Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

2010 Success Story

Rickson9

Registered
The markets closed on an interesting year. 2009 and 2010 have been banner years to be fully invested in the stock market.

Chuong +56.5%

NASDAQ* +16.9%

S&P/TSX* +14.5%

S&P500* +12.8%

DOW* +11.0%

*does not include dividends

Best regards.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
How about 2011 ? With stocks at near pre-boom levels .. is it a good time to still stay fully invested in stocks ?

Rickson9

Registered
[quote user=ThomasBeyer]How about 2011 ? With stocks at near pre-boom levels .. is it a good time to still stay fully invested in stocks ?

That's a good question! Speaking for myself, I'm a buy (after price decline) and holder so the status of the market (ie 'pre-boom levels') doesn't impact my decision to continue to hold stocks in the businesses that I currently have. I haven't been out of the stock market since the mid-to-late 90s.

However, I have been unable to find many things to buy in the last 2 years. My activity has dropped to almost nothing. I am hoping that something I like takes a big hit in price in 2011 - ideally something already in my portfolio!

Best regards.

bizaro86

Registered
[quote user=Rickson9]

My activity has dropped to almost nothing. I am hoping that something I like takes a big hit in price in 2011 - ideally something already in my portfolio!

I took another look around your website, and am a bit curious about your stock selection criteria. Some of the criteria are discernible (high ROE with strong balance sheets, which obviously produces a high ROA, and you've mentioned strong owner-management in the past)

Do you actively prefer companies operating in fashion/apparel/retail industries from some reason, or do you feel the analysis of such companies is further within your circle of competence? I'm genuinely curious, because there is a significant industry concentration within your last-disclosed portfolio. That's obviously not a bad thing (put your eggs in one basket, and watch it) but I am curious whether you chose that industry intentionally or if it was incidental to the "bottom-up" selection of quality companies.

I've run through the SEC filings of a number of your holdings for my own purposes, and they all have good financial metrics. I find myself uncomfortable with consumer product companies that depend on a seasons fashion/fads etc. It adds a variable I can't quantify, which I dislike. I realize that's not entirely rationale, so I'm interested to hear your take.

Best regards,

Michael

Rickson9

Registered
[quote user=bizaro86]Do you actively prefer companies operating in fashion/apparel/retail industries from some reason, or do you feel the analysis of such companies is further within your circle of competence?

Hi Michael, this is a good question and there are a number of answers for me.

As you mentioned, I screen by 10 years of reliable net profit and returns on equity. Higher on the importance list are small size (single digit billions or a few hundred million in market cap), no long-term debt and the existence large shareholders (whether they are owner operators or not).

There are a number of companies that fit this profile, in a variety of industries including fashion/apparel/retail, confectionary, cosmetics, pharmaceutical, agricultural, entertainment, etc. Fate got me into retail since they showed the biggest swings in price when I was looking to buy. The price of retail stocks were hit hardest and showed the biggest price drops.

I like to buy during price drops (which seems to be unconventional), and in retail, the price appears to drop the hardest/fastest.

Second, in addition to liking retail because of their financials, I also like businesses that appeal to status. I know that individuals will pay almost any premium to display their status by what their wear, drive or otherwise consume. I am not so much buying retail as I am buying into the belief that society as a whole, will constantly seek to do this and large owner operators who have shown the ability to respond to this desire will run strong companies to fulfill this need.

It's not so much that I picked apparel, but that the financials picked apparel.

It's not so much that I put money into apparel as market crashes opened the door sooner to apparel.

I have invested in other industries in the past, but those companies were bought out. King World Productions bought by CBS (and CBS bought by Viacom) and Wrigleys bought by Mars. Also Marvel Entertainment and Barr Laboratories were taken over before I could secure a holding. Something seems to be directing me into apparel.

I hope that makes sense.

Best regards.

gwasser

Registered
Hi Rick,

Just spending a view minutes on-line and noticed the discussion on retail stocks, in particular smaller cap retail stocks.

The financial numbers of such stocks may seem to be good, but their small size also makes them higher risk. I do not necessarily mean their price volatility, although that can be considerable too. I mean financial risk especially when combined with the sensitivity of their sales and profit margins during the business cycle.

In my books, retail stocks are highly competitve, low margin businesses. This may be slightly different for 'status' retailers but as soon as the latter reach the size of a Birks or Renfrew there is no market left and they will have to cater to the masses. Their margins consequently will go down.

