Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Vendor Financing Capital Gain Deferal

dannielsen

Registered
Hi all,

I have an opportunity to buy a 4-Plex using some vendor financing.

Here is the situation keeping the numbers easy to use. Value is 400,000 and the vendor is willing to loan me the 20% ($100,000)

Q- assuming that I and the property qualify, which banks would be willing to look at financing this deal where I don’t put any of my own money into it.

Q- how does the vendor defer his capital gains on this sale if we set up the vendor take back with a 5 year term and the full 100,000 is payable at the end of the term in a one lump payment. Does the vendor get to defer the entire capital gain until he receives the full funds at the end of 5 years or does he just defer 100,000 worth of capital gain.

Thanks so much for your help.

Dan Nielsen

jseib

Registered
The vendor would deffer capital gains on the VTB loan amount but not the full selling price... At least until he is paid, so if it`s an interest only VTB loan then he would deffer for the full 5 years..

Can`t speak for all banks but every bank I`ve dealt with has wanted some "skin in the game" even with VTB...

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (dannielsen @ Feb 26 2010, 01:37 PM) ...
Q- assuming that I and the property qualify, which banks would be willing to look at financing this deal where I don’t put any of my own money into it.
none

unless it is a private lender at 10% + interest rate !

QUOTE (dannielsen @ Feb 26 2010, 01:37 PM) ...

Q- how does the vendor defer his capital gains on this sale if we set up the vendor take back with a 5 year term and the full 100,000 is payable at the end of the term in a one lump payment. Does the vendor get to defer the entire capital gain until he receives the full funds at the end of 5 years or does he just defer 100,000 worth of capital gain.
he pays taxes on his first 300K - cost for the year plus taxes on 100K in 5 years

Top Bottom