Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Need a place to vent about my cheap tenants

Denialz

New Forum Member
Registered
My husband and I took over a duplex last year, with one unit occupied by a couple who had lived there for 16 years. Their rent is extremely low, at least $1,000/month below the market. The previous owner gave us some credit to keep the tenants for another year.

Their lease will end on May 31. On Feb 12, all of a sudden, they told me they would move out in March. To be honest, I was relieved that I wouldn't have to go through the eviction route. And since they didn't make any trouble since we took over the property, my husband and I decided not to ask them to pay for any penalty for terminating the lease two months earlier than scheduled (even though the lease said so). We are also planning on returning 100% of their security deposit.

However...

They started to inform me they would take the washer and dryer away because they bought them...and every time I got in touch with them, they would inform me of items they would take away because they bought them. Basically, they are taking away everything they can remove from the wall, including the gas range, fridge, vanity mirror, chandelier, washer, dryer, etc......

I know I could easily stop this, because they were there during the closing walkthrough and they didn't mention any of these items. I decided to let it go. Most of these items are very old and I would have replaced them anyway.

I just want to hold a glass of wine and laugh about this. Since I can't, I am sharing the story here. I am glad they will be gone in a few days and I will be making the extra $1,000 every month.

Tina Myrvang

Client Care Lead
Staff member
REIN Member
My husband and I took over a duplex last year, with one unit occupied by a couple who had lived there for 16 years. Their rent is extremely low, at least $1,000/month below the market. The previous owner gave us some credit to keep the tenants for another year.

Their lease will end on May 31. On Feb 12, all of a sudden, they told me they would move out in March. To be honest, I was relieved that I wouldn't have to go through the eviction route. And since they didn't make any trouble since we took over the property, my husband and I decided not to ask them to pay for any penalty for terminating the lease two months earlier than scheduled (even though the lease said so). We are also planning on returning 100% of their security deposit.

However...

They started to inform me they would take the washer and dryer away because they bought them...and every time I got in touch with them, they would inform me of items they would take away because they bought them. Basically, they are taking away everything they can remove from the wall, including the gas range, fridge, vanity mirror, chandelier, washer, dryer, etc......

I know I could easily stop this, because they were there during the closing walkthrough and they didn't mention any of these items. I decided to let it go. Most of these items are very old and I would have replaced them anyway.

I just want to hold a glass of wine and laugh about this. Since I can't, I am sharing the story here. I am glad they will be gone in a few days and I will be making the extra $1,000 every month.
Wow, sorry to hear this. Vent here anytime. We have a system we use called Cheque for Keys, offering them money to move voluntarily. Since they are moving, you won't need to throw more money at them. Move on that is the best thing to do and I love your energy. Don't let them win by bringing you down. DRINK UP MY FRIEND!!!!

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
What province is this?

Do you have the original lease ?

Keep the security deposit in lieu once they have left.

Your purchase contract should state what belongs to house (ie chattels such as W/D, dishwasher, etc) as it is usually listed.

So, once they have left I’d summarize the item that they took and put a value on it, say
- dish washer $150
- dryer $125
- washing machine $145
- carpet $45

Etc

Add some cleaning bills and repairs beyond normal wear & tear plus early lease termination fee and then present them with a $2800 bill. Minus $1000 security deposit. So here’s your final bill: $1800.

It’ll likely be the last time you hear from them.

Thomas Beyer, Asset Manager & Improver, Hard Asset Investor & DeFi Asset Hodler, Author, Father, Mentor, Hiker, Kayaker www.prestprop.com

Top Bottom