Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BC sunshine coast: Why is all development confined to the coast?

sgb

New Forum Member
Registered
Every other place I've lived, as you wandered off the beaten track, you could find larger chunks of land with fewer services for less money. This doesn't seem to hold for the SC. Gibson's is 3 km across. Sechelt 2 km. But *everything* else is within 1 km of the sea. There are roads running inland, used mostly for logging and mining. There are regions marked as ALR (Agriculture land reserve) in the middle of nowhere, completely undeveloped.

It does hold in a sense: It gets some cheaper/larger as you go up the coast toward Powell River.

But Edmonton, a house on a city lot is about half mil. That same money 25 minutes from the edge of the city will buy the same house on 10 acres. At 1 hour away it will buy a similar house on a quarter section of land.

Yes: the land is steep and rocky. That makes roads pricey. But the roads are in place.

Yes, some of it is crown land. But there are mechanisms in place to buy crown land -- usually with lots of hoops to jump through.

What's the reason behind this? Anyone have a clue?

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
That’s how the world works. Development happens from a center outward. That’s why Manhattan Island is far more expensive than Brooklyn which is more expensive than Long Island.

It also costs more to service a far away property with roads, water, sewer, fire hydrants, sidewalks, street lights, gas or hydro. Sometimes A LOT more. That’s why land is far cheaper the further out you go.

People are also social animals. They follow leaders like sheep sometimes, they like community and social interaction. That is tough in a forest with one km square lots.

But overall I think the Sunshine Coast is an overlooked part of BC very close to Vancouver. I own two properties there and looking for more.

Sent from my iPad using myREINspace

Top Bottom