Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

$34000 quote on interior paint job for a 2200 sf (with basement) house

Allie

Registered
My property is in need of some TLC. The above quote includes interior painting of the ceilings, walls, trim, and doors of the said property. Even though I have old and thirsty walls, $34000 is not a price I expected to hear! There are 6 bedrooms upstairs and downstairs- 4 suites in total. I would really appreciate some referrals and what range of prices you guys have paid for similar properties. I don`t think I`m being too frugal for questioning this price.

While I`m on this topic, I`ve been quoted $30,000 for a combo of discounted hardwood, laminate, and carpet to be installed. That doesn`t include old flooring removal either. Is this within the normal price range?

Can you guys please recommended a fairly priced tradesperson for painting and flooring that they have used with excellent results in Edmonton?

I would also like to know how much you guys have paid for 50 gallon water tanks and furnaces (parts and insulation) Please feel free to recommend specific models. I`ve been quoted about $3500 a water tank and $5000 for a furnace.

The quotes I`ve been getting have been somewhat disconcerting. I desperately need suggestions since my JV partner would be very upset.

Mitch Collins

Inspired Forum Member
REIN Member
Hello;

This is in my mind the most critical aspect of the 'real estate dream team'.

What we've done is hire a 'handyman' or a renovator who isn't that busy and can tackle all types of trades.

Then, assign what you want done, purchase all materials yourself and pay him by the hour for the labour.

We've set up visa accounts for our handyman to purchase supplies from, and when he charges something, the store (Home Hardware - RONA was a pain to set this up!) faxes a copy of the invoice directly to my home office with the property number and suite number.

This way you can get a contractor's discount (15-20% off the posted price) and not pay 'mark up' from a 3rd party contractor who will probably mark things up 20% or more.

Doing things this way we're able to stay in the loop of projects we're working on, get things done the way we want them, and our costs are probably 1/5th of a huge quote like that.

For example, we paint a lot of suites that are approximately 1,300 sq feet, and typically the paint and drywall supplies will cost around $300. Then we factor in approx $1,500 for labour - total job is under $2,000 and with the right handyman the job will be nearly as well as 'professional' painters.

Finding a handyman can take a while - interviewing and watching how they perform, but once you get a good one - they are absolutely the most important person to have in your dream team!!

Especially if you self manage properties like we do.

Hope that helps a little!

QUOTE (MatzoB @ Mar 18 2009, 06:30 PM)
My property is in need of some TLC. The above quote includes interior painting of the ceilings, walls, trim, and doors of the said property. $34000 is not a price I expected to hear! There are 6 bedrooms upstairs and downstairs- 4 suites in total. I would really appreciate some referrals and what range of prices you guys have paid for similar properties. I don't think I'm being too frugal for questioning this price.

While I'm on this topic, I've been quoted $30,000 for a combo of discounted hardwood, laminate, and carpet to be installed. That doesn't include old flooring removal either. Is this within the normal price range?

Can you guys please recommended a fairly priced tradesperson for painting and flooring that they have used with excellent results in Edmonton?

I would also like to know how much you guys have paid for 50 gallon water tanks and furnaces (parts and insulation) Please feel free to recommend specific models. I've been quoted about $3500 a water tank and $5000 for a furnace.

The quotes I've been getting have been somewhat disconcerting. I desperately need suggestions since my JV partner would be very upset.

wtoews

Registered
I agree with Mitch. These quotes seem rediculously high to me. We recently built our own home which has an upstairs sq/ftage of 1850 and it cost us only $6000 for the whole thing. From primer to finish.
I would look around some more , or find a handyman yourself and pay for you own materials. ( Generally way cheaper )

terri

Registered
QUOTE (MatzoB @ Mar 18 2009, 06:30 PM) My property is in need of some TLC. The above quote includes interior painting of the ceilings, walls, trim, and doors of the said property. Even though I have old and thirsty walls, $34000 is not a price I expected to hear! There are 6 bedrooms upstairs and downstairs- 4 suites in total. I would really appreciate some referrals and what range of prices you guys have paid for similar properties. I don`t think I`m being too frugal for questioning this price.

