Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Hiring good people in a tough market.....any tips?

Dan Golby

REIN Member
I realize this isn't real estate related but I'm pretty sure some people on here can help me out. Especially the people running a business in Alberta!

I recently started managing an Electrical/Instrumentation company in Cold Lake Alberta. One of my first challenges will be to hire some people that are willing to live in the area so that we can charge them out at a competitive rate. Even with stable, long term opportunities it is tough to get people to leave their current jobs and join our team.

Just wondering what strategies people have found work best to recruit the best people. Looking for a way to stand out from the crowd.

Any tips are greatly appreciated!

Alvaro Sanchez

Ottawa-Gatineau Investor
Registered
Clue: Top people on their trade charge top rates. Also top guns always have followers, that is, people who are willing to compromise location/rates to be able to work/learn from them.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Paying and treating people well is critical. Paying "well" is a function of skills, labour availability, competition, .. And treating them well may include vacations, flexible hours, praise, an office with a view, a bonus program centered around their belief, recognition etc. ...

kfort

Registered
Don't forget to create an entire lifestyle for them to buy into. Money is important, and so are several other factors!

Realy good book you might find useful is Daniel Pink "Drive".

Dan Golby

REIN Member
Thanks for all the great tips everybody. I'm awaiting instructions from the main customer on what they need and execute a plan from there.

Cory Sperle

REIN Member
As a former instrumentation tech in the oil industry the single biggest complaint is overworking employees with overtime to the point they get fed up and quit. Most of us would prefer a week on/off rotation vs. moving to a remote location and being on call 24/7 and being married to the job. I understand that there are cost savings to having less employees working more, which seems to be the Alberta way but people are simply tired of it. If you want people to live in the area the most attractive shift would be Monday to Thursday, 10 hour days. Money is becoming less and less of an incentive for the more experienced tradespeople and they will chose quality of life over working hours ever time.

Dan Golby

REIN Member
Couldn't agree more! The shift was Monday to Thursday and still couldn't find people......long story short I'm not recruiting anymore, other stuff happened instead:(

Thanks for all the tips

Top Bottom