Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1 year lease mistake (?)

cozzafrenzy

Registered
So I`ve got my first place, suited bungalow with detached garage and I think things are going quite well. I will be advertising the basement by the end of next week after I have new bigger egress windows installed. I`ve signed a 1 year lease with a professional couple for both the main floor and garage and have negotiated a rent fee above my original purchase forecast. Sounds pretty good so far right?Here`s the issue... On the lease form d/l from this site, it has spaces for the address of the renter and the landlord beside the signature spaces. Now that They have their copy and I have mine, I realize that I put my physical home address on it. I`m not a paranoid person, but I do have young children at home etc. Was this a bad move? Do some of you use your personal address? If not, what do you do and what is legal? Get a PO Box address or use an email for that space?
I`m wondering if I`ve made a bad move. Your thoughts please

JimWhitelaw

Registered
Are you in the phone book? If so, the whole world has your home address anyway. I wouldn`t sweat it too much. Get yourself a po box or local mailbox service if you want, and do it differently in the future. RELAX. If this is your first investment property and that`s the only mistake you`ve made, you`re ahead of 99% of us already!

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (cozzafrenzy @ Jun 18 2010, 09:02 PM)

I'm wondering if I've made a bad move.

yes .. but don't get paranoid as risk is low ..

Consider getting a UPS store or postal office mailbox address .. perhaps in a different nearby city so it is not so apparent for renter where your home address is !

DaveRhydderch

Registered
Its pretty easy for someone to find where you live if they really want to. I wouldn`t worry too much about it.

bizaro86

Registered
QUOTE (DaveRhydderch @ Jun 19 2010, 12:22 PM)
Its pretty easy for someone to find where you live if they really want to. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

This is undoubtedly true, and I've put some effort into it a few times myself. But most people are habitually lazy, and won't put in even a modicum of effort that is not required of them, and give up quickly.

All that being said, I screen my tenants well enough that I don't mind them having my home address.

Michael

brentdavies

Registered
I have been in the business over 25 years and have never had any issues with tenants and our staff or family. I am listing in the phone book, and I do get the occasionial call at home from a tenant with a problem, and they forget the on call phone number. (cannot read the signs in the property).

The better quality of tenant helps. Skid row tenants cannot are usually too drunk or stoned to get to your place.

One of the many advantages of having a property management firm be your front line contact. But you have to learn the tenant business first.

Berubeland

Registered
If you are in Ontario you must put an address for service of documents on the lease. I would recommend using your home address in case someone actually sends you something. If you are going to be a landlord for years imagine the extra work of going and checking a PO box for years. If ever you are served legal documents you will have to respond very quickly.

So I would say you did the right thing.

cozzafrenzy

Registered
Thanks to everyone for the input. Your words and positive experiences bring me some comfort.

ontariolandlord

Registered
QUOTE (cozzafrenzy @ Jun 22 2010, 06:43 PM)
Thanks to everyone for the input. Your words and positive experiences bring me some comfort.

Never give your home address as the legal "address of service."

Unlinke Berubeland, I'm a large-scale LANDLORD, and don't just manage properties. If you provide your home address, there are many cases (which I've personally experienced) of tenants coming to your door and banging to make a scene over non-issues.

Get another address. Get a PO box. Protect yourself.

Luong98

Registered
QUOTE (Berubeland @ Jun 22 2010, 07:26 AM)
If you are in Ontario you must put an address for service of documents on the lease. I would recommend using your home address in case someone actually sends you something. If you are going to be a landlord for years imagine the extra work of going and checking a PO box for years. If ever you are served legal documents you will have to respond very quickly.

So I would say you did the right thing.

Use Canada Post redirection, smartmoves.ca to redirect all mail from your PO Box to your home.

PropertySolution

Registered
I agree, you shouldn`t worry to much. I have been doing this for over 25 years and have never had any issues with existing or past Tenants. Besides, you were comfortable with your decision to trust them with your biggest invest to date, have faith in that they aren`t the "postal" type lol

ZuzanaHaska

Registered
QUOTE (cozzafrenzy @ Jun 18 2010, 10:02 PM)
So I've got my first place, suited bungalow with detached garage and I think things are going quite well. I will be advertising the basement by the end of next week after I have new bigger egress windows installed. I've signed a 1 year lease with a professional couple for both the main floor and garage and have negotiated a rent fee above my original purchase forecast. Sounds pretty good so far right?

Here's the issue... On the lease form d/l from this site, it has spaces for the address of the renter and the landlord beside the signature spaces. Now that They have their copy and I have mine, I realize that I put my physical home address on it. I'm not a paranoid person, but I do have young children at home etc. Was this a bad move? Do some of you use your personal address? If not, what do you do and what is legal? Get a PO Box address or use an email for that space?

I'm wondering if I've made a bad move. Your thoughts please
<

According to Residential Tenancies Act ( Alberta ) you must put your home address or business address on the lease. PO box is not acceptable!

Zuzana

Top Bottom