Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Most Bizarre Case - Person Entered my Vacant Unit Without Permission

Nir

REIN Member
Hi All,

I have a vacant unit in a Plex I plan to renovate and rent out shortly.

A couple days ago someone moved his stuff in and started living there without permission and without signing any lease with me.
(the tenants who left a month ago apparently gave him the key)

Should I ask him to move out within say 24 hours and then if he doesn`t just bring

a truck, remove his stuff and change the lock?

Is the above legal? also, is there a more recommended/human way to deal with him?

THANKS.

Flea

Registered
Sounds like this person is trespassing. You could threaten to call police and have him charged with said offense if he does not leave immediately.

thejules

REIN Member
CALL THE POLICE & GET THEM OUT OF THERE! IT IS BREAK & ENTER!

housedoc

Registered
QUOTE (investmart @ Mar 5 2010, 08:57 PM) Hi All,
I have a vacant unit in a Plex I plan to renovate and rent out shortly.

A couple days ago someone moved his stuff in and started living there without permission and without signing any lease with me.
(the tenants who left a month ago apparently gave him the key)

Should I ask him to move out within say 24 hours and then if he doesn`t just bring

a truck, throw his stuff to the garbage and change the lock?

Is the above legal? also, is there a more recommended/human way to deal with him?

THANKS.
It is NOT break and enter if he has a key.
You should TELL him he has to move out because the unit is being renovated.
He may disagree.
Is he offering any rent?
If he is playing the sytem, it may be a while before you renovate that unit.
If you remove his belongings and change the lock, you are a bad guy

invst4profit

Registered
I would call the police informing them you have a trespasser and change the locks immediately. Assuming of course that you have all paperwork in order regarding the previous tenant terminating his lease. If your paper work is not in order you will have to serve your new potential tenant with eviction papers asap and go through the LTB to evict.

If he wants to stay tell him he must sigh a lease and make sure you triple the rent.

Nir

REIN Member
Thank you everyone for the Great advice!

Hi Greg, you mentioned you would change the locks. what would you do with his belongings then? TX.

invst4profit

Registered
It depends.

You should have already confronted your squatter to get his side of the story to prepare yourself for the police.

You should attempt to involve the police with the squatter present. Insist on pressing trespassing charges. With luck your squatter will agree to vacate.

Do you have a letter from your previous tenant or a N9 from them terminating there tenancy. Did you file a L3 with the LTB.

Assuming as I said that you have documentation terminating the former tenancy you could leave the belongings inside the apartment with a note on the door explaining that if you do not hear from them within 48 hrs you will be disposing of there belongings. If you do not hear from the individual within 48 hrs do with it as you please.

If it were me, assuming you have documentation, I would by pass all of the above, toss his belongings on the curb, change the locks, watch the stuff until he shows up then sit back and wait.

thejules

REIN Member
This is illegal to just move into a unit without permission & it is called breaking and entering. Call the police before this person is deemed to be your tenant. Hey House Doc: Are you in the business of provding free housing too?

Nir

REIN Member
Hi Greg and Jules,

Yes I have all the forms from the previous tenant. no doubt that legally it is an easy case.

Greg, I appreciate your feedback. however in this case I like Jules approach of just contacting the police if the tenant does not leave within 24 hours.

One question though: how about offering the person who is illegally living there $100 or $200 just to leave the unit ON TIME and CLEAN?

Yes, he is a criminal but think about it business-wise: by paying him I reduce probability of issues such as vandalism! thoughts?

THANKS.

invst4profit

Registered
Do not count on the police getting involved if the individual is allowed to stay in the unit. The police will likely say it is a LL/tenant issue and walk away. You will have to be extremely forceful in demanding they charge the trespassers and may still get nowhere. If they do walk away you will be in a worse position than you are now. If you then force the individual onto the street you already know how the police will respond to that situation. I believe it is time for you to muster some courage and do what needs to be done or except the fact that you will have to go to the board to evict. You better hope he doesn`t offer to pay the rent once you get to the board.

