Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

An increbily simplistic view of Canada and the world in general.

Smitty

REIN Member
I am starting this thread to provoke a discussion on getting back to the basics, or essentials of why invest in real estate, particularly Canada.Consider it also a very sincere yet polite rebuttal to Jack`s postings, that generally center around "What`s Behind the Curtain" - from a negative standpoint. I`d said it earlier, I`ll say it again, I think its great to see Jack posting references in the media to the challenges that Canada`s facing.One of my goals is to keep my life simple, so here`s a very back to basic list of the premise`s and reasons to invest, in particular real estate and in Canada in general.

1) 1st lesson ever taught to me in high school is that every economic system is founded on the reality of a scarcity of resources vs unlimited wants.
2) In reality, generally, humans consume resources as they make their lives more comfortable.
3) The world`s population is growing. Demands on resources will increase if population forecasts are correct in saying the earth`s population is on a steady track towards 9 billion over the next 100 years.
4) Only a small population live in technologically advanced societies, and/or only a small population have access
to 1st nation technologies.
5) Canada has the largest land mass vs smallest population vs resources available. Hence,we are relatively rich and wasteful (I believe #1 in the world for wasting water per capita. I digress).
6) Out of the resource rich countries, Canada`s political (notwithstanding lefty coup d`etat`s
and economic system is relatively stable, and we`re generally viewed as a peaceful country and a great place to live and raise families.
7) Our birth rate has declined, but immigration has sustained population growth.
8) India, and in particular, China, do have growing middle classes that have had a "taste" of the "American"/North American dream, and, over the long term, their demand and consumption of resources will dwarf - due to population dynamics - our demand, in time.

Therefore, growing world population, growing Canadian population, growing AB population (long term trends here) means more demand for real estate. Tensions, disparity between rich and poor, conflict, means Canada`s overall stability makes us look like a haven in the world`s eyes. Now add we are resource rich, or as Don puts it, F
ood, F
uel, F
ertilizer, means over the long haul, Canada should do well, especially if all our politicians could collectively pull their heads from their rear ends more than once-in-a-while.

Simplicity from a real estate perspective:
1) Choose your time frame. Say 1 to 40 years.
2) If its 1,2,3,4,5 years - i.e., relatively short, the shorter the time frame the more resemblance to a speculator you are. "Day Trader" mentality as REIN would put it. You are not in total control, as you are subject to the markets whims. If you bought last year, looking to flip this year, I`d say you`re toast.
3) I am guessing here - but most REIN members invested with a 5 to 10 year time frame. But what if the market takes 5-10 years to turn around (worst case scenario).
4) Then stretch your timeline, is what I say. If you followed a system, be it REIN`s, someone else`s, your own, whatever, what was your back-up plan? Every time money gets invested, do you formulate a plan whose basis is "What if I am wrong?" If you did make a plan based on that question, you`re probably doing fine.

All this market is doing to us REIN members is 2 things:
1) We now get to see whose been swimming naked when the tide has gone out, tyle="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> 2) Everyone, whether they planned for it or not, has now had their investing horizon and timeline stretched. How big a deal is that. Depends.Thomas Beyer has touched on this on another post, but again here are the absolute basics that I have tried to remember over the past several months.
1) Say you you did your best and achieved the hardest goal, as an example, buying three properties.
2) You`ll do awesome, if you have the right timeline. If you chose conventional mortgages, conventional downpayments, what happens?
A) If you want to wait 25 years, you`ll have had someone else pay off 75% of your cash flowing asset.
B) By the way, how does it feel to have a super-
cash flowing asset once the mortgage is paid off?
C) In the meantime, how much cash flow did it produce over 25 years? If you started right away with cash flow on the purchase, have their been rent increases for 25 years? What will a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment or 3 bedroom house go for in the year 2033? Did you have a sustainability fund to make through hard times and vacancies?
D) Equity - aren`t properties a hedge against inflation? Isn`t reasonable to think your property, on average, will appreciate 2%-4% a year? What will 3 properties be worth in 25 years? 10 years?

Now wait you say; "I wanted to have that happen in 10 years or less, or I don`t want or have time to wait 25 years."

Folks, its called due diligence, Gold mine scorecard, buying right, and being patient. That`s your edge and your hedge
. THANKS REIN
!

And also, the absolute magic of buying more than one property, because once you have more than one, the math really starts to work in your favor. In the example above, what if real estate only does 2%-4% a year. Will you have to wait 25 years? Not necessarily -and this is but one reason why big investors can really win. Because they have the power, flexibility, and choice to simply run the numbers on a simple spreadsheet and figure out how many x properties do I sell before 25 years to pay off y properties I keep. A little more advanced perhaps. But its simple math, in my opinion. If you have more than one property, do you really
have to wait 25 years on each property to be paid off to reap the benefits. Can you accelerate the process a bit by having more than one property? Look, some oaks grow faster than others, but they still turn into oaks, if you planted the seeds right.

