Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Bowed wall - how to and should I find out if internal wood frame/wall is bowed or just external brick is the cause?

Nir

REIN Member
A property I am considering has an external bowed wall. Looks bad and brick is coming out. HOWEVER except this issue the property has a lot of potential and generates positive cash flow with only 10% down! The question is should I investigate further whether the brick coming out is the only reason for the bowed wall (and if this is the case not a big deal as brick is there cosmetically) or if the internal wood frame/wall itself is damaged which is a very serious problem and would be a reaosn to run away from this property? House is 107 years old. THANKS.

GarthChapman

Registered
You should get a professional Property Inspection done on this house. That will answer this question and also should tell you all you need to know about the physical condition of the building. This is especially important with a house of this age.
Hope that helps,

Nir

REIN Member
Hello Garth, your help is highly appreciated not only on this topic but previous questions you thoroughly answerred as well. I alread had a thorough inspection done by a ceritified inspector. He raised this and many other minor issues. However he could not say 100% what the condition of the wood frame is as "it is not visible" but did say he does not suspect it is the wood frame but rather the brick itself. The reason I posted the question here is becasue he was not 100% sure about the wall itslef. i am just not sure what and if I should do something to be 100% sure what is going on. The reaosn I wanted to know 100% is if the wall itself is damaged - it will be the mistake of my life to buy (well maybe except my ex). Unless you have any other advice my plan is to have a competent mason assess the situation (this is also my home inspector`s advice). Happy new year!

GarthChapman

Registered
I think your assessment by a Mason plan makes good sense. Here`s hoping the result is favourable.

samwei

Registered
QUOTE (investmart @ Dec 25 2007, 10:51 PM) A property I am considering has an external bowed wall. Looks bad and brick is coming out. HOWEVER except this issue the property has a lot of potential and generates positive cash flow with only 10% down! The question is should I investigate further whether the brick coming out is the only reason for the bowed wall (and if this is the case not a big deal as brick is there cosmetically) or if the internal wood frame/wall itself is damaged which is a very serious problem and would be a reaosn to run away from this property? House is 107 years old. THANKS.

You should be hiring a Profession Home Inspector to do the examination for you, but you should specify to the Inspection company that the Home Inspector should have an Engineering background as well.

gwasser

Registered
If not knowing for sure what causes the bowed wall and that there is a real possibility you`re making the biggest mistake of your life, you should ask yourself: "Are you investing or are you gambling?"

Top Bottom