Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

REIN membership

invst4profit

Registered
Hi everyone. I am new here and trying to gauge the payback on my investment in membership.What I see on the surface is Training seminars, networking, JV`s, etc but what I don`t see on this public forum is a clear investment pholosphy. There is no hard hitting assesment of members investment opportunities. I have to assume that is taking place in the members only sections.
I do see some posts from what appear to be novice investors asking questions about problems they are having on what on the surface appear to be bad investments. Unfortunatly I don`t see them being told they are bad or that they should cut there loses and run.
Now don`t get me wrong I am not trying to criticize I am trying to analyze the value of being a member.
If the real bones are in the members sections how do I see if this group fits my investment philosophy.
I am a member on several REI forums as many of you probably are and have access to lots of investment info there and at the library. I have a local Investment real estate owners group and no need for partners so my question is (and I hope this dosn`t get me booted off the forum):

What does REIN offer that I can`t already get for free?

MarkTorgerson

REIN Member
QUOTE (invst4profit @ Nov 16 2007, 02:36 PM) Hi everyone. I am new here and trying to gauge the payback on my investment in membership.What I see on the surface is Training seminars, networking, JV`s, etc but what I don`t see on this public forum is a clear investment pholosphy. There is no hard hitting assesment of members investment opportunities. I have to assume that is taking place in the members only sections.
I do see some posts from what appear to be novice investors asking questions about problems they are having on what on the surface appear to be bad investments. Unfortunatly I don`t see them being told they are bad or that they should cut there loses and run.
Now don`t get me wrong I am not trying to criticize I am trying to analyze the value of being a member.
If the real bones are in the members sections how do I see if this group fits my investment philosophy.
I am a member on several REI forums as many of you probably are and have access to lots of investment info there and at the library. I have a local Investment real estate owners group and no need for partners so my question is (and I hope this dosn`t get me booted off the forum):

I think every member will see varying returns on investment depending on where they are at in their investing career. It may be from pure education, networking, access to posting and investing in various opportunities on the classifieds, the forum, access to experienced professionals, and even one on one conversations with Don himself. You may also want to check out the success stories section to get a feel for return on investments. I can only speak for myself. I have been a member for less than a year. Prior to joining, I had purchased 40 doors and considered myself a fairly sophisticated investor. After being a member for just a few months, my only regret is that I didn`t join years ago. Without getting into detail, I have already paid for my membership 10 times over. As a wiseman once told me "how do you know what you don`t know"? It`s worth the minimal risk. The payoff has been big for me and I only see it getting bigger the more aggressive I become with my portfolio.
Mark

TylerUzelman

REIN Member
I personally believe that the REIN membership is a must for anyone interested in real estate investing to any large degree. I have been a REIN member for 4 years and have been investing in real estate for 5 years. The first year we started investing we purchased two properties and took the course landlord 101(maybe a few times) from the "school of hard knocks". The 1st year we joined REIN we purchased 20 properties. I feel that REIN mainly gave us a 2 things in order to accomplish this:
1.) Other investors to network with, to go for coffee with, ask questions to, get advice from. I am a very confident person and feel I have great desire and ambition, but the meetings for me are great motivators and times to capture more focus in your life in the direction of real estate investing. I would put money that if you were to take a calendar for 2004 and put all the REIN meetings on it and then put on the dates we made offers on properties, 90% of the offers came within 2 weeks after a REIN meeting. Focus, focus, focus!
2.) Confidence in the market. Every month at the meetings Don goes through "What`s Behind the Curtain" (Which quickly became our favorite part!) He collected and distributed to everyone articles from the past month which built great foundations of confidence, as well as great sales pieces for Joint Ventures...

Sure you can get the information elsewhere for free, for me though, the real benefit is being in a room with 400 other people that enjoy real estate as much(or more) than I do.

So for ascertaining a return on your investment, I think that really depends on how much action you have in your life right now and how much you would have if you joined? I look at it this way... If joining REIN only allowed you to purchase and manage 1 extra property every year, the monetary return on that property could be divided by the membership fee and that would give you a percentage return.
Let`s say the average property goes up only 5% per year, with the average property value of $345,000, the gain would be $17,250. Divided by $2,400 per year for membership fees give a nice return of 718% per year per property, not counting cashflow or mortgage pay down.
I know that is a very rough way of figuring out return, but can you really put a percentage return on relationships and focus?
I guess its just up to the individual to ascertain whether being a member has increased their abilitiy to purchase and manage more real estate properties, and I would guess a very high percentage of current REIN members would say "YES" it has, I know it sure has for us!
Hope this helps, good luck and happy investing!
Tyler

jclacasse

Registered
Hi Greg,

I understanding that the cost of membership might seem like a lot of money for someone starting out but I can assure you that when you join you will be completly happy with the return on cost.

