Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

$1000 to repair minor crack in ceiling

Nir

REIN Member
Hi,
Is $1000 reasonable cost for repairing a small 5" crack in ceiling or should it cost more like $500 or less?
The work includes replace damage drywall and wet insulation as well as skim coat and paint 10`x10` ceiling.
Thanks,
Neil
ps. The cause is my stupidity - a missing $7 drip edge and therefore ice backup. will be installed shortly. the good news is that it is an easy fix and not a more serious leakage problem.

housedoc

Registered
It really depends on how much of the drywall and insulation needs to be replaced.
If it`s very localized to the "5 inch crack", then you may be lucky at ~4-$600.
However, it could be worse than it looks.
1000-1500 might get you a whole new 10x10 ceiling.

TodorYordanov

Registered
An experienced contractor will try to make 250-350 cash in labor a day. The material cost in this case is minor. $1000 seems quite much in this case. Agree that $4-600 is more accurate, but it depends on the job.

Ready4Rent

Registered
1,000 for a whole new 10 x 10 is about right. Assume 4 sheets of drywall, bucket of mud/tape/screws/insulation etc. And 4 visits. 1st to tear-down and install drywall and 1st coat of mud, 2nd visit for sand and 2nd coat of mud, 3rd for sand and third coat. And then another visit to sand and paint. If your contractor is good you can eliminate one coat of mud. And lots of cleaning in between.

Materials are minimal, time is not.

Of course if you don`t care what is looks like it can be much cheaper.

2 cents

John

Nir

REIN Member
Should he have told me how many sheets of drywall are required after seeing the damage or is it one of the "plumber items" meaning "we won`t know until we break"?
So please correct me if I`m wrong, assuming 1-2 sheets of drywall are required, he doubled the market price(!?!?) Thanks everyone.

AndyLuchies

Registered
isn`t it quicker to call up a few other contractors and explain to them? by the way, I`m an apprentice carpenter, and if it really is a minor crack in ceiling there`s no need to replace the 10x10 ceiling, unless its major water damage. I`d just cut out crack (from one ceiling joist to the next- 2 feet apart), insert new 2 foot piece, tape, sand, prime, then paint ceiling. Make sure he`s not trying to create work by replacing drywall that isn`t necessary.

Furthermore, if its just the drywall joint that`s cracking from the moisture, your drywall may be fine, you could just dig it out and retape it. if, on the other hand, the water has soaked through the drywall itself and cracked it, that`s a bigger problem.

in any event the expense is not in the labor or the materials, in this case it`s in the waiting times. Waiting for the mud to dry, waiting for the second mud coat to dry, waiting for the primer to dry, etc. its very little actual work, but a great inconvience.

realfortin

Registered
QUOTE (investmart @ Mar 17 2009, 04:09 AM) Hi,
Is $1000 reasonable cost for repairing a small 5" crack in ceiling or should it cost more like $500 or less?
The work includes replace damage drywall and wet insulation as well as skim coat and paint 10`x10` ceiling.
Thanks,
Neil
ps. The cause is my stupidity - a missing $7 drip edge and therefore ice backup. will be installed shortly. the good news is that it is an easy fix and not a more serious leakage problem.
Who is quoting you this? Is it your property manager or is it a contractor? Do you have several quotes?
RF

gregg

REIN Member
As mentioned previously, does the whole ceiling need to be replaced. I just had my maintenance (full time) guy repair a leak from a similar size hole on a roof edge for $790.00 which included two days labour, materials etc.
The job involved three ceilings and two walls, as the water traveled quite a bit - a bedroom ceiling, which also needed new tiles, primer and paint, a hallway ceiling which needed drywall repair including mudding, sanding and painting, hallway walls which also needed drywall repair and touchup plus repainting, an entrance ceiling, repair and repaint, entrance wall cleaning and paint touch up and lastly a kitchen wall paint job no primer needed on the kitchen wall.
If you can get away with touch-ups and minor repairs it might not cost you as much. I would get another estimate or two.

Greg

repair, repaint, re-establish support for the ceiling (1 X 3 inch slats) by screwing longer screwnails QUOTE (realfortin @ Mar 17 2009, 10:19 AM) Who is quoting you this? Is it your property manager or is it a contractor? Do you have several quotes?
RF

I

IanSzabo

Great Points
But let`s look closer
There are many variables when Hiring a Contractor/Handy Man, and many different types
1) Handy Man, Clames to be good at many things, hopefully they are truthful with that statement.
2) Part Time Renovator Helps with friends Renovations, Is starting out in the business
3) Con Man, Convincing you to that they know what`s going on, and take your cash
4) General Contractors, Manage and oversee all trades, Meaning they look out for your best interest, Check for Mould , Water Damage, pour Insulation, 6 Mil Vapour Barrier, The right roof vents, Proper soffit venting.

There are many differant ways to look at it, your guy may be very good, Just ask the right questions, What does your quote cover?

So this goes to the next level, what is most important to you $400-$600 in your pocket. Or 5k to 10k because of mould and wood damage. You have to look at the big game, protecting your investment.

Please feel free to e-mail me about this matter, I will send you a package on Hiring a Contractor
Sincerely Ian Szabo

Top Bottom