My opinion is you should put his belongings on the street and take your chances as that is looking much better than any other option.
When the police show up you can then attempt to have him charged with trespassing.
Remember possession is 9/10 of the law and right now he has that 9/10.

As far as paying trespasser`s to vacate your own property is concerned any LL that would do that is doing so because they are incapable of managing there own business. It is a clear indication that they do not have what is required to do what is required without begging. Offer $100 and they will demand $1000.

Expect a string of squatters to move in after you reward this one for being nice enough to break into your place.

Nir

REIN Member
Thanks Greg, I will keep you updated on this one..

Here is my plan:

I told him he must remove his stuff and leave unit clean by EOD Monday.

I will be there on Tuesday and do the following:

- contact the police if his stuff is still there
- change the lock if his stuff has been removed.

Regards,
Neil

Pheenix

REIN Member
Hi Neil
I would put myself in the hardnose camp here, assuming you inspected the unit after it was vacated (was empty). If you did and it was, there could not have been an invitation, therefore this person is trespassing, in my opinion. Regardless of this person having the key, which presumably should have been accounted for and surrendered at the time of vacating by the tenant (unauthorized copy? - reason enough for a `key control` approach).

(Begs the question of whether you have a basis for a claim against the former tenant, especially if damage or lost income arises - ask a lawyer).

If this person occupied prior to the tenant leaving, or you can`t demonstrate it was empty, you may have a different situation - out of my realm of knowledge or experience, and most of the following can`t be applied. It becomes an improper transfer or sublet or some such thing, I would think.

If I understood what you told us here; upon discovery of this person you informed them that they did not have any right to be there, that they were to leave immediately, with all belongings, and that you would be coming back to ensure they had complied.

In my limited knowledge of the law, in most situations where you give people a timeline in which to comply with something like this it will be deemed that you have given them permission to carry on doing whatever they are doing, at least for that period. You will have legitimized their occupancy, in this case. Then it becomes a battle over the length of time, reasonable extensions, notice, etc. Similar with NSF cheques, if you give them time to replace it then you have in effect granted credit, always make your request for immediate replacement - you can be a little
more lax (read vague) on your follow through.

I like the suggestions of contacting the police and suggest you arrange that they meet you at the complex, as a trespass, without going into a lot of details, if they will attend. Similarly put a security firm on short notice. I would not leave the squatter alone if you manage to get their agreement to leave - immediately
(if they say it will take some time to complete just respond - `then please get started`) Their alternatives are not your problem - suggest self storage and a motel, if they don`t have money for that how were they going to pay you!

You could ask the police to wait down the hall or outside to give you some time to assess the degree of compliance, or if it can be done discretely, without direct contact - do it before you call them. Don`t wait until Tuesday, unless you have to, and try and give yourself the day for the process.

I would not take this person as a tenant, they have demonstrated that they are not truly suitable. This is not a case where they accidently moved into the unit across the hall from where you had agreed for them to be, or some such thing. They did not call before hand, didn`t offer to sign an lease and then shower you with cash when you appeared, etc. In all likelihood they know the system and you are about to enter into a battle - arm yourself accordingly.

Take a camera, and a witness with you. Photograph and inspect everything, all the walls and ceilings, windows doors, closets, even inside the toilet tanks and flush, run all faucets and appliances, to ensure proper operation, take all your checklists and do more.

Better to assume and prepare for the worst and be pleasantly or even midly surprised.

If you are somehow forced into the situation of their continued occupancy, get whatever money you can, - and look to the advice of others, regarding a short term lease etc, and/or starting the eviction process. Inspect thereafter, as often as is reasonable under the Act.

All easier said than done. Good luck, Brad

Nir

REIN Member
Thanks Brad for the additional comments.

Good news:

The person left by the deadline (on Monday), removed all his stuff and left the apartment in the same condition he found it when trespassing.
lock was obviously changed!

Thank You Everyone!
Neil

Top Bottom