I can make this statement without hesitation because I have invested in residential & commercial real estate for several years and made over 40 million in 5 years starting with nothing. I`m not trying to impress because I have lost it all but I can tell you that the knowledge and experience of the people running this organization is quite remarkable not to mention the members themselves who help each other to grow as a team & form relationships. If I had all this behind me when I started I would still be on my Belize.

I have joined and glad of it even though I will only be starting to invest next spring. In the process of renovating my house bought for 135K nine years ago and after repair sale price approx. 500K.

So you can see Real estate is very profitable but without a good system and a Team behind you it can all lost very fast.

All the best

J.C.

WadeFenner

Inspired Forum Member
Hello,

As one of the longest term paying members of REIN and one of only 20 Diamond members in Alberta (more than 100 properties purchased)...... I have this to say........ for whatever it may or may not be worth to you or anybody else.......

In my opionion......

You will not get the same information anywhere...... at any price and you certainly won`t get it for free.

You might be able to do certain amounts of research yourself and find out about certain details of the economy, major construction projects, financing techniques, housing trends (sales, new housing starts), foreclosures, the rental market, money saving ideas, how to raise capitol, joint venture details, legal issues, etc, etc, etc), and a dozen or three other topics on your own......... but it will come at a cost much greater than the monthly dues REIN will cost you ....................

and that is your time.........

and you will not be able to uncover the depth of information that the REIN research team uncovers or the interpretation drerived from that information..... nor will you have the benefits of the contibutions that other REIN members make to REIN and its members....... where do you think half of the topics and tricks of the trade come from...... the REIN office or the 1000 plus members of REIN who have bought a couple of "BILLION" dollars worth of real estate in the last 10-15 years.

This type of information is not obtainable from anybody anywhere.......

You might find some of it....... but at the expense of your time when you should be out learning the market, raising capitol, finding Joint Venture partners, writing offers, and ultimately buying properties...........

or you can be a researcher.......

The choice is yours....

oh yeah......... if you really want to know how I feel just ask...... lol

Take Care & Good Luck,

Wade Fenner

QUOTE (invst4profit @ Nov 16 2007, 02:36 PM) Hi everyone. I am new here and trying to gauge the payback on my investment in membership.What I see on the surface is Training seminars, networking, JV`s, etc but what I don`t see on this public forum is a clear investment pholosphy. There is no hard hitting assesment of members investment opportunities. I have to assume that is taking place in the members only sections.

WadeFenner

Inspired Forum Member
Hello......... me again.......

One other minor point to your question "What does REIN offer that you can`t already get for free?"........... well basically.........

Everything.

Cheers,

Wade

AndreiAngelkovski

REIN Member
What a phenomenal response! I have tried answering this question many many times and could never get the right words to say it...but Wade said it like it is.

Thank you!

QUOTE (WadeFenner @ Nov 16 2007, 11:28 PM) Hello......... me again.......

One other minor point to your question "What does REIN offer that you can`t already get for free?"........... well basically.........

Everything.

Cheers,

Wade

GarthChapman

Registered
Excellent questions Greg. And very similar to those I had in early 2003 before I joined REIN in May of that year.

In 1999 I managed to lose all that my wife and I had worked for during the previous 25 years. In late 2001 we began investing in Real Estate, and by early 2003 we were making a reasonable living at it. Since joining REIN we have achieved financial freedom - by our measure that means doing on what we do because we want to, while our Real Estate investments support our lifestyle. We would not have achieved this level of success without the support of the REIN community. And we get to belong to a group led by people with integrity and a passion for helping its members achieve success, and a clearly demonstrated desire to support its members in their efforts in `paying it forward`. I would suggest that`s pretty hard to find these days.

You can go it alone in this business, and many do well on their own, or you can belong to a group of others with similar objectives. If it`s the group environment you choose then choose the group wisely, as I`m sure you will.

So REIN , in short, stands for:

R - Results through Research
E - Education in Economics
I - Investing with Integrity
N - National Network

C - Connection with Capital - and - Canadian Content
A - Achievement through Action
N - Nurturing Knowledge
A - Assisting Action
D - Due Diligence
A - Acquiring Assets

and if there was an F in the above acronym it would be for `Financial Fundamentals`.