While I`m on this topic, I`ve been quoted $30,000 for a combo of discounted hardwood, laminate, and carpet to be installed. That doesn`t include old flooring removal either. Is this within the normal price range?

I would also like to know how much you guys have paid for 50 gallon water tanks and furnaces (parts and insulation) Please feel free to recommend specific models. I`ve been quoted about $3500 a water tank and $5000 for a furnace.

The quotes I`ve been getting have been somewhat disconcerting. I desperately need suggestions since my JV partner would be very upset.

I recently paid about $10,000 to have a 3 bedroom house painted, walls, ceiling, trim, doors, handrail and spindles, exterior brick, siding, railings.

I don`t know how many rooms in your place but my guess would be about $20,000 given the info stated, assuming that there is a bit of filling, caulking to do.

$34,000 does sound a little high but you would need to give more info, my suggestion would be to get another quote.

re: $30,000 for flooring you would need to give a better breakdown. hardwood is much more than laminate or carpet. what is the sq ft price for each?

Mitch Collins

Inspired Forum Member
REIN Member
Hi again;

That $34,000 quote is insane. I`ve renovated entire houses - paint, flooring, light fixtures, landscaping, fence repairs, plumbing etc for under $10,000. This includes pulling up the old flooring, disposal, laying new underlay, laminate, trim, paint....

I would only consider a bill like that (and not even then) for a personal property that I wanted done absolutely flawlessly...how many tenants are going to treat your rental suite paint job like it`s worth 34K?

Send me a PM if you`d like more info MatzoB!

David90

Inspired Forum Member
Registered
Try calling Les at Roth`s painting 780-699-3980. They recently completed a complete repaint of my hallways and stairwells in my 12 suite apartment building. They did an excellent job. I had comparable quotes for up to 3 times his price.

It realy pays to shop around!

Allie

Registered
Thank you very much for your helpful replies. I have relayed the messages on to my general contractor and hope that it all works out. David, thanks for mentioning Les. Him and my GC remember each other from back in the day where my GC managed a paint store and Les would come in to buy paint. Small world!

daviddunville

REIN Member
Hi
I use Ye Olde Plumber for all my plumbing on my apartment buildings and my contractors names are Charlie and Gary jack of all trades call them at 780-953-0486 tell them you got there number from a fellow Rein member David Dunville Good Luck you`ll save thousands.

My property is in need of some TLC. The above quote includes interior painting of the ceilings, walls, trim, and doors of the said property. Even though I have old and thirsty walls, $34000 is not a price I expected to hear! There are 6 bedrooms upstairs and downstairs- 4 suites in total. I would really appreciate some referrals and what range of prices you guys have paid for similar properties. I don`t think I`m being too frugal for questioning this price.

greghead

REIN Member
We use Avade Garde in Edmonton. They have done an excellent job for us when it comes to suiting properties. Have always been on time and on budget with fair rates. In addition, they are REIN members themselves so they understand our needs as an investor.

Their number is 780-966-4498.

Good luck,

Greg.

QUOTE (daviddunville @ Mar 21 2009, 12:16 PM)
Hi

I use Ye Olde Plumber for all my plumbing on my apartment buildings and my contractors names are Charlie and Gary jack of all trades call them at 780-953-0486 tell them you got there number from a fellow Rein member David Dunville Good Luck you'll save thousands.

My property is in need of some TLC. The above quote includes interior painting of the ceilings, walls, trim, and doors of the said property. Even though I have old and thirsty walls, $34000 is not a price I expected to hear! There are 6 bedrooms upstairs and downstairs- 4 suites in total. I would really appreciate some referrals and what range of prices you guys have paid for similar properties. I don't think I'm being too frugal for questioning this price.

