Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

USA resources and insights

Courtney Hammond

Courtney Hammond
Registered
Hello,

I've been searching through some of the feeds, and reading many of the posts regarding investing in the USA- but most of what I have found has been a few years back.

My situation is a bit different as my husband is American, and so we have access to American financing/business start up etc- and many of the feeds seem to be dealing with how a Canadian gets financing or deals with taxes. ( something we've already gone through multiple times over the past few years)

I'm hoping for some insight from REIN MEMBERS that invest in both Canadian and American (or just American) markets. My husband would really like to start buying a few places in his home state (Az) and I'm slowly wrapping my investment research around it all- but I feel like there are some many more factors- but maybe it's just that it's in a location I don't live in- which would be a first for me.

Any books- blogs- people that invest well... we would probably be starting with single family rentals- but I'm building to multi family in the next couple of years- either here or there.

So- not really a question... but open to anything you may have experience with, resources for, or thoughts in general on the current market (especially in AZ) trends.

Thanks

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
AZ has a six year run since 2010 but of course cash flowing properties can be found there as well as many states. Your question is a wee bit broad. There are dozens of books on US real estate.

We had a good run in Dallas, TX.

Start with a neighborhood with upside and specialize in it. AZ or even Phoenix is far too large to become an expert. Specialize in an asset type ( say THs or SFH or MF or MHP) and a very small area.

Last edited:

Courtney Hammond

Courtney Hammond
Registered
Thanks Thomas- books-- there are so many more that deal with American markets than Canadian! So I was hoping for some favourites that had sound principles. (Id like to avoid spending money or my very limited time on books/blogs/people that don't treat real estate like a business, that skip over foundational research or are mass producing their product for profit over the desire to teach others what they have done. (One of the main reasons I was drawn to REIN)

We will be starting in Tucson as that is my husbands hometown- and his dad owns a commercial brokerage there and has good insights into where Tucson as a city is going.

The main things I wonder about is if foreclosures/auctions are worth my time and energy... here-- rarely as there are so many hurdles and they are required to sell for market... but moving to the states I'm sorting through what reality vs tv/belief actually in with regards to these types of properties.

I've found a few really good producers doing my first round pretend runs. Largely doing what we do in Edmonton with Legal suites- and finding properties in decent areas with guest houses... i feel its a good way to start to learn an area is to have a few income producers on one purchase.

Thanks for the simple reminder that what I do here- I can do there and it's really the same thing.

Marnie

Frequent Forum Member
Staff member
REIN Member
Hello,

I've been searching through some of the feeds, and reading many of the posts regarding investing in the USA- but most of what I have found has been a few years back.

My situation is a bit different as my husband is American, and so we have access to American financing/business start up etc- and many of the feeds seem to be dealing with how a Canadian gets financing or deals with taxes. ( something we've already gone through multiple times over the past few years)

I'm hoping for some insight from REIN MEMBERS that invest in both Canadian and American (or just American) markets. My husband would really like to start buying a few places in his home state (Az) and I'm slowly wrapping my investment research around it all- but I feel like there are some many more factors- but maybe it's just that it's in a location I don't live in- which would be a first for me.

Any books- blogs- people that invest well... we would probably be starting with single family rentals- but I'm building to multi family in the next couple of years- either here or there.

So- not really a question... but open to anything you may have experience with, resources for, or thoughts in general on the current market (especially in AZ) trends.

Thanks
Hi Courtney, also check out the latest issue of REIN Life Magazine - the focus of this issue is Canadian's investing in the U.S. and there are several excellent articles to support you.

Courtney Hammond

Courtney Hammond
Registered
Thanks for your links and recommendations :)

I have read through both multiple times already! (REIN LIFE magazine is a highlight piece of mail for me)

With my husband being American, most of the information was helpful, but not applicable in the same way as we are able to separate the two companies and structure everything completely different.

I think most of my hesitation is the same as even moving outside of Edmonton - lol just have to start somewhere and build/learn :)

Thanks again! I appreciate the time you've all taken to respond!

Top Bottom