I used to own Danier Leather - well managed very experienced retailers. But in the down turns and with changing seasons (winter, spring, etc.) just hold onto your seat. That you buy them during market downturns is smart. Holding on to them after they reached a decent profit level is more dangerous. What is the upside and how much risk are you running when (not if) things go south?

Overall, I am a long term investor and one that likes to buy (at the right price) and then hold and collect dividends for a long time until the company loses its way or becomes significantly overpriced in the market. Thus in my books these retail investments are high risk and provide modest reward because who can predict fashion and who can predict market behavior especially in the short time windows that these retail stocks peak?

For the rest, as Spock says: "Live long and prosper" - or was that Warren Buffett? :)

Rickson9

Registered
[quote user=gwasser]Just spending a view minutes on-line and noticed the discussion on retail stocks, in particular smaller cap retail stocks.

The financial numbers of such stocks may seem to be good, but their small size also makes them higher risk. I do not necessarily mean their price volatility, although that can be considerable too. I mean financial risk especially when combined with the sensitivity of their sales and profit margins during the business cycle.

Hi Godfried, as always I appreciate your insights. You are correct that their margins are not as consistent as other industries. However, this is not to say that they are not consistent.

I like businesses that sell aspirational goods because of my cynical view that most of society will have a need to display their ego whether it's the clothes and watches they wear, cars they drive, and/or homes they live in. This makes their returns on equity to be healthy. Fossil's returns on shareholder equity have ranged from +14% to +20% over the last decade. The Buckle has ranged from +12% to +38%. K-Swiss has ranged from -25% to +35%. American Eagle has ranged from +10% to +25%. Columbia Sportswear has ranged from +7% to +30%.

For me, these wide swings make it very easy to pick a spot to buy. Businesses with tighter numbers are harder for me to make money with (ie. Berkshire Hathaway).

[quote user=gwasser]In my books, retail stocks are highly competitve, low margin businesses. This may be slightly different for 'status' retailers but as soon as the latter reach the size of a Birks or Renfrew there is no market left and they will have to cater to the masses. Their margins consequently will go down.

Fair enough. However, all businesses will face margin pressures as they get bigger. In addition, all businesses will face strong competition if they are successful. That's just life.

I focus only on businesses in the $500M to $2B range since it gives them a lot of room to grow. I discovered Fossil when it was a small $500M business.

It is also relatively safe to say that even thin margins can be wildly profitable if debt-free returns on equity are strong.

[quote user=gwasser]I used to own Danier Leather - well managed very experienced retailers. But in the down turns and with changing seasons (winter, spring, etc.) just hold onto your seat. That you buy them during market downturns is smart. Holding on to them after they reached a decent profit level is more dangerous. What is the upside and how much risk are you running when (not if) things go south?

I can't comment on Danier Leather because I am unfamiliar with their financials. I also want the businesses that I invest in to have large shareholders involved; preferably as the CEO. This way, I have a better chance that management will do what is in the best interest of myself and other shareholders as opposed to simply maximizing their compensation. I don't believe that Danier Leather has a strong insider shareholder presence.

[quote user=gwasser]Overall, I am a long term investor and one that likes to buy (at the right price) and then hold and collect dividends for a long time until the company loses its way or becomes significantly overpriced in the market. Thus in my books these retail investments are high risk and provide modest reward because who can predict fashion and who can predict market behavior especially in the short time windows that these retail stocks peak?

Good points and I appreciate that you are willing to share your perspective. It appears that both you and I are long term investors although I may not have been at it as long as you have ;)

For me, retail investments has been an easy way to experience very satisfying returns with minimal risk. Of the dozen stocks that I have bought in my brief investing life, I have only lost money with one stock; that's seems to be a half-decent record.

Speaking for myself, I only sell if I need the money or if the number of insider shareholders declines significantly.

With regards to dividends it would be ideal for me if the business doesn't distribute any.

I also don't care if the company becomes overpriced in the market nor do I believe that it is my role as an investor to try to predict fashion trends.

As an investor I seek to identify owner operated, debt-free businesses that have shown a history of good profitability and returns on shareholder equity. Once identified, I wait until bad news fills the media and everybody tells me that I'm crazy to be buying.

Best regards and thanks for reading!

Top Bottom