Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Would existing tenant have grounds for law suit if replace with lease option tentant/buyer

alangoldade

Registered
Hey:

Anyone have any experience selling a place with a tenant in it to a lease option buyer/tenant?

I`m wondering about the liability of the existing tenant filing complaint/suit that they were replaced by another "tenant". I.E. In the eyes of the law, when is the "lease option buyer" an "owner"?

I am in BC, if that matters.

Thanks for any thoughts.

markl

Registered
Hi Alan,

I am not as familiar with the Landlord tenant laws in BC but in Ontario that is a no no. We have to wait until the tenant leaves and the unit is vacant before we can put a Lease option tenant in. Typically it is easier to buy a property off a home owner and complete the transaction rather than waiting on a tenant to vacate.

Regards,

BarryMcGuire

REIN Member
I don`t think it matters what province you are in; tenants have rights and therefore impossible to punt an existing tenant solely for the reason of putting in a new lease/option tenant. Of course you could negotiate with the existing tenant, provide some inducement for him to leave. If you do this , you want the existing to give up his lease/rights and you want that covered legally so he can`t come back at you. You probably want a quit claim re the lease and DEFINITELY get your lawyer to help out with this one.

Cheers

Barry

Top Bottom