Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

August 2012 Canadian Economic Fundamentals

Ally

Research Assistant
Registered
Shorter mortgage is more money in your pocket

CALGARY, AB - Now that the dust has settled a little on the new mortgage lending rules, it`s time to put them into perspective.

This is not the first time mortgage amortizations have been limited to 25 years.

Read the full article here.

Ally

Research Assistant
Registered
Three Canadian cities among the world's most liveable

Three Canadian cities are among the world`s top five most liveable cities.

Vancouver, Toronto and Calgary made The Economist magazine`s 2012 list released earlier this week.

The survey ranks 140 cities based on a number of factors, including health care, stability, culture and environment, education and infrastructure ` with a score of up to 100.

Ally

Research Assistant
Registered
What you need to know about rental agreements

When I was 21, I moved out of my parents` house and into my very own apartment in downtown Victoria, B.C.

Not only did I have to manage my money for the first time, but I also entered into a 12-month rental agreement with a landlord ` which I would break eight months later when I realized I hadn`t saved enough to move out on my own, and both my poor budgeting skills and $9/hour job were sinking me further and further into debt.

Leaving my rental unit before the end of my lease was a costly lesson to learn. Not only was I out the equivalent of one months` rent ($650) - the fee to break the lease - but I also lost some of my damage deposit because I couldn`t afford to wash the carpets with a steam cleaner ` a mandatory requirement for all tenants in my building upon vacating each apartment.

Ally

Research Assistant
Registered
There's more to monetary policy than interest rates

Many readers are objecting to my assertions that Canadian monetary policy is excessively tight by pointing out that the overnight rate is sitting at a near-historic low of 1 per cent. This, however, is an ineffective way to measure monetary policy. As Milton Friedman said in 2000:

`We know from the past that interest rates can be a very deceptive indicator of the state of affairs. A low interest rate may be a sign of an expansive monetary policy or of an earlier restrictive policy. And similarly, a high rate may be a sign of restriction, of trying to hold things down; or it may be a sign of past inflation.`

Ally

Research Assistant
Registered
Fears of steep home price decline 'much ado about nothing,' CIBC says

A widely anticipated downturn in the housing market may not be as bad as feared because the important 25-34 age group will continue to buy houses ` some with help from their well-off parents, says a senior economist at CIBC World Markets.

The analysis takes aim at a theory that population growth won`t be strong enough to sustain demand, putting downward pressure on housing prices that have risen dramatically during a years-long period of relatively low interest rates.

Ally

Research Assistant
Registered
Private sector responsible for stimulating economy, Flaherty says

TORONTO ` Finance Minister Jim Flaherty says stimulating the economy ultimately falls on the heads of the private sector.

Flaherty says the government has already introduced measures in the budget to compel Canadian corporations to invest some $525 billion of dead cash back into the economy.

He cites the accelerated capital cost allowance and the mining exploration credit as examples of his government's strategies.

Flaherty adds that the government has also used the tax system to encourage businesses to use their capital.

Ally

Research Assistant
Registered
Student rental scam warning

BY NRPS

With students returning to college and university over the next couple of weeks, fraudsters are returning to a common scam to defraud unsuspecting landlords renting to students. Suspects respond to ads by email or phone claiming to be an out-of-town student or parent of a student and offer to rent the apartment. The scam can then take a couple of forms. The suspects will forward a cheque for payment of rent for the full year. A few weeks later the suspects will claim to have decided to attend another college or university and ask for their money back, less an amount for the troubles of the landlord. The suspects will ask that the funds be returned by money transfer to an out-of-town or overseas location. Alternatively, the suspects will send a cheque in an amount greater than the rent, claiming the extra funds are for moving or transportation expenses for their `child` and ask that the funds be forwarded to a third party to assist with the move or transportation, again by money transfer.

Ally

Research Assistant
Registered
Our debt troubles aren't as dire as we think

Canada`s household debt problem is not quite as bad as we think it is.

By some measures, growth in debt has stalled or slowed this year. Take credit cards ` outstanding balances are flat on a year-over-year basis. And where borrowing is rising the most ` car loans ` you can argue that people are making rational economic decisions to replace aging vehicles.

Ally

Research Assistant
Registered
CIBC says governments to boost economy less than bank of Canada expects

TORONTO - Economists at CIBC say the Bank of Canada's forecast could be too rosy when it comes to how big a boost government spending will give to the country's economy.

"Just as we warned that the Bank was too optimistic in its initial 2012 call, its 2013 forecast also looks to be counting its government spending chickens well before they will be hatched," said CIBC chief economist Avery Shenfeld.

Ally

Research Assistant
Registered
Canadian housing market to slow in 2013

OTTAWA - Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp. is forecasting a moderate slowdown in new-home construction starts as well as sales of existing housing.

The Ottawa-based federal agency isn't calling for a major decline, but its latest forecast suggests next year will be somewhat softer than estimates CMHC issued in June while 2012 may be somewhat stronger than previously expected.

Ally

Research Assistant
Registered
Canadians more optimistic about job security this labour day

TORONTO - A new Labour Day survey suggests Canadians are more optimistic this year about their job security as well as hiring and growth prospects at their companies `and many expect a raise.

The Bank of Montreal poll finds nearly two-thirds, or 64 per cent, of respondents are comfortable with their job security.

The survey suggests 41 per cent believe their company is growing and will be hiring.

Both measures are up 13 percentage points from the number of employees who expressed confidence last Labour Day.

Ally

Research Assistant
Registered
Canada to be among tiny elite to keep AAA status

As debt crises and an aging population put pressure on government spending around the world, Canada will be part of a small, elite group of countries to retain a top-notch credit rating, says a new report from Citibank.

`Canada and the Scandinavian countries are the only countries covered in our Sovereign Ratings Outlook that we believe rating agencies will maintain a `AAA Stable` status both in the near- and longer-term,` a group of Citibank economists wrote last week in a client note obtained by The Huffington Post Canada.

Ally

Research Assistant
Registered
Alberta and Saskatchewan top labour market in North America

A new Fraser Institute labour survey turned up no real surprises in finding Alberta and Saskatchewan are leading North America in job creation and growth.

Alberta ranks first and Sasktchewan is second, while Ontario lags behind at 16th place.

The report found Alberta had the highest average total employment out of all the provinces.

Top Bottom