I tried to say all of the above simply, not sure I really succeeded, lol.

Really, buying AB real estate and waiting as long as necessary will seem like a winner in the long run. At least to me. Don`t know if I can do what I wanted to do when, initially, I set out a 5 year goal. But really, it doesn`t matter that much if the game plan stretches out another 5 to 20 years.

You will win with real estate in this country and in this province, in my opinion. Its as close to inevitable as you can get. Just pick the right timeframe. And don`t stray from the fundamentals.

Smitty

seeu22

Registered
QUOTE (Smitty @ Dec 30 2008, 02:08 PM) I am starting this thread to provoke a discussion on getting back to the basics, or essentials of why invest in real estate, particularly Canada.Consider it also a very rebuttal to Jack`s postings, that generally center around "What`s Behind the Curtain" - from a negative standpoint. I`d said it earlier, I`ll say it again, I think its great to see Jack posting references in the media to the challenges that Canada`s facing.One of my goals is to keep my life simple, so here`s a very back to basic list of the premise`s and reasons to invest, in particular real estate and in Canada in general.

1) 1st lesson ever taught to me in high school is that every economic system is founded on the reality of a scarcity of resources vs unlimited wants.
2) In reality, generally, humans consume resources as they make their lives more comfortable.
3) The world`s population is growing. Demands on resources will increase if population forecasts are correct in saying the earth`s population is on a steady track towards 9 billion over the next 100 years.
4) Only a small population live in technologically advanced societies, and/or only a small population have access
to 1st nation technologies.
5) Canada has the largest land mass vs smallest population vs resources available. Hence,we are relatively rich and wasteful (I believe #1 in the world for wasting water per capita. I digress).
6) Out of the resource rich countries, Canada`s political (notwithstanding lefty coup d`etat`s
and economic system is relatively stable, and we`re generally viewed as a peaceful country and a great place to live and raise families.
7) Our birth rate has declined, but immigration has sustained population growth.
8) India, and in particular, China, do have growing middle classes that have had a "taste" of the "American"/North American dream, and, over the long term, their demand and consumption of resources will dwarf - due to population dynamics - our demand, in time.

Therefore, growing world population, growing Canadian population, growing AB population (long term trends here) means more demand for real estate. Tensions, disparity between rich and poor, conflict, means Canada`s overall stability makes us look like a haven in the world`s eyes. Now add we are resource rich, or as Don puts it, F
ood, F
uel, F
ertilizer, means over the long haul, Canada should do well, especially if all our politicians could collectively pull their heads from their rear ends more than once-in-a-while.

Simplicity from a real estate perspective:
1) Choose your time frame. Say 1 to 40 years.
2) If its 1,2,3,4,5 years - i.e., relatively short, the shorter the time frame the more resemblance to a speculator you are. "Day Trader" mentality as REIN would put it. You are not in total control, as you are subject to the markets whims. If you bought last year, looking to flip this year, I`d say you`re toast.
3) I am guessing here - but most REIN members invested with a 5 to 10 year time frame. But what if the market takes 5-10 years to turn around (worst case scenario).
4) Then stretch your timeline, is what I say. If you followed a system, be it REIN`s, someone else`s, your own, whatever, what was your back-up plan? Every time money gets invested, do you formulate a plan whose basis is "What if I am wrong?" If you did make a plan based on that question, you`re probably doing fine.

All this market is doing to us REIN members is 2 things:1) We now get to see whose been swimming naked when the tide has gone out, 2) Everyone, whether they planned for it or not, has now had their investing horizon and timeline stretched. How big a deal is that. Depends.
Thomas Beyer has touched on this on another post, but again here are the absolute basics that I have tried to remember over the past several months.
1) Say you you did your best and achieved the hardest goal, as an example, buying three properties.
2) You`ll do awesome, if you have the right timeline. If you chose conventional mortgages, conventional downpayments, what happens?
A) If you want to wait 25 years, you`ll have had someone else pay off 75% of your cash flowing asset.
B) By the way, how does it feel to have a super-
cash flowing asset once the mortgage is paid off?
C) In the meantime, how much cash flow did it produce over 25 years? If you started right away with cash flow on the purchase, have their been rent increases for 25 years? What will a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment or 3 bedroom house go for in the year 2033? Did you have a sustainability fund to make through hard times and vacancies?
D) Equity - aren`t properties a hedge against inflation? Isn`t reasonable to think your property, on average, will appreciate 2%-4% a year? What will 3 properties be worth in 25 years? 10 years?

