Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Pitbull Attacked small child- are there any implications?

MiguelMartinez

Registered
There was an article today in the newspaper where a child was bitten by her parent`s pitbull and she had 25 stiches to her face. I was very shocked as just 2 weeks ago We interviewed a family who wanted to rent one of our houses and they had a pitbull. We decided not to rent to them as there was another family who fit our system a bit better.
I know we talk about tenants with pets and for the most part everything goes fine. My question is this: Is there any liability to the landlord if a tenant`s pet does harm to someone else? what precautions can we take to prevent things like this?
Thanks for your replies.

vandriani

REIN Member
QUOTE (MiguelMartinez @ Dec 12 2007, 07:08 PM) There was an article today in the newspaper where a child was bitten by her parent`s pitbull and she had 25 stiches to her face. I was very shocked as just 2 weeks ago We interviewed a family who wanted to rent one of our houses and they had a pitbull. We decided not to rent to them as there was another family who fit our system a bit better.
I know we talk about tenants with pets and for the most part everything goes fine. My question is this: Is there any liability to the landlord if a tenant`s pet does harm to someone else? what precautions can we take to prevent things like this?
Thanks for your replies.

On a side note, we have rented to people with pets. We have found that if there are more than 1 rental suite on the property that pets do cause a problem. Therefore, we will/do not rent to people with pets in such a situation.

Very good question though. I`m curious to hear the answer

2HoundsHomeStaging

Registered
QUOTE (MiguelMartinez @ Dec 12 2007, 10:08 PM) Is there any liability to the landlord if a tenant`s pet does harm to someone else? what precautions can we take to prevent things like this?

Hi Miguel, you should consult with a lawyer but I can give you what I`ve learned.

I grew up around pit bulls, police dogs and guard dogs so it has always been in my best interest as well as my dogs and the general public to know the laws, however, I`m in Ontario...and I forgot to check where you reside!

In Ontario:[list type=decimal][*]If you have a fence around your rental property it must be in good repair. If a dog escapes through a hole you failed to fix you could be sued.[*]You can not ask nor turn down a tenant with a pet, including a pit bull, it is against the law provincially.If your tenant is known to have a pitbull the police have the right to enter the property without a warrant if they suspect it could be dangerous.[/list type=decimal]Dane

ahomeforrent

Registered
Hi Miguel,

You may also want to check out your insurance policy. We were told by our insurance provider here in Alberta that they will not insure our properties if the tenant had a breed of dog such as a pit bull.

Brad

MiguelMartinez

Registered
Thanks for your input folks, I guess there is always lots to learn in this business. Dane, I had no clue about the dog laws, I really appreciate your input. I will certainly take all your advice into consideration.
Best regards,

Top Bottom