Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Your Opportunity To Ask a Question To One Of Canada`s Leading Economists

• Thread starter RussellWestcott
  • Start date
R

RussellWestcott

A REIN™-Exclusive Economic Forecast from a World-Class Economist
Here at REIN™, one of our fundamental philosophies is this:

"Be a real estate INVESTOR...not a real estate GUESSER!"

And having up-to-the-minute economic information is a crucial part of that. At the Toronto Implementation Meeting on November 16, you`ll hear from Carl Gomez, VP of Research at Bentall Capital. Carl is a nationally-recognized economist with over a decade of experience analyzing and researching Canadian real estate market, not to mention a trusted resource for media outlets across the country.

This is your opportunity to ask Carl a question.

This Friday November 5th, I`ll be interviewing Carl on a recorded teleconference. You can help build the agenda for that interview. During the recorded interviews we can get into more details and explore even more insights into the Canadian economy and the Canadian Real Estate market.

Submit your questions on this thread
, and I`ll compile all the questions and make sure we address them with Carl.

The deadline for question submission will be this Friday morning
. After the call is completed and recorded I`ll post the audio file on this thread for all to enjoy and benefit from.

I look forward to reading your questions, and asking the tough questions to one of Canada`s leading economists.

housingrental

Registered
What will the percentage change of the average price of resale homes in the city of Waterloo be for 2011?

R

RussellWestcott

Thanks Adam,

117 views and only one question. I`m sure you have something on your mind you would like to ask the person who used to write the housing affordability report.

There`s got to be something on your mind regarding the housing market economics ... interest rates, job growth... anything you like to ask of someone who`s job is to research the economy and provide directional advice to an organization with over $17.6 Billion dollars of assets.

I know the list of question I want to ask Carl is growing... but what do you want to know?

JohnS

Registered
Seeing as how you`re not getting flooded with questions, I have one. It`s more to satisfy my curiousity than for anything serious, but why does he think they still base the Housing Affordability Index on 25% down and over 25 years? Don`t most people do 20% down now (or less), and over a longer period of time?

Have a good one, all!

JohnS

bizaro86

Registered
How will the Quantitative Easing in the US affect us here in Canada? Especially with regards to inflation and interest rates.

Thanks!

Michael

R

RussellWestcott

QUOTE (JohnS @ Nov 4 2010, 01:25 AM) Seeing as how you`re not getting flooded with questions, I have one. It`s more to satisfy my curiousity than for anything serious, but why does he think they still base the Housing Affordability Index on 25% down and over 25 years? Don`t most people do 20% down now (or less), and over a longer period of time?

Have a good one, all!

JohnS

Thanks John, great question... look forward to hearing Carl`s opinion on this and if he was still producing the report if he would recommend the change

QUOTE (bizaro86 @ Nov 4 2010, 06:58 AM) How will the Quantitative Easing in the US affect us here in Canada? Especially with regards to inflation and interest rates.

Thanks!

Michael

Great one Michael, I have a line of questions about the US economy and how it will impact Canada... did not think of this one, will add it to the list.

Still more time to submit your question... what`s on your mind?

Pheenix

REIN Member
[list type=decimal][*]Given the old adage that `when the US sneezes Canada catches a cold`, and the clear difference in economic performance during the recent financial crisis -

What comparative structrural changes have occurred in the Canadian economy vis a vis the US, over the past 2 or 3 decades to make this a less accurate prognosis than in the past, or is this strictly a case of greater primary resource demand from the BrIC, and therefore is the Loonie to be regarded as a `petro` or `commodity currency`, (or are we just on that typical 3-5 year delay pattern to the states)?

If the former, are the resulting advantages sustainable and if the latter, what are some of the longer term implications for domestic inflation, purchasing power parity with the US, and inter-provincial migration patterns.

Given the combination of the rather dramatic re-alignment of the US/Canadian dollar exchange rate, free-trade, massive unemployemnt in the US, and `the right to work` approach of many states -

What is the medium term impact expected to be, in terms of Canadian job creation and overall employment, especially in secondary, but also the tertiary, sectors? What areas or regions are going to be most effected and how?[/list type=decimal]

Thanks for this opportunity Russell

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
What is the true erosion of purchasing power i.e. true inflation (or deflation) right now .. taking into account true purchasing power that includes everything people buy such as: gasoline, vacations, rents, bread .. etc. .. and not the "core inflation" used by governments that has a lot of exclusions ..

www.shadowstats.com pegs it at around 5-6% per year for well over 5 decades .. far above official government touted 2% "core inflation" ! While it dropped below 0 in 2009 .. even today it is above 4% again while governments state "1-2%" only ..

What gives ?

What is the true erosion of monetary purchase power .. and thus: increase in asset value of homes or condos in a normal economy like Canada ?

In this post here it shows a 50 year chart on Calgary homes prices .. averaging 5.8% per year for 50 years .. very much in line with www.shadowstats.com !!!

50 Year house price view: http://myreinspace.com/rein_members_only/Members-Only_Discussion/81-6621-50_Year_Calgary_House_Price_View.html

R

RussellWestcott

Excellent stuff... great questions
Adding them to the list, hopefully I`ll do them justice when asking them of Carl.

