Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Added Value - Lease Option Protection

BarryMcGuire

REIN Member
I strongly believe the Certificate of Independent Legal Advice (CILA) is ultra-important for the lease-option strategy. Not as important for other strategies, but very much so for lease-options.

Why? Because if there is any dispute, the tenant wants to be characterized as a buyer with those much stronger buyer`s rights. The CILA provides good (but not perfect) protection if you ever end up in court.

What`s the problem? Tenants rarely actually go see a lawyer and get the CILA signed.

What`s the answer? I`ve prepared a "Letter to Tenant" that essentially gives the CILA warnings and urges the tenant to actually get a CILA. If they don`t do it, you will have a tenant acknowledgement on your file confirming they know they`re a tenant not a buyer until the option is exercised - very useful if you end up in court. It can be difficult to get the CILA signed, but you can always get this letter signed.

The idea for this letter came out of our recent Deal-Ready Documents Focus Workshops. While we will be discussing this topic in more detail at our Focus Workshops, I thought that this short, one-page letter would be very helpful to all REIN members. The letter can easily be adapted to other strategies where Independent Legal Advice is important. (Please remember to change all of the bold & underlined type to reflect your specific deal.)

Good luck, I hope this helps!
Barry

ZanderRobertson

Registered
Barry,

Thanks again for all of your amazing work on behalf of us REIN members.

Zander

QUOTE (BarryMcGuire @ Jan 18 2010, 12:39 PM) I strongly believe the Certificate of Independent Legal Advice (CILA) is ultra-important for the lease-option strategy. Not as important for other strategies, but very much so for lease-options.

Why? Because if there is any dispute, the tenant wants to be characterized as a buyer with those much stronger buyer`s rights. The CILA provides good (but not perfect) protection if you ever end up in court.

What`s the problem? Tenants rarely actually go see a lawyer and get the CILA signed.

What`s the answer? I`ve prepared a "Letter to Tenant" that essentially gives the CILA warnings and urges the tenant to actually get a CILA. If they don`t do it, you will have a tenant acknowledgement on your file confirming they know they`re a tenant not a buyer until the option is exercised - very useful if you end up in court. It can be difficult to get the CILA signed, but you can always get this letter signed.

The idea for this letter came out of our recent Deal-Ready Documents Focus Workshops. While we will be discussing this topic in more detail at our Focus Workshops, I thought that this short, one-page letter would be very helpful to all REIN members. The letter can easily be adapted to other strategies where Independent Legal Advice is important. (Please remember to change all of the bold & underlined type to reflect your specific deal.)

Good luck, I hope this helps!
Barry

markl

Registered
Thanks Barry,

That`s a great addition to my Lease Option Documents.

Regards,

smmcguire

Registered
QUOTE (markl @ Jan 18 2010, 03:40 PM) Thanks Barry,That`s a great addition to my Lease Option Documents.Regards,
Hi Mark

We met at ALIFE in Toronto in Oct. it was great to meet you in person. I`m hoping you can help with an issue we discussed a little at that event. My Lawyer has been asking if you could provide some case numbers with the courts and/or LTB in regards to lease to own rulings. She is an "experienced" (she`s been around awhile) R.E. Lawyer and when we discuss worst case scenarios. She always says "I`ve been around long enough to know, I thought I had seen it all but I know enough to guard against that comment."

She really works hard at watching my back and has concerns with the LTO in Ontario and the Tenancy board and its view of tenants and landlords. Would you have your Lawyers name available so she could give him a call and get up to speed on these issus. Nancy said it would really reduce her learning curve and possible prevent re-inventing the wheel on this topic.

I am attaching her info so you know who I`m representd by
Nancy Cook Johnson
Burke-Robertson LLP
Barristers & Solicitors
Tel: 613-566-2060 (direct line)
Email: [email protected]
Visit our website at www. burkerobertson.com

Thanks
Steve

Top Bottom