Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Garage with suites above

Dan Golby

REIN Member
Has anyone on here has any experience with garage suites?
I'm finding some good deals on older homes with bigger lots and alley access. In some cases they don't have existing garages. Would it make sense to build one that has a suite above it? What kind of zoning is required for this?
I am in Alberta, any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks

Matt Crowley

REIN Member
In Edmonton it is RF1 but is somewhat at the discretion of the development officer. It is a longer-term development strategy as you really need to make sure you get your development and building permits before you begin any construction on this one.

You would have to bring the idea of this kind of development to the bank. I haven't heard if they would be willing to offer construction loans on this type of development. You are probably looking at the $60k -80k cash range. So obviously, you would need a take out loan for the yield to make any sense at all.

Dan Golby

REIN Member
My plan is to buy the house myself and bring in a JV to pay for the garage build. I would hate to buy the place and find out that they won't allow me to build it but I'm sure the permits and re-zoning would take so long that I would need to buy it and wait patiently....
Going to make some calls and see what I find out.
I think I'm on to something great here, but time will tell.

SVS

Realtor/Investor K-W-C and surrounding area
REIN Member
My plan is to buy the house myself and bring in a JV to pay for the garage build. I would hate to buy the place and find out that they won't allow me to build it but I'm sure the permits and re-zoning would take so long that I would need to buy it and wait patiently....
Going to make some calls and see what I find out.
I think I'm on to something great here, but time will tell.

If you happen to find some great properties and just arent quite sure, Have your realtor but in a clause regarding satisfying zoning conditions to give you some time to do your due dilligence. I'am sure that it will come down to more than zoning, I'am in Ontario but i imagine in your province they will have rules regarding maximum usage of the lot as well as setbacks.

Dan Golby

REIN Member
If you happen to find some great properties and just arent quite sure, Have your realtor but in a clause regarding satisfying zoning conditions to give you some time to do your due dilligence. I'am sure that it will come down to more than zoning, I'am in Ontario but i imagine in your province they will have rules regarding maximum usage of the lot as well as setbacks.

GREAT point about the setbacks.....I know they are fairly high which will make it eat up lot space in a hurry. Forgot about that! Thanks

Dan Golby

REIN Member
I have all my answers now.....just have to find the right house at the right price. Thanks everybody!

sbh

REIN Member
Calgary has different lot size and square foot requirements for a garden suite vs a basement suite. I would make sure its permitted use and does not require any relaxations if you are going to buy with absolute intent of building a garage suite.

Keep an eye out for utility locations on the lot. If your sewer and water lines go to the back of the house then it will be cheaper than having to dig up to the house and tie in. There might also be complications if gas and other utility lines are located in the area you want to put in the garage if it is a new build.

Dan Golby

REIN Member
Great point on utilities! Thanks very much. Could get very expensive!

Top Bottom