Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Pets in suited properties?? Opinions please!

Dan Golby

REIN Member
I have a suited house in Cold Lake AB that I was trying to sell, but it appears my timing was a bit late:(

So now we are going to get it rented again and hold it longer.

Just wondering if people have opinions on allowing pets in suited properties? The house is only 2 years old and in good shape. So far we haven't allowed pets mostly because it is not set up well for pets (no fence etc.) but we would like to try and get a more long term type of tenant that is easier to manage as opposed to tenants that just come to town for a temporary job and are short term. With the longer term tenants come pets....so far all applicants have a cat.

Please let me know if you have a suited property that allows pets, and how it has gone.

thanks in advance for any tips or stories

kfort

Registered
Use an addendum. Lease states no pets, evict the pet if it becomes a problem. Meet the cat, if it's as fat and lazy and lacking all charm as most charge a premium and go fwd. I have one suited house w two dogs and one w no pets. Property specific for sure.

Dan Golby

REIN Member
I will definitely use an addendum if I do it. I'm a bit worried that it will just be another reason for the up and down tenants to fight but I can't see it if it is 2 cats.

Thanks for the info!

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
We allow pets and charge a monthly premium. We also use the pet agreement as an addendum so that we may evict the pet while not affecting the lease.

We speak to the tenants in the other suite before allowing pets. If the other tenant has severe allergies or phobias, it wouldn't be a good idea to allow that type of pet. We ask a lot of questions about the pet, ask previous landlords about it, and always meet the pet.

Top Bottom