Hope that helps in your decision making,

MikeMcCrae

Registered
I had several properties before becoming a member. And I agree with Torq. I wish I would have joined years earlier. Is the REIN info available for free? Yes it is if you work to find it it is out there. I just prefer to get the info direct and spend my time actually in the real estate game and I am happy to pay Don, Russell, and company to do the research for me. The monthly meetings are my attitude adjustments and take me away from the negativity of the headlines. The opportunity to hang around positive people with similar interests is a great thing as well, and I have made many good friends thru my association with this group.

We don`t need REIN but why reinvent the wheel when for a few bucks a month they train, motivate, mentor, and provide us with market studies and information that would take us a long time to aquire for our selves.

Direct return on investment? Not exactly sure, I have made a bundle in the last year because of them. (at least 100 times the fee)

My take on the investment philosophy is every one needs to win, you need to make some money and honesty and integrity is paramount. Sounds good to me!

I guess I am a fan!!

navaz

Registered
QUOTE (invst4profit @ Nov 16 2007, 03:36 PM) Hi everyone. I am new here and trying to gauge the payback on my investment in membership.What I see on the surface is Training seminars, networking, JV`s, etc but what I don`t see on this public forum is a clear investment pholosphy. There is no hard hitting assesment of members investment opportunities. I have to assume that is taking place in the members only sections.

Hello Greg

Looks like there are more than a couple of fans. I am an accountant in public practice. I have invested in real estate prior to becoming a REIN member. The value is in research and clarity of unbiased information provided. I saw my net worth go up 5 times in less then 3 years and have seen clients do the same. But I have also seen clients who got zero value from this research because they failed to take action.

invst4profit

Registered
Thank you all for your responces. They are appreciated.
I can see you all have benifited from your membership and I can understand why.
For me I have adopted a clear and proven plan for my investments but do continue
to research what others have found successful. What I buy, how I buy, how much I pay,
how I deal with renters etc. has come from the experiences of others like yourselves.
Feed back on this forum (and others) is of prime interest to me. I would probably
not have the time or inclination to go to meetings so the group envirinment, which appears
key to the value of REIN, would be missing for me.
As with any group or orginization the value comes from personal involvement, you get back based on what you put in, which in my case would probably be limited beyond this forum. At this time I am undecided but will continue to lurk in a effort to learn more about REIN membership.
Thank you all again.

Grant

Registered
The meetings are definitely a big part of REIN. However, if you are interested in the research side of things, there is By Mail membership, in which you get all the benefits of membership, minus attending the meetings for half-price. So you still get the information without attending, if you`re not interested in that side of it. Just something to consider.

In the meantime, I hope to see you around the forums. Feel free to direct any questions to the members here or to myself or any of the rest of the administration team.
style_emoticons

RebeccaBryan

Registered
Dear Greg,

Firstly, I would like to say that I`m the biggest sceptic on the face of the earth! Listen to the advise in the above messages. Wade Fenner couldn`t have said it better! Being a REIN member gave me the ability to change my life.

In Sept. of 2003, I became sick and moved in with my Mother. My MOM is a REIN member and at that time had been one for 2 years. After the age of 60 she decided to join REIN. Now, I must say, my MOM joined many things over the years including some multi-level marketing schemes I thought were quacky, so when I heard her say she had joined this REIN group, I kind of passed it off as if she were crazy to spend her money once again.

This time, it was a little difficult to ignore. With the knowledge that REIN gave her she first bought a little house with a suite in the basement, then she bought a four-plex, then a six-plex, then she bought a 21 suite apartment building, then a 17 suite apartment building. She did that all in the first two years after she had joined REIN.

Then she encouraged me to join and paid for my membership for the first year.

Two months after I joined REIN I bought my first property - a duplex. Then I convinced my sweetheart to invest with me and we now own 6 rental properties.

I now pay for my oldest daughters REIN membership to pass on the incredible gift I was given.

We have done a JV with my stepson and we are now doing one with my oldest son.

Tomorrow we are putting an offer in on an apartment building.

Life is FANTABULOUS!

If it wasn`t for the REIN group, and the research done on the fundamentals and the confidence it has given our family to invest, we would be nowhere near as well off as we are today. The wealth we are creating is incredible and the knowledge we are passing down through the generations makes us very proud. REIN was the best gift I`ve ever received and the best gift I`ve ever given.

We have seven children and our goal is to have them all join REIN eventually. Five of our children have attended the Quickstart Program and our 13 year old daughter not only had a great time when she attended but also made a goal that she was going to buy 3 properties in the next 5 years on order to put herself through medical school. All of our children listen to our direction and I assure you all of them will agree that our money was well invested in the monthly fee. I am proud to be a REIN member and will be one for years to come because I trust the reasearch and love how it keeps me updated on the fundamentals of what is going on around Edmonton.

