Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

illegal suite vs non-conforming

MILLC

Registered
We have a nice suited house in pleasantview south of the university in edmonton in a R1 zoned area. it has a seperate entrance, nice big windows, only one furnace, no seperate meters, etc.

It flows cash (monthly rent approx 2100/ mo.) but we are debating selling because of the illegal suite etc. We want to "DO THINGS RIGHT" and do not want to get stuck with a house that we cannot rent fully because we have had to remove the suite, but....... it makes us great money.

What is the difference between illegal and non-conforming, what do I need to to make it legal, can I make it legal in R1 (I know the answer)

We want to move on with this property, we have been deating the zoning/ illegal suite situation for too long....any advice or opinions would be great.

Thanx

brentdavies

Registered
Replied on the other post, before reading this post.

If the property meets the housing standards, and it just a zoning issue, then run with the suite for as long as you can. The fine for having a improperly zoned basement is usually a warning first, then a follow up.

But the fines for window too small is very large. Especially if someone dies in the unit.

Sad comment is the price of the property with a basement suite, legal or otherwise is not much different than a home without a suite in your neighborhood.

Nir

REIN Member
QUOTE (MILLC @ Mar 21 2010, 12:07 PM) What is the difference between illegal and non-conforming?
I think what you meant to ask is "What is the difference between illegal and legal non-conforming?
legal non conforming is LEGAL to rent out! illegal is not legal!
the first sends you to the bank, the second to jail.
Regards,
N.

Top Bottom