Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Is an 8% cap rate achievable?

ryanlake

Registered
I have an investor looking for a multi unit building with a purchase price of 500k or more with a minimum cap rate of 8%

Any potential properties worth looking at around Edmonton?

ChrisDavies

Registered
There's too many places to hide, pad or lie when coming up with cap rates. Can we make it do 8% on paper, sure. In reality, no. Max in reality right now is probably 6.5-7% for Edmonton and with a purchase price of only $500k you're not really buying multi-family, just a suited house. I have heard of deals on industrial or some commercial properties in Alberta which do higher rates or if you go to smaller centers you'll get up to the 8-9% cap range. That said there's some decent quality 6-8 unit properties around including some of my listings which are in the $500-700k range.

Remember, cap rates are independent on things like tenant quality, deferred maintenance and headache factor.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
No. Only in small towns with poor economics, far from major centers. Not with interest rates sub 3%. Educate him on the real world.

ryanlake

Registered
Why smaller communities? Is it because of a lower purchase price?

GordIng

Registered
Yes exceeding an 8% cap rate is achievable. I just finished closing on a deal in southern Saskatchewan and yes it is in a smaller community however the demand for housing is strong and rental rates reflect that.If you have the time research Saskatchewan.

Top Bottom