Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Is it a perfect world? Disconnects with RTO tenants pending...

neill

Airdrie, AB
REIN Member
Hi all, just wanted to share our recent experience: we have been working with RTO for almost three years, and counted ourselves fortunate enough to have never had a disconnect - until now...

We have had three clients that for various and sundry reasons are all electing in a two week period to sever their relationship with us.

One involved a job transfer - they had given us $50k up front and had a pre-determined penalty of $10k, so they will get $40k back and we will find another buyer. House is purchased via AFS so we have time to still make the exit.

The second two involved default - non-payment of option credits as agreed on time. In both cases we have negotiated exit dates and set a small return $ carrot to allow the folks a reason to keep the house in good shape for showings and have it clean at move-out. These houses were foreclosure renos with JV partners, so again no major time constraints.

Our preference (and we tell folks that) is to definitely find the win-win and end up with another testimonial on our website. We have had several cash-outs and the joy in these folks eyes is beyond obvious.

Two points from all of this to share:

1) RTO is not a bed of roses

2) When a disconnect is imminent and inevitable, it is better to talk through the situation with folks. The "more bees with honey" theory definitely applies. All folks were disappointed that they could not carry on, understood our side of things and most importantly were relieved that we came to them with a solution that, yes cost them money, but in the end will allow them to leave with dignity.

ChrisDavies

Registered
Thanks for sharing the stories Neill, you and Linda did a great job of making lemonade out of lemons. I'd add a third point - don't be greedy. I've heard of people who start grabbing every penny when things fall apart - sounds like you're being fair to generous to make sure it's win-win and everyone goes home (or somewhere else) happy.

Aaron Moore

REIN Member
Just wanted to say a big thank you for sharing these great "in the trenches" examples. It helps me be prepared when I have future deals that don't go as planned. Allowing tenants to leave with dignity is a valuable point... and I'm sure that helps leave our properties in better condition.

GaryW

Registered
Hi Neill and Linda:

Now that's what I call Real Estate Solutions! Great insight and I will definitely integrate this into my system as well. I haven't had it happen to me, but it sure is good to know that you guys are doing it a little different than our southern friends taught us!

Gary

markl

Registered
Very good examples thank you for sharing. This is why more and more people will choose you and your company to work with for RTO

Regards,

Top Bottom