My pants are still wet

gwasser

Registered
Don Campbell talked last night in Calgary about investing when things are down. He asked who bought stocks and real estate in 2008.

Proudly I put up my arm. And I realized how fast my net worth is recovering. I am again close to the old net worth peak and... the best is still to come.

Then Don told us he bought too and that this was not an easy thing to do with all the `chickenlittles` proclaiming around you that this time the world is surely coming to an end. He was doing in his pants.

I would like to tell you with me it was the same. It is not that you have to be a genius to win in investing. But you need a darn strong stomach or better a strong bladder. I think that is the difference between a successfull investor and someone that is not. You not only can reason out why the thing you buy is cheap, but you must also be able to handle the butterflies in your stomach and you may barely be able to control your bladder. Because any investor knows he/she makes mistakes. Maybe you overlooked something that was so obvious, anyone but you could see it. So, you invest and you do in your pants big time. My pants are not yet dry - but I am proud to have taken the plunge and I will likely enjoy the profits for years to come.

But I know I am not all knowing. I made too many mistakes not to admit that I don`t know it all. But I also know that if investing was so easy and that if you could invest succesfully with dry pants, everybody would be a millionaire. So... I am proud of my wet smelly pants, my badge of courage.... and of luck!

Rickson9

Registered
I have to agree.

Investing well is not particularly interesting; all you need is grade 6 math (if that), but more importantly you need to be able to buy when others aren`t. The second is harder to do than most individuals have experienced.

bizaro86

Registered
QUOTE (Rickson9 @ Mar 11 2010, 10:43 PM) Investing well is not particularly interesting; all you need is grade 6 math (if that), but more importantly you need to be able to buy when others aren`t. The second is harder to do than most individuals have experienced.

I have an engineering degree. I can do calculus, and differential equations, and all sorts of advanced mathematics. I`ve never used any of that in investing.

I have screwed up enough courage to buy when the papers were saying it was the end of the world, which they never covered in school. But it was worth it!

Michael