Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Sources of money for down payment

cmontminy

Registered
Does it make sense to withdrawal money from RRSP to use as a down payment?

This withdrawal would not be under the Home's Buyer's Plan as I already used it to purchase my 1st property.

I own two properties right now that are rented out; unfortunately with no cash flow and very little equity.

I need to come up with the down payment for a 3 property which would be my primary residence.

The only sources of money I can think of for this down payment are :

1- Sell my stocks from stock saving plan. Which I rather not as the stock price is very low at this moment.

2- Withdrawal from my RRSP and pay the income tax on it

Is there any other means of getting money for this down payment??

Thanks for your comments and help.

2ndstory

Registered
You could do it if you feel that the RRSP's are performing poorly, but like you mentioned, you will be taxed. Do you have equity in your 2 properties? If so, I would get a loan secured by one of them. Then you can claim the interest on that loan and get a tax deduction rather than have to pay more tax.

Nik

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Withdrawing RRSP $s will be taxed at your marginal rate. A possibility, but usually not too wise. Not buying a 3rd property and saving some more ought to be seriously considered !

Top Bottom