Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Possible Asbestos in Linoleum Flooring

dpeacock

Registered
I need to remove some linoleum flooring on a home in Calgary built in 1952. The Kitchen has a layer of linoleum over linoleum type tiles. So my guess is that there could be some asbestos somewhere, although I'm not certain.

Any suggestions as to how to proceed, assuming i don't want to lay another layer of lino or tile over the exisiting second layer of lino.

Thanks,

Dan

PeteStevens

Registered
Dan,

There are different ways to dispose of certain types of asbstos depending on what the suspected asbestos containing material is and the distance airbourne asbestos particles can travel. There are also correct disposal procedures to be followed. The removed product cannot be simply thrown in with regular construction waste/garbage.

The Ministry of Environment (MOE) have standard hazardous material removal and disposal requirements. These requirements are carried out using one of the three types below.

Removal and disposal procedure can be one of the following;

Type 1 - asbestos material can be removed via using regular construction removal procedures and the bagged for removal from the building and disposed of at registered landfill site.

Type 2 - The area with the asbestos containing material is required to be a sealed off enclosure at doors and windows with plastic sheeting. Removal personnel should be wearing a hasmat suit and dust mask. The sealed off enclosure is dampened down with a water spray bottle asbestos dampening product to reduce any possible airbourne asbestos particles. The asbestos material is then removed, bagged inside the sealed enclosure in yellow hazardous waste bags. the yellow bags are then taken out of the sealed enclosure and taken to a registered hazardous waste disposal landfill site.

Type 3 - This procedure is the most comprehensive removal and disposal procedures. The area with asbestos material is to be sealed off in the same way as type 2 above but has a separate enclosure with a shower unit inside. In addition to this, the sealed enclosure is required to be a negative air enclosure that will require confirmation of correct set up. So removal personnel will be wearing hazmat suits and mask - enter the first enclosure, shower, then move into the second enclosure (with the asbestos material) Removal and bagging the asbestos material in the yellow hazardous waste bags is to be performed before removing from the enclosure and taken to a registered hazardous waste disposal landfill site.

As you can see from the above, the MOE have very stringent removal and disposal procedures for hazardous waste material.

However, I have recently been involved in an asbestos abatement project with asbestos containing material in the stippled ceiling, wall plaster and flooring. Although the floor tile was found to be asbestos containing material, it was removed using a tile scraper under the tile and levered up to remove the tiles from the floor. this was a relatively low risk removal process and required the use of type 1 procedures noted above. Do not use a power saw to cut the tiles or similar tool that will throw small particles into the air. This procedure will reclassify the asbestos and become 'friable' and will require the use of type 2 procedures.

Although, the removal of the flooring on the home/property in Calgary would most probably be a relatively low risk project. it is important to know the possible risks that asbestos removal and disposal can present.

I would suggest that you hire an environmental consultant (cost would be approx $800 +/-) to review the material, take a sample to test in a lab to confirm positive or negative asbestos and recommend a removal and disposal procedure. This would not only keep you out of hot water with the MOE, it would also give you peace of mind that future tenants in the property would not encounter any asbestos exposure. Please ensure that you hire a Professional Engineer, and that a final results and recommendation report is provided c/w a Professional Engineer's seal.

Hope this helps.

Pete.

dpeacock

Registered
Thanks Pete. That's good information. There are 2 layers of Lino, the first layer, i suspect has some asbestos and would probably be a type one.

acurAspec

Registered
My house was built in 1958 in Ontario and has three layers of linoleum in the kitchen. I too was very worried about the asbestos but have decided to cover it up and build up the new floor on top which I tiled. It turned out stiff and perfectly fine. Does not squeak and no cracks so it seems it was done well. Now I have a floor that is raised in places but the transition is done well. As much as we would all like to have a perfectly levelled floor, in rentals it's not a huge deal. If it was my million dollar mansion, i would want the floors level but in this case, I am happy with the outcome and linoleum tiles have not been agitated. Assuming there is asbestos, a proper removal would have cost way too much for what i was willing to pay.

Sasha

MarkHealy

Registered
Keep in mind that REAL linoleum (also called by some battleship) does not have asbestos in it, it is made of clay, cork, linseed oil and colour (you can even eat it - see youtube) Sheet vinyl before the late 70's can have asbestos. VA tile (Vinyl Asbestos) does have it, these can often be identified by the 9 x 9 inch size. VC tile (Vinyl Composite) usually doesn't. There are companies in Calgary that test flooring material for it. The largest risk is when the material has deteriorated and can become air born (such as when sanded).

Although a pain removal and disposal may be the best route. You usually can only go 2 layer of sheet vinyl with out new sub floor and the problem will still be there. A newer product on the market is a "glass back" sheet vinyl as opposed to "felt back", that can do 3 layers with the need for another sub floor.

Top Bottom