Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

4-plex Maintenance Tip

CalvinTruong

Registered
Hello, I am wondering how investors with 4-plex deal with snow removal, grass cutting, and common area (hallway and laundry room). I see that you can hire contractors, get tenants do it with some incentives (difficult to enforce with 4 units), or combination of the two. What is the best option for your buck? What did you find work best so far?

David8043

Inspired Forum Member
Registered
Very, very often, investors who assign maintenance to a tenant, are not happy with the low amount of maintenance that happens. This applies even if one tenant is given a reduced rent in exchange for the maintenance work. If your 4-plex is near your home, and you take pride in it, and it is the only property you have of this type, then maintain it yourself. At that size of building, it should not be too onerous. For myself, I have a 4 plex and a duplex. Both have separate entrances for each unit (no common hallways), in-suite laundry machines, and separate fenced yards. This was a deliberate decision to avoid common area maintenance.

Marnie

Frequent Forum Member
Staff member
REIN Member
In any multi-unit property I have, I hire out those services. I have tried to include it in lease agreements but either it becomes a finger-pointing game of which tenant doesn't pull their weight or it doesn't get done at all. For snow removal and lawn maintenance in particular I am happy to support someone's small business while keeping the walks free from ice and snow, and lawns trimmed which keeps tenants and pedestrians safer, and neighbours and the City happier.

Top Bottom