Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Am looking at a House Deal for Debt LTO

JimSlobodzian

Registered
Hi,

Can I please get your thoughts on this quick-turn deal I`m considering:

A young couple in Airdrie have split and want to sell their house for amount owing. My Strategy: Acquire house for Debt by Agreement for Sale - Exit with Lease Option

Listed: $358,000
Owing on Mortgage: $338,000

They are half way through a 5 year mortgage at 5.9%. Monthly payment is $1800.
House Details: 2 storey, 1700 sq ft, attached garage, 3 br 2/5 bath, partially finished basement, deck, house is 6 years old.
Note: They have missed payments of $3500 on mortgage and $1,000 property taxes.

This house seems like a good candidate to acquire for the debt by way of Agreement for Sale. And since there is little/no equity it also seems like a good candidate for a Lease To Own exit strategy. (do you agree?) But what do I do with the payments/taxes they owe? (i`m worried that the bank will begin foreclosure proceedings if payments are not brought current)

- Should I ask them to bring current before the sale (assuming they can)?
- Or pay it myself as part of a lease option deposit I hope to collect?
- Or ask them to make 3 future mortgage payments in lieu of me paying this debt (assuming they would or could)?

Thoughts/advice on this deal?

Thanks!

Jim

neill

Airdrie, AB
REIN Member
Hi Jim - congrats on the find!!

If this helps, based on the payment shown, that is a tough cash-flow house without a lease-option or owner finance - hard to get more than your mtg payment for standard rent here, depending on what neighbourhood the house is in....

What is ARV?

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (JimSlobodzian @ Nov 3 2009, 09:45 PM) ..
- Should I ask them to bring current before the sale (assuming they can)?
- Or pay it myself as part of a lease option deposit I hope to collect?
- Or ask them to make 3 future mortgage payments in lieu of me paying this debt (assuming they would or could)?

you give them enough cash so they can pay that debt .. and make it a condition on your offer. Assuming it is listed they also owe the realtor about 12,000 !! Did you intend to pay them that too ?

Thus, for you: 20K cask to close .. more or less !

However, the bigger question is: is this a "deal" .. what is the street value of this ?

Can you rent this for well over $2500/month ? .. as this is your cost of mortgage + taxes + upkeep + management !

Can you lease-option this for more than 20K down ?

Also to consider:

Agreement for sale is a senior strategy !

Lease Option is a senior strategy !

Doing both at the same time is VERY SENIOR !

How many other homes do you own / how many deals have you done thus far ?

Stay away from these senior strategies until you have done 5 "normal" deals !!

neill

Airdrie, AB
REIN Member
QUOTE (ThomasBeyer @ Nov 4 2009, 09:55 AM) Can you rent this for well over $2500/month ? .. as this is your cost of mortgage + taxes + upkeep + management !

Slim probability on standard, non-optioned rent in Airdrie, esp if it is a mid 3`s house

We have a house in Sagewood, 2 years old that we get 1695/mo for today, and our friends just sold the twin house next door (we both bought on low pricing to take advantage of the equity upswing, and they rented theirs for a while and then flipped theirs last month) - theirs was listed at 344,900 (and if we had been to RLG`s course just that smidge sooner, we would have come up with a deal on that house with/for them that was truly win-win, but that is another story......)

Exit will def require something creative

Hope that helps....

N

JimSlobodzian

Registered
Thanks for the advice gentlemen, I appreciate it!

Am evaluating this deal from a "quick-turn" perspective, to exit with a Lease Option to a tenant buyer. (holding as a standard rental would not work because of 0 to negative cash flow).

No appraisal available, but original purchase price 2 1/2 years ago was $367,500.
Currently listed with Realtor, but owners claim the Realtor will let them sell on their own. (without commission? that`s the question)

Digging into the #`s on this deal, the little equity combined with cash-to-close (missed payments + commissions, etc) are making it a "pass".

Thanks for your thoughts!

Cheers,

Jim

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (JimSlobodzian @ Nov 5 2009, 10:55 AM) ..
Digging into the #`s on this deal, the little equity combined with cash-to-close (missed payments + commissions, etc) are making it a "pass".

yes .. PASS .. get more deals in your "hopper" .. 9 out of 10 likely are passes for a number of reasons ..

neill

Airdrie, AB
REIN Member
Hi Jim - what neighbourhood in Airdrie?

JimSlobodzian

Registered
QUOTE (neill @ Nov 6 2009, 08:44 AM) Hi Jim - what neighbourhood in Airdrie?

It`s on Stonegate Way.

Top Bottom