Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Wheres the Best Place to invest in Canada?

JordanRich

Registered
Hello all,

I currently live and invest in Ontario, I realize that there are top ten lists for ontario and the west but is there a top ten list for all of Canada?

I am considering investing in Ontario but i am really pissed off about the rent control and it frustrates me that even in the top towns here you are still resticted by our governent thus when your expenses go up we cannot offset that with rental increases.

I am very interested to invest in place`s like Edmonton but the distance from my home concerns me. Any advice out there? thanks.

Jack

Registered
QUOTE Stick with Ontario

Ontario does have significantly more non-residential investment than any other province in the country, and this statistic can basically be thought-of as laying the foundation for future output.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (housingrental @ Jan 2 2009, 06:13 PM) Stick with OntarioA Top 10 town in Onatario close to home may make sense due to closeness and $s invested .. but for larger amounts where some initially frequent, later semi-annual travel can be justified the WEST IS BEST .. see this article here in the Financial Post of Dec. 4, 2008:Alberta is the best province in the country at creating a positive investment climate while struggling Ontario is fifth overall, says a report released Thursday by independent research organization the Fraser Institute. The organization looks a various provincial policies from tax rates to regulation, transportation, infrastructure and fiscal prudence, said Niels Veldhuis, Fraser Institute director of fiscal studies and coauthor of the report.

"If you look comprehensively across all of those measures, Alberta ranks first among all the provinces," he said, adding it has been the national leader now for a number of years.

Alberta was Canada`s top province this year with a score of 8.5 out of a possible 10 in the Institute`s annual index, which objectively evaluates the public policies that create and sustain a positive investment climate. Saskatchewan and British Columbia ranked second and third
in a virtual tie
(Saskatchewan scored 5.9 out of 10, B.C. 5.8).

more here: http://www.prestprop.com/top10/AlbertaRank...rInvestment.pdf

Jack

Registered
QUOTE Alberta was Canada`s top province this year with a score of 8.5 out of a possible 10 in the Institute`s annual index, which objectively evaluates the public policies that create and sustain a positive investment climate. Saskatchewan and British Columbia ranked second and third in a virtual tie
(Saskatchewan scored 5.9 out of 10, B.C. 5.8).

My guess is that since the study was released in 2008, it was done on 2007 data. I wonder how things will change for 2008, and, especially, 2009, with all the recent $45Bish of planned investment in Alberta either halted or scrapped completely.

I wonder how this study will change things with Stelmach`s new royalty framework, as well as the 2008 land sale figures which were much higher in both British Columbia and Saskatchewan than Alberta, with the common reasoning from companies being that they`ll get a higher IRR by operating in either of the two provinces than Alberta.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (Jack @ Jan 3 2009, 06:13 PM) My guess is that since the study was released in 2008, it was done on 2007 data. I wonder how things will change for 2008, and, especially, 2009, with all the recent $45Bish of planned investment in Alberta either halted or scrapped completely.

I wonder how this study will change things with Stelmach`s new royalty framework, as well as the 2008 land sale figures which were much higher in both British Columbia and Saskatchewan than Alberta, with the common reasoning from companies being that they`ll get a higher IRR by operating in either of the two provinces than Alberta.
nothing fundamental has changed RELATIVE to each other .. all provinces are "worse off" compared to a year ago ..

the oil not the oil sands nor the uranium nor the gas nor teh National parks not the mountains not the potash will go anywhere .. it stays in teh ground waiting for $s/unit to improve ..

DaveToynbee

Dave Toynbee
REIN Member
Jordan,

I live in Vancouver, and have been investing in Edmonton for the past few years. I don`t find the distance factor to be much of a problem. It has it`s pro`s and cons. pros:
- Allows me to live my life while the property managers deal with the day to days
- No Proper transfer tax in AB
- Can raise rents as much as you want once a year

Cons:
- a bit more up front research of the area to determine the differences in rules, areas etc.
- travel costs.

The fundamentals and numbers make sense for me to invest there. If they do for you, the distance factor can be dealt with.

Mike Milovick

Registered
Hi Jordan;

Hate to be biassed, but Waterloo. Hi-tech, insurance, two universities. And unbeatable demographics to go with it. About as recession-proof as you can get. In recessionary environment, I think buying in this City is about as defensive a move you can make.

Also, note re: rent control and Ontario. You are free to set rents to market upon re-rental. There are also mechanisms available for rent increases above guideline.

Mike

QUOTE (JordanRich @ Jan 2 2009, 12:20 PM) Hello all,

I currently live and invest in Ontario, I realize that there are top ten lists for ontario and the west but is there a top ten list for all of Canada?

I am considering investing in Ontario but i am really pissed off about the rent control and it frustrates me that even in the top towns here you are still resticted by our governent thus when your expenses go up we cannot offset that with rental increases.

I am very interested to invest in place`s like Edmonton but the distance from my home concerns me. Any advice out there? thanks.

Jack

Registered
QUOTE Hate to be biassed, but Waterloo. Hi-tech, insurance, two universities. And unbeatable demographics to go with it. About as recession-proof as you can get. In recessionary environment, I think buying in this City is about as defensive a move you can make.

I`ve been doing an analysis with many different performance metrics for the real estate business model that I`m wanting to embark upon, and I`m also finding that Waterloo is right at the very upper-echelon of the list.

Mike, I`ve heard great things about you and will definitely be in touch when my plans are a little more concrete.

housingrental

Registered
Also note - With Waterloo and regular change over with student housing rent control is almost irrelevant.

QUOTE (MikeMilovick @ Jan 4 2009, 11:09 AM) Hi Jordan;

Hate to be biassed, but Waterloo. Hi-tech, insurance, two universities. And unbeatable demographics to go with it. About as recession-proof as you can get. In recessionary environment, I think buying in this City is about as defensive a move you can make.

Also, note re: rent control and Ontario. You are free to set rents to market upon re-rental. There are also mechanisms available for rent increases above guideline.

Mike

Top Bottom