Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

An economist laments the billions wasted each year on gifts no one wants.

DragonflyProperties

Registered
Hi all,

This article is from current issue of Canadian Business magazine. It is about a Wharton Economics professor who has written a book called, "Scroogenomics: Why You Shouldn`t Buy Presents For The Holidays." I have to say I agree with the theme and prefer to give cash and/or gift certificates myself. I have been proposing my idea that we all just keep our money and buy ourselves something that we really want/need. As you might imagine, it doesn`t have a lot of supporters.

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/after_hour...118_10027_10027

Keith

QUOTE (willy @ Dec 9 2009, 05:56 PM) Sounds like a brilliant idea to me.

I`d also agree. My family has been embracing this idea for a few years now. The cold hard cash gets rid of the lost utility when you buy something the recipient doesn`t really want. As an added bonus, cash goes twice as far during the 1/2 off sales of Boxing week and early January.

That being said, there is still some immeasurable value experienced unwrapping the right surprise.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (DragonflyProperties @ Dec 9 2009, 02:22 PM) .. As you might imagine, it doesn`t have a lot of supporters.
especially among retailers ..

Top Bottom