Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

What was she thinking? funny story

koop

Registered
My basement tenant wants to move out and they have already found a place, they called me on Saturday and gave me the notice and asked if they should place an ad and show the suite. Since it was in the contract that they have to give me 2 months notice I allowed them to do it.

On Tuesday I talked to the tenant and she told me that she had shown it to atleast one person and was showing it again. The girl she showed it to wanted to move in with her grandmother who is in the hospital right now because SHE FELL DOWN THE STAIRS. My tenant still gave her my number. Yesterday I had two appointments to meet perspective tenants, and this girl called me to see if she could meet with us too, when I asked where I should meet them she clued me off to the fact that she was the one with the grandmother in the hospital. I don`t know if I should have been so blunt, but I just told her that she wasn`t going to get the suite.

Both my wife and my tenant just get livid when they hear that she wanted to move a old women who will just be out of the hospital from a fall down the stairs which resualted in a broken arm and I think she said hip? Into a basement suite which has fairly steep stairs.

I I I

terri

Registered
why is your tenant placing the ad and showing the apt and not you? Is it because you live out of town? You should still be the one creating and placing the ad and pre-screening tenants before they even see the apt.

If you are too busy to do put an ad online yourself, then hire a qualified property manager to do it, but advertising an apt for rent should be treated in a professional manner and unless your tenant is a professional property manager you shouldn`t be leaving it up to them to do the job.

I`m sorry if this sounds rude, I don`t mean to. It just surprises me with all the great advice REIN gives on pro-active landlording. Getting the right tenant into your property can have a huge impact on your business because the wrong tenant can cost you a lot of headaches and money. You only get 1 chance to make a good first impression on a new potential tenant and by allowing your current tenant to place the ad and field the calls and show the apt, you give the impression that you do not take landlording seriously and as a potential new tenant, I would worry how well they would deal with other issues when they arose.

terri

koop

Registered
Point taken,

I did find that this worked very well for me, maybe it will be only this time, but it has saved me alot of time and some money. I live 20minutes away, so driving in to show the suite is a pain, and I did it a lot last time. I wouldn`t have even placed an add yet if I had to do it all, so now I have a new tenant in and I heard about the people who came to look and there are things they would say to the tenant that they wouldn`t have said in front of me. But my old tenant was more of the "pre-screener" I still went and met the perspective tenants at their currant rentals.

Top Bottom