Ontario REIN™ members make sure you`re out in person for this coming meeting November 16th, it will be a full house and make sure you can come and talk to Carl in person.

One final note, if you are not yet a REIN™ member and you would like to come to this meeting. I am just confirming with our event planner if we will have some extra seats available... should know sometime next week if there will be seats available... stay tuned.

Any final questions?

wgraham

REIN Member
What do you see the Alberta Job market doing over the next 5 years?

wkarl

Registered
QUOTE (RussellWestcott @ Nov 4 2010, 11:59 AM) Excellent stuff... great questions
Adding them to the list, hopefully I`ll do them justice when asking them of Carl.

Ontario REIN™ members make sure you out in person for this coming meeting November 16th, it will be a full house and make sure you can come and talk to Carl in person.

One final note, if you are not yet a REIN™ member and you would like to come to this meeting. I am just confirming with our event planner if we will have some extra seats available... should know sometime next week if there will be seats available... stay tuned.

Any final questions?

Hi Russell,
I have a question, and I hope it`s `global` enough to be relevant for the discussion with Carl.
First, I`m not completely up to speed on what the tax and immigration rules and regulations are for foreigners buying property in Canada, like there are when Canadians want to buy property in the US, Mexico, etc.
"Real estate tourism" seems to be growing in popularity, with planeloads of investors from Asia and other locales touring Toronto and other cities, with the intent to buy investment properties, given how comparatively cheap they are vis-a-vis properties in China, for example.
What is the risk to the Canadian real estate market from such activity? For example, ReMax this week said the "vast majority" of new investment condo purchases in downtown Toronto are by Asian and Middle Eastern investors, who are buying them as a long-term hold. And, most are paying cash for their units.
I`m just not sure if this is a good or bad thing...? Are there risks for the market, as in prices rising or kept artificially high because of foreign ownership (to whom the prices are low)?
I hope you think this is worth exploring.
Thanks,
Wayne Karl

R

RussellWestcott

excellent stuff... it looks like Carl is following this thread too.

I received this email note from Carl today

"HI Russell

Great questions - looking forward to tomorrow

Cheers
Carl"

Last chance for some questions

FraserCampbell

Registered
Hopefully not too late ...

Canada appears relatively unscathed by the recession at this point. Probably a default question but where do you see the Canadian economy heading in next 3-5 years, especially if there is a "double dip" (or continued freefall?) in the U.S. economy? Can Canada`s economy grow in-spite of U.S. conditions?

Where do you primarly see Canadian job-growth occurring or do you expect job-growth? Are there any particular sectors set for boom or bust?

How long do you expect low interest rate environment to persist?

Thanks,
Fraser

TonyMandrique

Registered
QUOTE (RussellWestcott @ Nov 4 2010, 05:00 PM) excellent stuff... it looks like Carl is following this thread too.

I received this email note from Carl today

"HI Russell

Great questions - looking forward to tomorrow

Cheers
Carl"

Last chance for some questions

Hi Russell,

I want to ask Carl:
What is Canada’s prospect for job growth and immigration in the next 3-5 years?

Thank you.

TonyM

R

RussellWestcott

Outstanding stuff... Just putting the final touches on the agenda for Carl.

Stay tuned to this thread I`ll post the interview once it is completed. Should be some time early next week

bookmark this discussion thread!

gwasser

Registered
QUOTE (RussellWestcott @ Nov 5 2010, 10:23 AM) Outstanding stuff... Just putting the final touches on the agenda for Carl.

Stay tuned to this thread I`ll post the interview once it is completed. Should be some time early next week

bookmark this discussion thread!

I have a question that is bugging me. Considering the low population density of Canada`s economic powerhouse Alberta, do you have an estimate about how many Albertans we will have 5 and 10 years from now?

(Not too late I hope).

LAndersen

Registered
What affect do you see the current US situation having on Canadian commodities if hyperinflation does happen?

Also, where do you see the US demand for oil in 5 years and do you think that the government down there really has the ability to turn down our stable and clean energy when they can`t get it from anywhere else.

In what respect do you see commodities being repriced for a global standard since the USD is being devalued so much and will be this way for the foreseeable future and how will this affect our commodities?

What affect do you see the relatively cheap money in Canada having on Canadians going forward? We keep hearing about how much debt we are carrying but everyone seems to keep going out shopping. There will come a time when the consumer must rein in their spending.

Thanks again.

R

RussellWestcott

Great questions... all the questions you mentioned we covered in our call.

Just waiting on the audio from the conference call to post online... hopefully this weekend, but most likely early next week.

Stay tuned.

All I can say is I`m glad to be a Canadian and investing in the regions that I do...

gwasser

Registered
QUOTE (RussellWestcott @ Nov 5 2010, 04:19 PM) Great questions... all the questions you mentioned we covered in our call.

Just waiting on the audio from the conference call to post online... hopefully this weekend, but most likely early next week.

Stay tuned.

All I can say is I`m glad to be a Canadian and investing in the regions that I do...

Thanks for all your work on this Russell. Can`t wait to hear the tape.

R

RussellWestcott

The audio is ready and has been posted online

Thanks for all the great questions...

You can listen (and download) the full interview from this link >>here

Enjoy

Top Bottom