Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Printing and links

EdRenkema

Registered
Hi everyone,

I asked Grant for help with these issues and he kindly directed me to this subforum and I`m embarassed to say I don`t even know how to conduct some basic tasks here or on any IT usage.
style_emoticons

First, I like to save any posts of relevant importance in a hard copy so when I print them the entire thread gets printed out, yesterday I did one where I only needed one paragraph and I got 5 pages printed out - how can I get just one post or even one paragraph printed out? Is there also a way to save something of importance in `my controls` section?
Second, how can I post a link as I often see people do on the forum for news articles or websites?

Thanks for your help!
Ed R

BMironov

Registered
Hi Ed,

I guess, the best way to save just one paragraph would be to copy it to text editor (eg, MS Word) and print from there.
Another good options to save a copy could be:
- check "print preview" and select only needed pages to send to printer
- use PDF-print option to save page as PDF file that you can use as a soft copy (read about it at this place)

To post a link grab it from address field of your browser and post into your reply on this forum. The rest will be done automatically.

Best regards,
Boris

EdRenkema

Registered
Hi Boris,

Thanks a lot for your response, its a start. As usual people make the assumption I am familiar with certain functions. I certainly do not know how to copy to text editor or use print preview, nor do know what a PDF-print option is and I`m sorry to say I`m not sure what involves grabbing a link from the address field of my browser.
To give an analogy: if you are not familiar with racing bikes and you ask a bike mechanic how to adjust the 10 speed shifters on your new bike, he/she will likely ask if they are Campagnolo or Shimano (most are Shimano). If you don`t know and you are dealing with such hi end componentry its time to bring the bike in to the mechanic even for such a simple adjustment and they`d be happy to show you. I`m not a bike mechanic - far from it, but thru experience I can make those simple adjustments. Most people are not IT experts but they can do those simple things you suggested and I`m sure I can once I`ve actually gone through the process.
Question is how can I get that experience from where I`m sitting now??
Thanks again for your help,

regards,
Ed R

NickStewart

Registered
QUOTE (EdRenkema @ Jan 11 2008, 09:12 AM) Hi Boris,Thanks a lot for your response, its a start. As usual people make the assumption I am familiar with certain functions. I certainly do not know how to copy to text editor or use print preview, nor do know what a PDF-print option is and I`m sorry to say I`m not sure what involves grabbing a link from the address field of my browser.To give an analogy: if you are not familiar with racing bikes and you ask a bike mechanic how to adjust the 10 speed shifters on your new bike, he/she will likely ask if they are Campagnolo or Shimano (most are Shimano). If you don`t know and you are dealing with such hi end componentry its time to bring the bike in to the mechanic even for such a simple adjustment and they`d be happy to show you. I`m not a bike mechanic - far from it, but thru experience I can make those simple adjustments. Most people are not IT experts but they can do those simple things you suggested and I`m sure I can once I`ve actually gone through the process.Question is how can I get that experience from where I`m sitting now??Thanks again for your help,regards,Ed RHi Ed,To answer the question of "how can I get that experience from where I`m sitting now??", the answer is to try, try again... Computers are great in that you can play around and learn to do things, and for the most part, you can get rid of mistakes pretty easily.
Here`s a quick lesson in "cut-and-paste" that will help you to do what you are trying to do.

Probably the easiest way is to:

First, "highlight
" the text you want to copy - for example, to copy the words in the first sentence that say "first open a text editor" you simply position your cursor (the part on the screen that moves when you move your mouse) directly in front of the text you want to copy, click down on the left mouse button and hold it down, then drag the cursor (the arrow for your mouse) to the end of the text you want to copy. As you do this, you will see the text in question goes to a reverse background - that`s highlighting.

The next step is to "copy
" the text. To do this you can release the left mouse button, position the cursor over top of the highlighted text and do one of two things:

1 - click on the right mouse button - a menu should appear with "copy
" being one of the options, position the cursor over "copy
" and left click.

2 - press and hold the "Ctrl
" key on your keyboard and press the "c
" key ( Ctrl-C
) this does the same thing as step #1 only quicker and it works even on most web documents that have safeguards to prevent copying text

Congratulations - you`ve just copied text to your clipboard (the clipboard is like an invisible corkboard - anything you "copy
" is temporarily held on there until you "paste
" it somewhere else)

Now, to save it somewhere where it will be accessible to you in the future - here are a couple of suggestions:

1 - Save it to a document in Microsoft Word or in a text editor that comes with Windows - you could create a Word document called VTBs and save any relevant posts about VTBs in that document for future reference. Do this by opening Word, or your text editor, positioning your cursor on the page and either "right clicking
" the mouse to use the "paste
" function the same way you did the "copy" function, or do a Ctrl-V
(press and hold "Ctrl
" and press "v>"). Either one of those actions places the text from your clipboard into your text editor. 2 - For really easy access, I like to save things I find in my email program, since I already have a folder structure in place that is very easy to navigate. I just open my email program, click "new" to create a new email message, paste the text in the email window that opens (following the process in 1 above), type in a subject line that makes sense to me and then save it by clicking "save" in the "file" menu.

That, in a nutshell is cut-and-paste
. You can use it for posts from the forums, from stories on the internet, or with text that someone has emailed to you. Play around with it - if you mess up, delete and start over.

Have fun and happy information hoarding!

Nick

Edited because I somehow managed to post only half the post and had to finish it... d`oh!

EdRenkema

Registered
Thanks Nick, I`m working on it. Cut and paste I did, I`ve just got to figure out how/where to retrieve it, I will now that my confidence is incrementally increased!
style_emoticons

GarthChapman

Registered
Hi Ed,

It may seem daunting now but once you build your foundation and understand the fundamentals... Hey, it`s just like learning about real estate investing.

Suggest you start by going to this website where you will find some free online teaching and you can order a free CD. I hear this is good stuff and very easy to follow.
http://www.videoprofessor.com/

Hope this helps to get you going,

EdRenkema

Registered
QUOTE (GarthChapman @ Jan 11 2008, 10:02 AM) Hi Ed,

It may seem daunting now but once you build your foundation and understand the fundamentals... Hey, it`s just like learning about real estate investing.

Suggest you start by going to this website where you will find some free online teaching and you can order a free CD. I hear this is good stuff and very easy to follow.
http://www.videoprofessor.com/

Hope this helps to get you going,

Hey Garth,
Thanks a lot!
I`ve seen this guy-the video professor on his TV ads, he just radiates enthusiasm, something else to work on (and take me away from my QuickStart homestudy program B) )

Grant

Registered
Thanks to everyone for your replies. That was a great tutorial, Nick.

Ed, I don`t think that you`re unusual for not knowing a lot about computers. There are tons of people in your boat and I`d rather see people like you learn rather than just sit back and let everything pass you by. I`ve had a few questions about copying and pasting, so now we have a resource to send them to.

I think that your questions were covered - if there`s anything you need more clarification with, let us know!

Top Bottom