While I'm on this topic, I've been quoted $30,000 for a combo of discounted hardwood, laminate, and carpet to be installed. That doesn't include old flooring removal either. Is this within the normal price range?

I would also like to know how much you guys have paid for 50 gallon water tanks and furnaces (parts and insulation) Please feel free to recommend specific models. I've been quoted about $3500 a water tank and $5000 for a furnace.

The quotes I've been getting have been somewhat disconcerting. I desperately need suggestions since my JV partner would be very upset.

dplummer

Registered
Don`t know about Edmonton but here`s a ball park for Ontario. Paint walls 0.85 cents per sq ft. (walls) Trim is 0.65 cents per LF It`s hard to tell whether your price is high/low with out knowing the square footage of wall. The square footage of flooring is also needed. Hardwood could be $10.00 plus per sq.ft depending on the type of material selected. Laminate could be $3.00 sq.ft. Carpeting some where in between. Hope that helps a little.

Doug

GrahamWhite

Registered
WANT TO DO YOUR OWN PAINTING???

Painting bedrooms, halls, living room and dining room in an 1100 sq ft 3 Bedroom townhouse after regular wear and tear should take one person about 40 hours.

Trim and doors add another day, baseboards add another day, ceilings add a day (use ONLY oil based paint for a stipple ceiling) bathrooms add half day for each, kitchen cabinets add two to three days, closets add 2 hours each.

If you are covering cigarette smoke damage you will need to add 50% - 100% more time depending on the level of smoker for the KILZ primer you will need to use in order to seal in the odor.

Even at $30/hr the labor for ALL of this should cost you only $3000 and be done in two weeks if only one person is doing the work. If you`re hiring someone new, have them do the smallest bedroom first and review their work after the first coat.

Big rooms do not take much more time than smaller rooms, but more corners and more closets add a lot more work.

LEARNING CURVE:

Painting is probably the easiest of all renovations and I have found that almost any attentive individual can do it well with very little training (half a day if being shown by someone who knows what they`re doing).

CLEANING THE WALLS:

Walls need to be cleaned with a solution of water and TSP that can be purchased at any home improvement store and then scrubbed. I recommend using rubber gloves and the big scrub pads from Home Depot, or use a BEE Mop with a scrub side and a mop side.

PATCHING HOLES

It takes about 30 minutes a room to patch small nicks, pin holes and nail holes. Big dings will take a second and maybe third coat after sanding. Use thin coats and let dry. This is one area where noticeable mistakes can be made.

Sanding takes about 30 minutes a room.

VACUUMING

Use a shop vac, this type of dust will wreck a regular vacuum. Make sure you vacuum the walls and wipe them down with water before painting.

TAPING

Remove all plug in and light switch covers and then tape all window and door frames and anything else you don`t want paint on. Tape off the baseboards if they are staying on. If you are painting your baseboards the same color as the walls (only do this in cheaper units) then you can tape off the floor.

If you are painting the baseboards and doing them another color, remove them from the wall and mark the spot where they came from and the actual baseboard with corresponding numbers (A1, A2...B1 B2 etc...) These should be painted on a saw horse or something similiar.

PRIMER

You need a coat of primer if you are doing new drywall or painting over a fairly dark color with a lighter one.

EDGING

This is the key to a good looking paint job. Ask at the paint store about the type of brush they recommend and get one that has an angle on it. Ask for a demonstration about the technique of how to feather in up against the ceiling as this is what makes the difference between a good looking job and a lousy one.

A drop cloth is great so that you don`t have to wipe up any drips on the floor.

ROLLING

Ask for recommendations for the type of roller based on your paint type and wall. Don`t go too fast when you`re rolling or you will splatter. One roller loaded with paint will do an area about 3` x 3`. Go over each section about three times to get a nice consistent smooth texture.

ADDITIONAL COATS

If you are painting with essentially the same color that is already on the walls you can get away with one coat. If it is a different color or new drywall you will need two coats. If you are painting over dark paint with light paint and you didn`t use a good primer you may need a lot of coats.