Now wait you say; "I wanted to have that happen in 10 years or less, or I don`t want or have time to wait 25 years."

Folks, its called due diligence, Gold mine scorecard, buying right, and being patient. That`s your edge and your hedge
. THANKS REIN
!

And also, the absoulte magic of buying more than one property, because once you have more than one, the math really starts to work in your favor. In the example above, what if real estate only does 2%-4% a year. Will you have to wait 25 years? Not necessarily -and this is but one reason why big investors can really win
. Because they have the power, flexibility, and choice to simply run the numbers on a simple spreadsheet and figure out how many x properties do I sell before 25 years to pay off y properties I keep. A little more advanced perhaps. But its simple math, in my opinion. If you have more than one property, do you really
have to wait 25 years on each property to be paid off to reap the benefits. Can you accelerate the process a bit by having more than one property? Look, some oaks grow faster than others, but they still turn into oaks, if you planted the seeds right.

I tried to say all of the above simply, not sure I really succeeded, lol.

Really, buying AB real estate and waiting as long as necessary will seem like a winner in the long run. At least to me. Don`t know if I can do what I wanted to do when, initially, I set out a 5 year goal. But really, it doesn`t matter that much if the game plan stretches out another 5 to 20 years.

You will win with real estate in this country and in this province, in my opinion. Its as close to inevitable as you can get. Just pick the right timeframe. And don`t stray from the fundamentals.

Smitty

Great post Smitty. I agree 100% as do most other REIN members, I bet even Jack. This is why we are all here. For the most part your statement above is a great way to introduce people to concept of RE investing. Give them the basics in a nut shell.

The issue with the above statement is the execution. Right now RE prices have dropped significantlly in Calgary, Vancouver and Edmonton, and the cash flow deals out there are still very few and far between. With 3000 REIN members all looking for these deals you need to be on your toes to close one.

I will guarantee that RE prices will be higher in 10 years than they are now, problem is can you hold ten yearswith out draining yourself finacially. I know a guy buying up multifamily @ 100k/door when he is only getting $750/month rent. I hope he sees enough rent appreciation that he can hold these properties, but if rents don`t go up he will loose money on them.

Anyway, you got the basics down and that optimistic attitude. That`s half the battle right there. If you can find some properties that truly cash flow, you are on your way to financial freedom.

Neil

nepoez

Registered
That`s the thing.. even with the massive decline, we are still not seeing too much cash flow. Maybe that shows that the price went up way to fast and need to go down more.

QUOTE (seeu22 @ Dec 30 2008, 05:41 PM) Great post Smitty. I agree 100% as do most other REIN members, I bet even Jack. This is why we are all here. For the most part your statement above is a great way to introduce people to concept of RE investing. Give them the basics in a nut shell.

The issue with the above statement is the execution. Right now RE prices have dropped significantlly in Calgary, Vancouver and Edmonton, and the cash flow deals out there are still very few and far between. With 3000 REIN members all looking for these deals you need to be on your toes to close one.

I will guarantee that RE prices will be higher in 10 years than they are now, problem is can you hold ten years with out draining yourself finacially. I know a guy buying up multifamily @ 100k/door when he is only getting $750/month rent. I hope he sees enough rent appreciation that he can hold these properties, but if rents don`t go up he will loose money on them.

Anyway, you got the basics down and that optimistic attitude. That`s half the battle right there. If you can find some properties that truly cash flow, you are on your way to financial freedom.

Neil

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (seeu22 @ Dec 30 2008, 06:41 PM) I will guarantee that RE prices will be higher in 10 years than they are now, problem is can you hold ten years with out draining yourself financially.indeed .. read this article here: II know a guy buying up multifamily @ 100k/door when he is only getting $750/month rent. I hope he sees enough rent appreciation that he can hold these properties, but if rents don`t go up he will loose money on them.

how about: 65/door and $600- $700 / month plus tenants pay all utilities .. our most apartment building recent purchase !

QUOTE (seeu22 @ Dec 30 2008, 06:41 PM) Anyway, you got the basics down and that optimistic attitude. That`s half the battle right there. If you can find some properties that truly cash flow, you are on your way to financial freedom.

indeed .. buy any REAL asset with enough income to offset all costs including debt .. easiest with government insured, low interest rate CMHC debt .. we just locked in a very large 5 year CMHC insured mortgage on a very large property
with excellent cash flow at

3.5 % .. WOW !

seeu22

Registered
QUOTE (thomasbeyer2000 @ Dec 30 2008, 09:26 PM) how about: 65/door and $600- $700 / month plus tenants pay all utilities .. our most apartment building recent purchase !

indeed .. buy any REAL asset with enough income to offset all costs including debt .. easiest with government insured, low interest rate CMHC debt .. we just locked in a very large 5 year CMHC insured mortgage on a very large property
with excellent cash flow at

3.5 % .. WOW !

