Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Anybody follow Garth Turner blog ?

Emil1753

Inspired Forum Member
Registered
Hi guys,

Garth Turner is a best-selling author, financial commentator, blogger, lecturer and entrepreneur and has twice served as a Member of Paliament in Canada’s House of Commons. He also is a member of Canada’s Privy Council. He was educated at the University of Toronto, and the University of Western Ontario

I`ve been following Garth Turner`s blog for a few months now

He is very, very adamant of a Canadian housing explosion and deflation similar to that the US is currently experiencing.
He has stated on numerous occasions that the Canadian housing market will see corrections of up to 20% or more.
He updates his blog daily with extremely interesting reads and I read it religiously.

Anyone else been reading his blog?
if so...

What are your thoughts? Will we be seeing a housing bust?

housedoc

Registered
I agree with Garth that too many have gorged on cheap money, and that it will get ugly for those who are spread too thin.

I wouldn`t guess he has many fans here.

RedlineBrett

Registered
Bad news sells hence Garth T somehow earns a living. His is one man`s opinion.

The bottom line is people have to live somewhere. Not many places better than Canada so there will be no exodus.

Most Canadians can`t afford to let their house go for 80% of what they paid so they just won`t sell. I see this from the front lines every day.

Less sales will mean people tied to the real estate industry will just continue to make less money and/or change careers until the global markets recover... same as it`s been for over a year now. Some people will lose it all and they`ll get more press than their numbers warrant (bad news sells again).

tbarcier

Registered
I was trying hard to stay away from this one, however it didn`t work. I have strong feelings when it comes to this man. Great marketer. He wants to sell books, and he does. Just like people pick up newspapers with the Doom and Gloom headlines. It just sells better. And I agree with Brett, it`s his opinion. And I have an opinion too, as do all of us. As far as the advice he is giving, ludicrous. I am certain that Garth does not live by his own advice. I don`t trust the man at all. If I had listened to him two years ago, I would still be living in my little apartment looking out the window waiting for the sky to fall. The real "Greater Fool" is the one who buys into what this man is selling. But, hey, that`s just my opinion.

Oh and BTW, just go back 10 years. He is spouting the exact same stuff! This man is wrong so many times, I don`t understand how he is still around.

ChrisDavies

Registered
QUOTE (Platinum @ Oct 22 2009, 11:20 AM) What are your thoughts?

If he`s had any thoughts that make sense, I`ve failed to see it through the layers of fruitcake and self-promotion. There`s one liners that make some sense, but he`s so full of crap it makes my head hurt.

TandDGil

Registered
Hate to ever say anything negative, but Garth...

He advised people to buy Nortel as $100. Said to get second mortgages. We had friends who took his advice.

Now he`s talking up US real estate at conventions in the US where he is paid fees to speak.

Not negative (we never are!) but some facts.

Tom and Diane (Diane writing)

JimWhitelaw

Registered
I think the best that can be said for Garth Turner is that his writing is always good for a laugh.

CalvinPeters

Registered
"I was trying hard to stay away from this one, however it didn`t work. I have strong feelings when it comes to this man. Great marketer. He wants to sell books, and he does. Just like people pick up newspapers with the Doom and Gloom headlines. It just sells better. And I agree with Brett, it`s his opinion. And I have an opinion too, as do all of us. As far as the advice he is giving, ludicrous. I am certain that Garth does not live by his own advice. I don`t trust the man at all. If I had listened to him two years ago, I would still be living in my little apartment looking out the window waiting for the sky to fall. The real "Greater Fool" is the one who buys into what this man is selling. But, hey, that`s just my opinion.

Oh and BTW, just go back 10 years. He is spouting the exact same stuff! This man is wrong so many times, I don`t understand how he is still around.

This post has been edited by tbarcier: Yesterday, 05:50 PM"

there, thanks for that, saved me from having to say anything. I agree, totally.

BrianPersaud

Registered
QUOTE (Nukav @ Oct 23 2009, 02:03 PM) "I was trying hard to stay away from this one, however it didn`t work. I have strong feelings when it comes to this man. Great marketer. He wants to sell books, and he does. Just like people pick up newspapers with the Doom and Gloom headlines. It just sells better. And I agree with Brett, it`s his opinion. And I have an opinion too, as do all of us. As far as the advice he is giving, ludicrous. I am certain that Garth does not live by his own advice. I don`t trust the man at all. If I had listened to him two years ago, I would still be living in my little apartment looking out the window waiting for the sky to fall. The real "Greater Fool" is the one who buys into what this man is selling. But, hey, that`s just my opinion.

This post has been edited by tbarcier: Yesterday, 05:50 PM"

there, thanks for that, saved me from having to say anything. I agree, totally.

One of these years Garth Turner would be right

April 2009
I think the banks will be much more restrictive in their lending, and I think you will see far less speculation in the real
estate marketplace and so a dampening on price escalation.

Flash forward to September 2009

"So I was wrong. Duh of course I was wrong. I actually attributed some common sense and rational thought to the city of Toronto"

Top Bottom