Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1-bedroom rental applicants

llee

Registered
Hi,

I have 1 one-bedroom rental ($890/mo + hydro) on laminated floor (with carpet stairs), and I narrowed down to two applicants:

1) A mid-20`s couple (not married) with full-time job (admin and security guard). Combined income $3800/mo (pre-tax). They have a 10lb cat.

2) An early 20-year-old gentleman - work as a contractor (insulator). $1500 - $2500/mo income. He may have fish.

I will carry a credit check tomorrow, but assuming all other variables being equal, who would you prefer?

Thanks.

Murray_Zelinski

Registered
QUOTE (llee @ Mar 23 2009, 10:35 PM) Hi,

I have 1 one-bedroom rental ($890/mo + hydro) on laminated floor (with carpet stairs), and I narrowed down to two applicants:

1) A mid-20`s couple (not married) with full-time job (admin and security guard). Combined income $3800/mo (pre-tax). They have a 10lb cat.

2) An early 20-year-old gentleman - work as a contractor (insulator). $1500 - $2500/mo income. He may have fish.

I will carry a credit check tomorrow, but assuming all other variables being equal, who would you prefer?

Thanks.

IF credit history is equal, and employment history is verified, I would prefer the couple. They have the higher income and consitent employment. The cat, (declawed?), confirm it is allowed as per the condo bylaws.

Regards,
Murray

donksky

Registered
well if you could tell how long couple`s been together - problem is if they break up...i`d compare employment & residential stability....

NorthernAlex

Registered
I would take the couple, too. If they are already together for some time even better. You will get them both in the agreement, right?

If I hear fish, I automatically think of a fish tank with tons of water, leaking aquariums aso. As a 20 year old single the party time starts Friday 7 p.m. and such an aquarium is a party hit....

If you can, try to meet the couple at their place. Does it smell after cats? Is it tidy?

mortgageman

Registered
I`d go with the couple based on income.
Make sure you charge a non-refundable pet deposit on the cat. I generally charge between $100 and $200 depending on the pet and how much wear and tear I think it will cause.
Remember to check everybody`s references!

NorthernAlex

Registered
QUOTE (mortgageman @ Apr 7 2009, 12:57 AM) .....Make sure you charge a non-refundable pet deposit on the cat. ....

Jason, you can`t do that in Ontario! They can even lie in your face and say they don`t have a pet and bring it a day later....

EdRenkema

Registered
QUOTE (NorthernAlex @ Apr 7 2009, 05:07 AM) Jason, you can`t do that in Ontario! They can even lie in your face and say they don`t have a pet and bring it a day later....

Just charge a monthly pet fee, be upfront about it. I charge $25/pet, include it in lease, just don`t break down the costs.
In this case I would go with the older gentleman, more reliable and stable, no pets, plus he`s handy so he won`t be calling you every time the window sticks or the toilet won`t flush, etc, etc.

NorthernAlex

Registered
QUOTE (EdRenkema @ Apr 7 2009, 05:38 PM) Just charge a monthly pet fee, be upfront about it. I charge $25/pet, include it in lease, just don`t break down the costs....

Edward.
Great hint, thank you very much! If you should come to acre or the friday before- I will have to shake your hand for that.

Just received a bunch Rental Application for an apartment. Some have cats/dogs. I like one applicant, due to income and work position, but has a small dog. I will use your above mentioned approach.

What are you doing if the tenant gets a pet after
moving in (aka. not mentioning it in his application form)?

invst4profit

Registered
Assuming you allow pets you will have the addendum on every lease indicating that there is a set fee per pet.
This way, going in, they know if they get a pet there is an additional charge.

emarsig

Registered
Hello,
In Ontario, you can`t evict a tenant for having a pet as per http://www.ltb.gov.on.ca/en/Key_Informatio...L02_111483.html

A tenant can be evicted for having a pet in their unit only if:

the pet is making too much noise, damaging the unit, or causing an allergic reaction, or
the animal or species is considered to be inherently dangerous.
Even if the tenancy agreement has a ‘no pets’ rule in it, the tenant cannot be evicted just for having a pet unless the Board decides in an order that the pet is causing a problem, or that the pet is inherently dangerous.

EdRenkema

Registered
QUOTE (emarsig @ Apr 8 2009, 10:32 AM) Hello,
In Ontario, you can`t evict a tenant for having a pet as per http://www.ltb.gov.on.ca/en/Key_Informatio...L02_111483.html

Correct, which is why I`m upfront about it, I tell them I prefer no pets but that would screen out too many potential tenants so I charge a `nominal` pet fee. Then the total amount is what is indicated on the lease

invst4profit

Registered
IF

"the pet is making too much noise, damaging the unit, or causing an allergic reaction, or
the animal or species is considered to be inherently dangerous."

It is possible with some diligence on your part. I have an associate that has a system that has been successful in evicting tenants that bring in pets after the fact. As soon as they are aware the pet is there they begin a system of notifying the tenant that they wish to inspect the unit and repeat every 2 weeks. Dogs, especially, always do some type of damage. They keep records of all/any damage they find, stains, scratches on doors etc. Anything they find damaged they insist the tenant remedy the situation immediately. All this is documented.
They also talk to all neighbours. Any neighbours that say they hear barking is written down as a complaint and the tenant is notified. Within a few months they usually have enough evidence to evict and speak to the tenant about getting rid of the pet or moving. In cases where the tenant does not agree they have been successful in evicting.

The biggest problem is cats, they do not bark loud enough to bother neighbours.

llee

Registered
Just to close the thread:

I received 5 more applications the next day!! I have picked a single gentleman, no pet, no smoke, 3+ year Statscan employee. I went to his place to sign the lease and he was tidy! Hope things work out well.

It`s funny that on one application - a lady said she has no pets, and she doesn`t like dog (allegy). However, I looked at her facebook profile picture, she was hugging a big dog!!

Thanks.

NorthernAlex

Registered
QUOTE (invst4profit @ Apr 9 2009, 08:35 AM) .......The biggest problem is cats, they do not bark loud enough to bother neighbours.
Indeed, cats don`t bark
loud enough. I found evidence. Just to close the thread:

I received 5 more applications the next day!! I have picked a single gentleman, no pet, no smoke, 3+ year Statscan employee. I went to his place to sign the lease and he was tidy! Hope things work out well.

It`s funny that on one application - a lady said she has no pets, and she doesn`t like dog (allegy). However, I looked at her facebook profile picture, she was hugging a big dog!!

Thanks.
Haaa. Facebook, isnt it great and VERY dangerous. ROFL. Helped me sooo often already checking candidates.

Top Bottom