Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Getting rid of bum tenants

DianneDachyshyn

Registered
We have a bad tenant whose rent cheque bounced. Our PM gave him 14 days notice. Then we found out that he had two dogs in the house (against the lease), that the previous PM only collected 2/3 of the security deposit, etc. He said that he will move out at the end of the month and that he will give us the back rent because he doesn`t want to go to court, but each time our PM sees him, the tenant complains about everything and threatens legal action, etc.

My PM is inexperienced and asked me if he could change the locks and put the tenant`s belongings outside, etc. He said that we could be fined for doing that. Someone told him that:

a. We can`t do anything like that for at least two months
b. We can`t cash the SD until the lease is up (another 4 months--the tenant is breaking the lease by leaving early, not paying rent, not paying the full SD, having dogs)

We have a person who wants the place for Sept. 1, and now we`re worried that this guy may not leave.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Today the PM showed up to show the place and the tenant was angry that he was in there. Sounds as if the tenant didn`t show up to let him in, so he went in on his own.

We live far from the action, and we are caught between a miserable tenant and an inexperienced PM. We could use some advice.

Thanks.

Nir

REIN Member
Dianne,

Due to the fact that your PM is inexperienced, it sounds like you have only 2 options - either to resolve the issue with the tenant yourself or get help from a new experienced and successful PM(!)

Provide the location of the property and perhaps someone here will be able to recommend a good PM for you.

Good luck,
Neil

realfortin

Registered
QUOTE (investmart @ Aug 27 2008, 05:12 PM) Dianne,

Due to the fact that your PM is inexperienced, it sounds like you have only 2 options - either to resolve the issue with the tenant yourself or get help from a new experienced and successful PM(!)

Provide the location of the property and perhaps someone here will be able to recommend a good PM for you.

Good luck,
Neil

No matter what the outcome of this situation, you need to get an experienced PM, specially since you are not in the area. The PM is supposed to be answering YOUR questions not asking the basic ones. The PM is a key member of your team, you don`t want that weak link to break the chain. Where is the property?

Real

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (DianneDachyshyn @ Aug 27 2008, 03:14 PM) We have a bad tenant whose rent cheque bounced. ... we are caught between a miserable tenant and an inexperienced PM. We could use some advice.

Thanks.
Advice: hire a new property manager who knows the basic law AND can implement the basic law !

one of the steps before you waive conditions on a property is: who will manage it impeccably ?

What province ? rules and length of time to evict differ from province to province !

DianneDachyshyn

Registered
This is Grande Prairie and our PM is new at this, but he is a far sight better than the "experienced" companies that we have dealt with. At least he is honest and cares about our property. He is learning, but he`s putting his best effort into it. We are trying to help him through this difficult situation with a tenant that he inherited from the previous PM company.

brentdavies

Registered
No you cannot just move his stuff out and change the locks.

Follow the eviction proceding to the letter.

Hire a bailiff service such as serv it or rockingham, if there are such fellows in Grande Prairie,

There has been a few good posts on the dispute resolution service.

The bad part is this takes some time, the good part is I hear the rental market is heating up in Grande Prairie.

DENNISRAMSARRAN

Blue Sky RV Resorts
Registered
Diane

Try this.... offer the tennant $700 to leave the premises by the end of the month. Do not pay them in advance but write up a legal contract that both the tennant and yourself sign, in which moneys will be disperesed after they leave. Try offering them $100 extra if they leave the place in excellent condition. The total cost is better than losing two more months of rent. I hope this helps

Regards
Dennis Ramsarran ;)
Member in Ontario

DianneDachyshyn

Registered
I just heard from our PM that the tenants moved out!! Thankfully, they didn`t decide to hang around and force us to take legal action. I haven`t heard the details yet, but I`m very happy to clean the place up and find a quality tenant.

Thanks to everyone for your help. I sent the comments and ideas from this and previous threads to our PM. They were very helpful.

GarthChapman

Registered
QUOTE (DianneDachyshyn @ Sep 1 2008, 02:56 PM) I just heard from our PM that the tenants moved out!! Thankfully, they didn`t decide to hang around and force us to take legal action. I haven`t heard the details yet, but I`m very happy to clean the place up and find a quality tenant.

Thanks to everyone for your help. I sent the comments and ideas from this and previous threads to our PM. They were very helpful.

Make sure your PM changes the locks - right away.

SamEfford

Registered
Congratulatoins Dianne. I am on my third eviction and it does get easier. The tenant screening is what keeps getting harder!

Top Bottom