Are Upgrades Worth It?
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=5059...mp;l=0f89800393

Lermy

REIN Member
QUOTE (GrahamWhite @ Apr 27 2009, 09:56 AM) TAPING

Remove all plug in and light switch covers and then tape all window and door frames and anything else you don`t want paint on. Tape off the baseboards if they are staying on. If you are painting your baseboards the same color as the walls (only do this in cheaper units) then you can tape off the floor.

If you are painting the baseboards and doing them another color, remove them from the wall and mark the spot where they came from and the actual baseboard with corresponding numbers (A1, A2...B1 B2 etc...) These should be painted on a saw horse or something similiar.

Graham, good post.

Only thing I would say about the taping is that it takes quite a lot of extra time to tape. Also, taping often time leads to paint getting under the tape and thus the amount of touch ups increase.

Edging done carefully alleviates the need to tape. Practice edging a straight line in an inconspicuous area and in no time a novice painter should be able to edge effectively without the need to tape.

I don`t know any painters who tape as it creates more time, unless of course they`re getting paid by the hour.

Brandon

Registered
Hey Matzo, we have a contractor that works right out of our office. He is a general contractor as well as a professional painter for 10+ years. He just finished painting about a 2000 square foot house for us for $4000, and he bought all the paint. We did a full reno paint flooring, baseboards, re-paint kitchen cupboards, doors, new countertops, switches, fixtures etc. and that only cost 18,500 with him. I think you`ll be making those guys day if you accept a quote for $34,000 grand for paint thats ridiculous.

Call me at 780-885-6589 to get his name and number.

Brandon Rolheiser, B.Mgt
Realtor - Sterling Real Estate
www.premireteam.ca

Margot Watson

Registered
I have used my handyman for several renovations in Edmonton and have been very happy with the price and the results. His name is Gord from Whole Home Maintenance - as the name implies - he does just about everything - ph:780-240-2729. Just to give you some choices! Gord does work for other REIN members as well.

Also just put in some new mid-efficiency furnaces for 3100.00 each installed -Rick from M.J. Mechanical - ph: 780-910-3707. I don`t know if that is a good price or not....

Good luck,
Margot Watson

gwasser

Registered
QUOTE (MargotWatson @ Mar 8 2010, 02:37 PM) I have used my handyman for several renovations in Edmonton and have been very happy with the price and the results. His name is Gord from Whole Home Maintenance - as the name implies - he does just about everything - ph:780-240-2729. Just to give you some choices! Gord does work for other REIN members as well.

Also just put in some new mid-efficiency furnaces for 3100.00 each installed -Rick from M.J. Mechanical - ph: 780-910-3707. I don`t know if that is a good price or not....

Good luck,
Margot Watson

$34000 is not insane at all. IT IS OURAGEOUS... IT IS OUT OF THIS WORLD!
Get at least another set of quotes or two more sets.

We repainted our 1000sf house last year plus the basement. Total price under $3000. The job was done via Home Depot - not the cheapest. But they check their subcontractors for work quality and reliability. They also guarantee the work done. When the ceiling of the humid basement bathroom started to peel within the year, they redid the ceiling for free.

Of course this was in Calgary which is a lot cheaper than Edmonton he?

Hope this helps,

JimWhitelaw

Registered
MatzoB`s original post was almost a year ago. I suspect the situation has been resolved by now. Would be interested in knowing the outcome...

gwasser

Registered
QUOTE (JimWhitelaw @ Mar 8 2010, 04:07 PM) MatzoB`s original post was almost a year ago. I suspect the situation has been resolved by now. Would be interested in knowing the outcome...

Sometimes it helps to check the date of the first posting of a Topic, I guess.

christineruptash

Registered
Oops, I see this was from last March.......but we use Rolando Pedrozo from Avant Garde Renovations, excellent service if anyone else is looking for the Edmonton area 780-935-2966.
I believe he and his wife Marible won the REIN Renovator of the Year.......

Top Bottom