Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

New stress test really testing local housing markets in Canada in February

Tina Myrvang

Client Care Lead
Staff member
REIN Member
We have just released our latest housing commentary entitled "New stress test really testing local housing markets in Canada in February".

Highlights of the report:

The notion that the new stress test for uninsured mortgages would slow down Canada’s housing market is getting more and more currency. After a sharp drop in January, home resale activity was weak again in February. And not just in Toronto and Vancouver. Statistics released by local real estate boards in the past few days suggest that it was a cross-Canada affair just like in January. Calgary sales plunged 18% from a year ago. Ditto in Victoria where the drop was 19%. Ottawa—which has been on a significant upswing during 2017—saw sales decline by more than 2%. Montreal recorded a 5% year-over-year gain in February but this constituted a sharp moderation from a 13% rise in January. It implies a second-straight month-to-month decline on a seasonally-adjusted basis. In most cases, price trends remain intact although there’s likely been some erosion in sellers’ bargaining position at the margin.

Link to the full report

To view, print and download the new report, click on the following link:

http://www.rbc.com/economics/economic-reports/pdf/canadian-housing/TREB_REBGV_results_feb2018.pdf

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Too early to tell true impact as winter is unusually cold.

Yet, the “middle class” is allegedly helped by this ?

Landlords rejoice as more rental demand due to more difficult qualification for more people.

Sent from my iPhone using myREINspace

kfort

Registered
It’s true, the only people shopping in -30 & 12” of snow are ~1% of investors. I dare say the last 10 days in SK were like hitting the pause button! Can’t even imagine what Winnipeg was like.

Novice

New Forum Member
Registered
It’s true, the only people shopping in -30 & 12” of snow are ~1% of investors. I dare say the last 10 days in SK were like hitting the pause button! Can’t even imagine what Winnipeg was like.

There is nothing like house hunting in Fort Mac :)) -40

Sent from my LG-H831 using myREINspace mobile app

Top Bottom