Absolutely Thomas. There are good cash flow deals out there. I find a lot of them to be out of reach of the regular joe investor type. If you are buying multi unit properties that trade based on revenue they have to cash flow or they won`t sell. I`ve dealt with sellers who have unrealistic expectations on large scale multi family deals, either they end up lowering their asking price or holding on to the property.

On the other hand people buying up duplexes and other smaller properties are still paying premiums for them based on their potential revenue, yet these are the properties that most REIN members can afford to look at. Unfortunately many REIN members end up purchasing property that won`t cash flow in the long run, especially give todays rather dire economic situation.

Neil

Jack

Registered
QUOTE D) Equity - aren`t properties a hedge against inflation? Isn`t reasonable to think your property, on average, will appreciate 2%-4% a year? What will 3 properties be worth in 25 years? 10 years?First of all, very good post. Great read.

Just a couple questions:

[*]How is R/E a hedge against inflation? I`ve read this a number of times on these boards, and it doesn`t really make much sense to me. When I hear the word "hedge", I assume that the underlying asset being used for a hedge will be of value if the object being hedged against does not go as planned
. Example - a nice hedge against betting that the Canadian dollar will go down is buying shares in an energy index, since they`re directly related. Unless you think that we`re not going to be experiencing inflation in the coming years, I don`t really see how R/E is a "hedge" against it.Howcome you only mention the benefits of Alberta? This is one thing that`s a little frustrating to me, personally, is that REIN may as well be called A
REIN, with the "A" obviously standing for Alberta. I`d love for other parts of the country to be spoken about more regularly, as there are certainly other viable investment options. There`s no way that I`m sticking only to Alberta, when analyzing a region to invest. Especially with the tens of millions of dollars of investment that have just been cancelled
this year, and who knows how much more is to come.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (seeu22 @ Dec 31 2008, 01:25 AM) Absolutely Thomas. There are good cash flow deals out there. I find a lot of them to be out of reach of the regular joe investor type. If you are buying multi unit properties that trade based on revenue they have to cash flow or they won`t sell. I`ve dealt with sellers who have unrealistic expectations on large scale multi family deals, either they end up lowering their asking price or holding on to the property.

On the other hand people buying up duplexes and other smaller properties are still paying premiums for them based on their potential revenue, yet these are the properties that most REIN members can afford to look at. Unfortunately many REIN members end up purchasing property that won`t cash flow in the long run, especially give todays rather dire economic situation.

Neil
indeed prices going-in have to be realistic .. as do rent growth and vacancy assumptions .. patience on the buy side right now is a virtue (it has always been actually) as more bargains will come in 2009 with MOST NEGATIVITY in 1Q and 2Q 2009 !

nepoez

Registered
That`s the thing... and I find myself settling for break even properties this year. I promised myself not to do that in 2009.

QUOTE (seeu22 @ Dec 31 2008, 12:25 AM) There are good cash flow deals out there. I find a lot of them to be out of reach of the regular joe investor type.

GarthChapman

Registered
QUOTE (nepoez @ Dec 31 2008, 11:17 AM) That`s the thing... and I find myself settling for break even properties this year. I promised myself not to do that in 2009.

Don`t settle. Unless there is a huge instant equity gain (ie buying way below market value). Just keep looking; maybe you have to look differently, but keep looking.

Those who have settled in the last few years have not had to pay the price due to huge asset appreciation and rent increases - but that market is over.

Nir

REIN Member
I used to be strong in theory as well, my engineering background had way too much influence.
Jack, Smitty, when you start seeing even just $1,000 net positive cash flow after financing from a property, that`s when extreme analysis will be replaced by action and Macro economic talks by micro economics and property specific (putting offers!). Money talks guys, in 2009 I wish you find this kind of property, then no one will be able to prevent even Jack from buying more. That`s the bottom line.
The best advice I can give you wherever you choose to buy is:
Buy Positive cash flow Plexes with at least $200/door net after financing!!! ideally with long term tenants (some will disagree with long term tenants idea, i recommend it in the beginning so you start with less headaches and it will really seem like you made money from nothing).
Of course you should always have a home inspection, do your due diligence regarding the area etc.
The first great positive cash flow property will take you the longest to purchase, the second will already be much easier psychologically, the third much less time etc..
It`s beyond anyone`s power to make you think differently so you start purchasing. after you start purchasing such properties it will be beyond anyone`s power to stop you.
Good luck,
Neil

Top Bottom