay those bills. Once he leaves if the bill goes unpaid (i.e. BC Hydro) will the new tenant have any issues when they call in to set up their account? Will BC Hydro request payment for the outstanding amount from my new tenant?

This is in Langley, BC

Thank you in advance for your responses

Cory Sperle

REIN Member
I had this happen to me once in Alberta, and the answer was no, as the original tenant had to provide a deposit and/or credit checks in their name so the utility company must go after them and not you or a prospective new tenant.

Marnie

Frequent Forum Member
Staff member
REIN Member
I agree with Cory, my experience has been the same but since you are inquiring about BC I would just double check with BC Hydro to be sure if you're concerned. I couldn't find anything specific about this on their website but to me, logically, your evicted tenant's account should neither impact you nor your new tenant. If you find out anything different it would be great if you could post here!

Cory Sperle

REIN Member
I would take a look at the fine print of any contract you may have signed if you ever had the utilities in your name. I had one building in Saskatchewan that they tried to make me sign an agreement that I would pay utilities if the tenant failed to do so, and naturally I declined.

REInvestors888

Inspired Forum Member
Registered
The utilities (Hydro and Cable) are in his name as he was responsible to pay those bills.

IMO: There is no need to worry since they are in your old tenant's name. The new tenant should apply under his name and not to worry for any unpaid bills as they are not his.

David9205

ergoCentric Dave
Registered
I agree with Cory, my experience has been the same but since you are inquiring about BC I would just double check with BC Hydro to be sure if you're concerned. I couldn't find anything specific about this on their website but to me, logically, your evicted tenant's account should neither impact you nor your new tenant. If you find out anything different it would be great if you could post here!
Because the tenant is the "account holder" the amount owing stays with them. As the owner I'm not responsible and neither are the new tenants. BC Hydro will send the bill to collections to collect from the previous tenant.

Al Verwey

Registered
In Ontario, in some towns, if the water bill does not get paid, the utility will collect it from the property owner through the property tax billing.

Marnie

Frequent Forum Member
Staff member
REIN Member
Because the tenant is the "account holder" the amount owing stays with them. As the owner I'm not responsible and neither are the new tenants. BC Hydro will send the bill to collections to collect from the previous tenant.
Thanks very much for confirming David!

Kjeck

New Forum Member
Registered
In many cases the unpaid bills it’s the responsibility of tenants. But, actually, it depends on the utility company. In some areas ultimate responsibility lies with the owner, and if the tenant doesn't pay the bill, the owner is responsible for those bills.

Utility company will turn the utility into the new tenant's name, but only on the on request from the new tenant.

Gary3641

New Forum Member
REIN Member
Out of all my turnovers once BC hydro wanted me to pay (the tenant left and said they moved out to bc hydro a month before they did) hydro wanted me to pay it but when I showed them the lease and explained the 'real date' they moved it was resolved , took me speaking to a manager on the line though not just the first person.
Any other time BC Hydro just swapped over and started the day the new tenant took over or the day the other moved it back to my name. All mine are in BC

kfort

Registered
Take what util Provider tells you w a grain of salt... I've had them call me and yell at me for not providing a forwarding address for a tenant (I didn't have one) because now they'd "never be able to recover that $"... they shut up quick when I asked for current address info on a previous tenant who'd stiffed me... FOIP laws apply.

Top Bottom