Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Edmonton. Legalizing a secondary Suite, process

dpeacock

Registered
Hello Rein members.
Can someone give me an idea as to the process to legalize a secondary suite in Edmonton? The home is about 6 years old, has a suite in it which was sold by the Realtor as being legal, but is not. The community is one which does allow secondary suites. I'm in Calgary and have left several messages with the City of Edmonton secondary suite person, but am not getting any return calls.
thank you!
Dan

Matt Crowley

REIN Member
The city updated their website a couple weeks ago and is a lot more difficult to navigate now. It is still the best resource for secondary suite information:

https://www.edmonton.ca/city_government/urban_planning_and_design/secondary-suites.aspx
FAQ: https://www.edmonton.ca/city_government/urban_planning_and_design/secondary-suites-faq.aspx

I wonder if the Realtor is the same goofball who advertised a listing here on REIN a couple weeks ago that was a legal triplex on a RF1 lot... um no. No such thing. Maximum 2 units on a lot FYI. All communities in Edmonton allow secondary suites.

The city is very difficult / impossible to get good answers from over the phone or by email. So basically use what you see online. You can get good answers in person however.

The overall process is straightforward: apply for development permit and building permit. Then apply for any additional permits: electrical and mechanical once DP is achieved. DP can take 3 weeks t0 3 months. I've waited 4-5 months before. The basic requirements are separate furnace, drywalled and taped ceilings, and egress sized windows for bedrooms. The basement apartment needs to be fully contained with its own kitchen and full bathroom. There are some additional nuances but those are the basics.

ChrisDavies

Registered
There's a swath of the east side that doesn't allow secondary suites, typically east of 50th street. But Matt is right on about the permitting process and timelines.

Dustin Racine

www.bwpconstructionedmonton.com
Registered
You also need 1 parking stall for every 2 bdrms. Eg: 3 bdrms up, 2 down = 3 stalls (2 for upstairs, 1 for downstairs). If u have 3 up and 3 down u need 4 stalls. (2 for upstairs, 2 for downstairs).

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
If you email me at [email protected], I'll give you the name of my contractor. He's done a couple of legalizations for me and is very familiar with the process. He did the floor plans, attended the inspections, etc.. Nicely hands-off for me and the extra service was reasonably priced (IMO).

Remi Noel

Contractor, Renovator, Developer & Investor
Registered
Hi Dan,
I'm days away from completing my 3rd legal suited house in Edmonton and can definitely walk you through the process. You can contact me at [email protected] or 780-257-4301. And yes the city runs its own schedule and super is slow to respond.

TAMI

Registered
Hi guys , my own little issue with secondary suite made me to call Remi and Daphne to seek information about the process and exception i should have before starting it . After talking to Remi , i had a clear idea what is a head of me , and I defiantly feel less anxious about it . If someone needs help with secondary suite in Edmonton ,I recommend to call Remi

Giddyup

Registered
Is anybody familiar with page 4 of the new Secondary Suite application form, the "Energy Efficiency Application Checklist for Part 9 building construction and alteration" ?? I stumbled across the new form today and it looks like things have gotten much more complicated. Any thoughts or feedback on this?

Top Bottom