Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How`s Dawson Creek rental market?

LillianHo

Registered
Somebody approach me and want me to invest in new housing project in Dawson Creek. They are building right now. I am more worried about the vacancy rate than cash flow. Anybody knows the market there?

sstokes

REIN Member
Vacancies are higher than in FSJ due to lower demand and more new product on the market. I've had the equivalent of one unit vacant for 9 months of 2013.....1 yr old units, appropriately priced - in fact, had to reduce prices by approx 10% to fill them. One is still vacant.

Vacancy rate does impact your cashflow, so you need to worry about both of them together. They can't be considered separately. I would proceed cautiously. With all due respect to those selling new housing up there, I think the market rents being projected are optimistic.

Susan

curiousLo

REIN Member
I tend to stay away from newly built properties for rental. They are obviously more expensive than existing ones and have to add GST on the price. You might be able to charge a premium for it being new, but after a year or two not very likely... depends more on tenant behaviour and your maintenance.

In Dawson Creek a lot of new builds are coming into the market, and I feel there will be some pressure on rent. Even though summer months are little slower and hard to fill a vacancy, I believe in-migration is strong and we will see overall increase in rents and property value in the long term.

I actually focus on Dawson Creek and Fort St. John for investing.

Just my opinion...

travis83

REIN Member
I have been interested in some of the new housing projects in Dawson Creek as well. I feel that there is an advantage to new construction if you are able to build your own residential units. Land prices seem to be fairly reasonable when compared to other surrounding areas i.e. FSJ and Grande Prairie. However; I don't know that there is value in paying market price for a new home directly from a builder/developer, in this case you are probably better to invest in existing real estate.

Top Bottom