Belonging to REIN gives me peace of mind.

I understand why people are sceptical as that is my nature. It was difficult to remain sceptical after watching my MOM.

I`m livin` easy street! And if I`m doing it.......anyone can. All with a grade 12 education. WOW! That`s probably why I prefer buying the knowledge, it saves me some time.

One more thing. My sister and brother-in-law are also REIN members. They now have 3 properties in less than a year.

Imagine what it`s like when our family gets together. I wonder what the subject is! LOL

Cheers!

Ryan

Registered
I am a new REIN member now of only 2 months. I attended a 1 QuickStart, 1 Workshop, and spent a day with Peter Kinch. There has yet to be an ROI in the financial sense but the information I`ve aquired has changed my life. My partner and I bought 1 revenue property prior to joining REIN and really wish I had the education then that I do now as I would have applied myself differently.

It`s not just about Real Estate Investing with this group. The entire scope is taken into consideration. Real Estate Investing of course, joint ventures, fundamental studies, land lording, managing your business, taxation considerations, legal considerations, mortgage planning (not the next one, but the next 3 or 4), how to optimize your portfoilio to balance future mortgage needs, and of course exit strategies.

Like the poster above, I am a sceptic. I`ve been to the "no money down" seminars hosted by slimey crooks that only want my money. I can say with all conviction that the single most valuable component of REIN is the focus on ethics, morality, culture the group promotes on giving back to the community.

When I heard Don Campbell say "be up front with the mortgage broker and tell him you aren`t going to live there and that you intend to rent the property" and "always leave something at the table for the other guy" I knew this group that aligned with my moral compass and I am very proud to be a part of this.

The cookies are good too - but thats another story.

Kind regards,

CalvinPeters

Registered

"Lots" or "nothing" it only depends on your perspective. I have seen a lot of people make "lots" and there is a bigger pile of people that make "nothing."

I guess I personally feel that any additional education that applies to the one great big giant thing that is the most applicable to my life (Real Estate) is important, even if i disagree with some points. (I am reffering to Donald Trump books, not REIN membership, insert giant smile here)

Now, having said all that, I will say what I DO say when people mention that REIN is expensive. "I cant AFFORD to not be a member" You can take that any way that you want.

Good Investing to you regardless,

Calvin.

EdRenkema

Registered
Thank you for all of your posts. This thread pushed me over the fence and I faxed in my application last night. I`m looking forward to meeting many of you at the upcoming Toronto seminar!!

An interesting note: reading Robert Kiyosaki books gave me the mindset needed to invest in RE. Reading the two books by Don Campbell gave me the `how to` invest in CANADIAN real estate.

Ed R

mikecunning

REIN Member
Hi Greg:

To me, REIN offers an incredible amount of value; field trips, research, meetings, the list goes on!

My business partner and I had previously been members of a similar group. Once we joined REIN, the choice between the two was clear.

We found that the quality of presentations in REIN, the UNBIASED research and the professionalism of the management team to be second to none. Most importantly, REIN offers an exceptional NETWORKING environment; one that is supportive and whose members can provide guidance.

These are the things that you can`t get for free!

Good luck

Mike

Grant

Registered
Congratulations on taking action, roadortrail. You will definitely learn more on the "how to" while keeping up the right mindset.

housingrental

Registered
Any other potential rein members suddenly think that joining rein is a bad idea after reading what I`ve quote below? No offense intended but this sort of stuff scares me.

"We have seven children and our goal is to have them all join REIN eventually. Five of our children have attended the Quickstart Program and our 13 year old daughter not only had a great time when she attended but also made a goal that she was going to buy 3 properties in the next 5 years on order to put herself through medical school. All of our children listen to our direction and I assure you all of them will agree that our money was well invested in the monthly fee. I am proud to be a REIN member and will be one for years to come because I trust the reasearch and love how it keeps me updated on the fundamentals of what is going on around Edmonton.

Belonging to REIN gives me peace of mind.

I understand why people are sceptical as that is my nature. It was difficult to remain sceptical after watching my MOM.

I`m livin` easy street! And if I`m doing it.......anyone can. All with a grade 12 education. WOW! That`s probably why I prefer buying the knowledge, it saves me some time"

RebeccaBryan

Registered
OK Secret Poster, Mr/Ms housingrental,

I`m failing to see what the problem is with my post.

Top Bottom