Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Mortgage lending from Ontario to other province

llee

Registered
Hi,

I live in Ontario. If I want to to lend out RRSP or non-RRSP to a borrower in another province (for example, Alberta) as a private deal, do I need to go through a mortgage broker?

If so, does the mortgage broker have to be in Ontario, or can it be other province (ie, Alberta)?

Thanks.

MonteDobson

Registered
QUOTE (llee @ Apr 27 2010, 04:05 PM) Hi,

I live in Ontario. If I want to to lend out RRSP or non-RRSP to a borrower in another province (for example, Alberta) as a private deal, do I need to go through a mortgage broker?

If so, does the mortgage broker have to be in Ontario, or can it be other province (ie, Alberta)?

Thanks.
No you do not need a mortgage broker, but you will need a lawyer in the province where the property is located to draft up the mortgage documentation. They will then send the stack of documents to you to sign in front of a Notary Public/Lawyer in your own province.

MikeMcCrae

Registered
Monte is right. You can do it yourself, but have every one use their own lawyer and they should be in the province where the property is.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (llee @ Apr 27 2010, 03:05 PM) If I want to to lend out RRSP or non-RRSP to a borrower in another province (for example, Alberta) as a private deal, do I need to go through a mortgage broker?
why ?

You need a legal agreement and a lawyer capable of doing the mortgage paperwork and getting the money out of your RRSP into the borrower`s hand. This takes a few weeks usually.

To do that, you first have to have a trustee (such as CWT or B2B or OlympiaTrust) administer your RRSP. This take a month or 2 to get money from another institution to these RRSP that allow mortgages in your RRSP.

Be aware of fees:

There are trustee account opening/setup fees of about $200-$300 .. plus legal fees .. say $1000 .. and then there is an ongoing account maintenance (maybe $100 to $200) and mortgage admin fee (maybe $125 to $200/year) .. so this makes sense usually only on amounts over $20,000 or more .. as $400/year in fees is 2% of $20,000 !

Top Bottom