Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

When Can I Do a Rent-Increase in Alberta

Millions

Registered
So, I signed up my tenants up to a one-year lease last May. From what I understand, I could have raised it then, but because we were travelling, I didn't want to deal with a potential tenant-loss just for a $100/mo increase. However, now I think the lease is automatically month-to-month right? Until a new lease is signed?

So, do I now need to give 3-months notice for a rent increase?

What if I wanted to move in, also a 3-month notice?

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
Rental increases can be done 365 days or more after the last increase (or the start of tenancy).

In a fixed term lease, rental increases must be done at the start of a new lease. In a periodic tenancy, 3 full months' written notice must be given.

So your options are to give notice of a rent increase starting October 1st or to sign another fixed term lease with the new rent. You could offer the new fixed lease at a $100 increase or the October 1st increase of $175. That should encourage the tenant to sign another fixed lease (if that's what you want).

Millions

Registered
Thanks. That's what I thought. Because I didn't raise it right at lease end, now it's a 3-month wait.

What about if we want to move in? Same thing? 90 days?

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
I only work with fixed term leases, so I'd be inclined to say: "Since we didn't renew your lease, you are now officially month to month, so here is your 3-month notice of a rental increase for $200 per month. But if you'd like to sign a new fixed-term lease now, I'd be happy to reduce that increase to only $100 per month. Which would you prefer?"

Top Bottom