Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Achieved 5 year plan in 18 months

gregg

REIN Member
In April 2006 I survived a quadruple bypass, loss of job and close to broke financially. Since then I have improved my net worth by over one million dollars and purchased 20 buildings with 71 rental units using only $22,000. of my own money.

My story: Soon after I recovered from my surgery (didn`t suffer a heart attack it was inhereted cholesteral condition) and lost my job as Publisher of a magazine division for a large publishing company I decided to write a brand new five year plan which would include purchasing rental properties with the idea of buying them cheap, empty on possession as a condition and fixing them up to hold long term. I would increase the rents in order to acieve my five year financial goal and help pay for the renovations. My origninal five year plan was to purchase 17 buildings with 58 units which was my goal. As stated above I achieved much more than this in only 18 months. I purchased my first building in April 2007 (gave myself a chance to fully recover from the surgery) and haven`t looked back since. A big part of my success story was joining REIN in September of 2007.

I attented a REIN Quickstart in Edmonton in November of 2007 with the intention of learning all that REIN could throw at me and to network and meet potential JV investors. I was successful on both fronts and enjoy a great relationship with my JV partner from Vancouver. We share the positive cashflow in one of my buildings. After that I positioned myself to be in the right place at the right time and purchased a number of buildings (10 buildings worth $1,840,000.00) using the last months rents that the seller was holding. It was approximately $35,000. that he would have turned over to me on closing but rather than do that I suggested that he use $15,000. as a down payment, $10,000. for taxes for the coming year and another $10,000. for insurance. This way he would feel secure in knowing that the taxes and insurance were covered for the year. He thought it over, didn`t want to be managing properties anymore (ill health) and accepted my offer.
This purchase represented ten properties and the seller owned fifteen. After a six month`s of successful manageing of these properties he offered his other five of which I was interested in three and went on to purchase these as well. My downpayment this time was $22,000.00 for the three buildings which were worth another $477,000.00. In short I paid (out of pocket) $22,000. for $2,277,000.00 worth of rental real estate. The seller was wealthy enough to be able to finance the whole deal at 5.5% interest over five years with a 25 year ammortization and a renewal clause at prime plus one after five years. I should mention that unfortunately he is of ill health and really needed to exercise his exit strategy now. Like I said, right place right time.

I had purchased seven properties conventionally before I bought the thirteen. All properties are postive cash flowing and the vacancy rate is less than 1%. I have, over the 18 months, managed to save three months worth of taxes, insurance and utilities in reserve for emergency purposes. Through my 30 years of publishing I have never been able to accomplish what I have in only 18 months of real estate investing. My wife and I manage all the properties and have made this our full time occupation.

Thanks to REIN, Don and his team for this forum and all the hard work they do to present monthly workshops, supply a great resource and for being there for all of us to benefit from. It was through REIN that I met my jv partner and the opportunity to meet the investor I eventually bougth the 13 buildings from.

Gregg

JoefromTO

REIN Member
What a great story, grats on your success!

Seems to me you were touched by the hand of God more than once...

gregg

REIN Member
Hi Joe,

Interesting that you should say that, the seller in this case (13 buildings) is a very religious fellow who believes that God played an integral part in putting us together. Thanks for your comment.

dandoros

Registered
Congrats Gregg. What a fantastic story, almost too good to be true.

It shows, once again, that when you have a plan, when you believe in yourself, when you are committed to do whatever it takes, you can accomplish anything.

Sincerely,
Dan

invst4profit

Registered
Congratulations.

His beliefs may definitely have worked to your advantage.
I have found the same to be true in some of my business dealings.

gregg

REIN Member
Thank you for all your positive comments, if I have touched someone or inspired one person to move ahead with their lives I will be very grateful. I am looking forward to receiving my pin at the next REIN workshop in Toronto December 4th.

Gregg

ShannonMurree

REIN Member
QUOTE (gregg @ Nov 27 2008, 01:25 PM) Thank you for all your positive comments, if I have touched someone or inspired one person to move ahead with their lives I will be very grateful. I am looking forward to receiving my pin at the next REIN workshop in Toronto December 4th.

Gregg

That is truly awesome and inspirational Gregg. Excellent job and yes, though right place at the right time, opportunities presented it self and your Creativity and teachings kicked in! That is why it is so important for people not to be just spectators.

manojsingh

Registered
Hi Greg,
Is it possible that you tell us your success story of your journey before or after the meeting. I will be interested to share your success story. If you agree I propose other member also to confirm. It will take 15-20 minutes of your time but gives other member a reason to be positive. It will be a great opportunity to get motivated. Thanks

JessHunt

Registered
Thanks so much for sharing that very encouraging story, and best wishes for improved health to both you and your JV partner.

markl

Registered
Gregg that is terrific and I look forward to sharing a beverage with you after the meeting

Regards.

mortgageman

Registered
Way to go! If Don does a sequel to 51 success stories you should definitely be showcased.

GarthChapman

Registered
Wonderful story. Indeed it would make for a powerful chpter in another book should there be one. I hope to hear your tale in person some day.

GSI

REIN Member
Gregg,

Very impressive. Right place. Right time and RIGHT sets of skill and character to pull it off. Possibly divine direction played a part too, Wonderful.

Keep up the good work.

Todd-

gregg

REIN Member
I would be more than happy to spend some time discussing the details of my success with anyone who is interested before or after the next REIN meeting in Toronto - December 4th. I travel 4.5 hours to attend the meeting but I am usually there a good half hour before the doors open.

Gregg

greg12

Registered
Simply mind blowing Gregg! This was definitely not an accident. This is solid proof that there is a supreme power always at work. We call it different things, but it sure does exist. Congratulations and thank you for sharing this awe inspiring success story.

GarthChapman

Registered
YOU played the staring role, and carried the movie.

Those you thanked made a difference in your journey, but YOU did this.

montyloree

Registered
Good to know.
I`m just at the starting point of the journey.
I`m excited to hear that this is possible.

Top Bottom